Open Tyrian

Magic Sam

Forever Homebrew
Hi all :)

@TrashyMG : I just gave your Open Tyrian port a quick go:

It does start on my Pyra but in windowed mode (if I understand correctly, fullscreen SDL games are not yet possible). Navigating through the menu with the DPAD is quite complicated (it goes from one item to the other way too fast). It's also possible to use the nubs but again it's tricky.

The game itself runs smoothly, and with sound :)

Cheers, Magic Sam

Nice Game..thank you for porting.

How about GL4ES OpenGL Fullscreen instead of SDL?

Or when you compile SDL new..maybe OpenGL will be rekognized for a SDL/OpenGL Screen?

Or maybe you can run this Game in pseudo Fullscreen in a Window who have the Size of the Pyra Screen with Command Line Options?

Unfortunaly i do not own a Pyra yet...i had Email that my Device is Ready and did Payment on the same Day before around 3 Weeks.

Another Idea is to stretch the SDL Window to a Window in Fullscreen Size with some Export Commands.

i do not know much about that but maybe some of my Ideas will help to get the Game to Fullscreen.
And when it work in any Way like this..maybe you can write a howto for Others how you did it get working :)

@TrashyMG : I just gave your Open Tyrian port a quick go:

It does start on my Pyra but in windowed mode (if I understand correctly, fullscreen SDL games are not yet possible). Navigating through the menu with the DPAD is quite complicated (it goes from one item to the other way too fast). It's also possible to use the nubs but again it's tricky.

The game itself runs smoothly, and with sound :)

Cheers, Magic Sam
Yeah the windowed mode is what it is at the moment, but the oddity with the D-Pad is something I'm not sure where it's coming from, I didn't have this issue on the devboard, so wondering if it may be something with funkymonkey or something else unique to the Pyra.

I can look at compiling it again with a different SDL renderer, but not sure I have time for that for a while.

I think it was because funkey is turning the dpad events into both joystick and keyboard events, and tyrian looks at both, something like that anyway

Sorry for the stupid question, but could someone please tell me what "funkymonkey" is ?

Cheers, Magic Sam
No expert, but from what I heard is a program (some kidn of daemon) that listens to the various keys and buttons and controls in the pyra and translates them to events that the game, desktop environment or input layer can use.
It's maybe not exclusive of the Pyra, but it's quite tailored to it, and can be configured for different behaviours. It's not something you find in a normal linux desktop.

I just installed @ouzle SDL1.2 package and the game is indeed fullscreen now, but it doesn't scale yet (the game area is quite small and centered and there's a lot of empty black space around it).

I also turned the gamepad off using pyrainputctl, and it did fix the issue with the menu, though I have to use the space bar to shoot now :)

Am I missing something ?

Cheers, Magic Sam

I just installed @ouzle SDL1.2 package and the game is indeed fullscreen now, but it doesn't scale yet (the game area is quite small and centered and there's a lot of empty black space around it).

I also turned the gamepad off using pyrainputctl, and it did fix the issue with the menu, though I have to use the space bar to shoot now :)

Am I missing something ?

Cheers, Magic Sam
You will need to go into the options and change the scalar to a bigger one, I believe there is a normal3x that works well for the Pyra screen size. However IMO we still need proper scaling to have a viable gaming platform and not require the game itself to do such things.

Last edited:
The D-Pad thing seems to only happen on SDL 1.2, it's a strange issue :(
I've been having a blast on open tyrian this evening. I think the joystick glitch is some duplicate key assignments for the joystick setting in the tyrian menu. If you can get as far as the joystick menu, you can reassign the buttons properly and then it works as it should.

Or you can put this in ~/.opentyrian/joystick.conf:
Code:
{
    "pyraInput Gamepad":    {
        "analog":    false,
        "sensitivity":    5,
        "threshold":    5,
        "assignments":    [["BTN 5"], ["AX 1+"], ["AX 2+"], ["AX 1-"], ["BTN 1"], ["BTN 2"], ["BTN 3"], ["BTN 4"], ["BTN 5"], ["BTN 6"]]
    }
}

Last edited:
I had time to play with it a little, and yeah even with a 3x scalar it doesn't seem to fit the screen. Think we need some method of hardware scaling, not sure if it's implemented yet or needs work still.

The game won't start anymore. I also tested with a new installation of PyraOS booted from SD card and it doesn't run either.
The game did run about a year ago, so i think a system update must have broken some dependencies or something like that.
I also tried to reinstall SDL and the pyra specific SDL packages.
Any ideas?

Still works on mine, but I'm running off a nearly 2 year old OS install with the normal apt upgrades. That said It's been about a week since I did an update.

There is Pyra specific SDL packages now? If they're SDL 2 packages, it'll likely not affect Opentyrian as it's SDL 1.2.

Can take a look in a several hours, still at work.

Last edited:
For SDL1.2 this package is installed: libsdl1.2pyra_1.2.15+dfsg2-8_armhf.deb

Is there a way to run dbp files with terminal output? Would surely help troubleshooting.

For SDL1.2 this package is installed: libsdl1.2pyra_1.2.15+dfsg2-8_armhf.deb

Is there a way to run dbp files with terminal output? Would surely help troubleshooting.
It's the best feature of the DBP system vs the Pandora's PND system, you can just run them from command prompt once you put in the SD card. You should be able to just run it by typing opentyrian in the command line.

Last edited:
Reactions: rSl
Back