opkg upgrades

kaprikawn

Very Active Member
Website
kaprikawn.wordpress.com
I have my Pandora booting from the SD card and I've installed Firefox using an

sudo opkg install firefox

When I try to launch it though I get an error message saying that my version of sqlite is out of date. The error message reads:

SQLite Version Error - The application has been updated, but your version of SQLite is too old and the application cannot run.

Couple of questions:

1) How do you upgrade individual packages using opkg? (I've previously tried upgrading the lot and it borked my Pandora, the keyboard didn't work, so that's not an option).

2) What package(s) do I need for Firefox exactly? Is it sqlite3? Because according to the following webpage, none of the dependancies involve anything sqlite related:

http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=firefox

And before anyone says anything, yes, I know Firefox is available as a PND, I would still appreciate answers to my questions that aren't 'Use the PND instead'.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Opkg problem :

I did :

opkg update

opkg upgrade

It downloaded and installed a big bunch of data and / is now full ^^

I can't even open a terminal : input/output error :rolleyes:

seems "opkg upgrade" was more an ~"install all"

ZaxxonHF5RC1 was used.

So what is wrong in the setting of this command ?

It clearly wasn't an update, it even installed fftw :lol:

By the way, i just acceded a terminal. I launched rxvt.

/ use 94%

Not sure i/o errors linked to that...

But, normally, an apt-get (or whatever the tool) upgrade upgrades the packages currently installed on your system, so why opkg installed soooo much stuff ?

I understood that, but why the heck a simple update bloats the system.

I just want software a, b and c updated, not x, y, z installed.

Btw, thanks for your answers.

I understood that, but why the heck a simple update bloats the system.

I just want software a, b and c updated, not x, y, z installed.

Because a package manager caches the package list onto the NAND, and that needs a lot of space :/

It's _only_ the packages list ? (I meant not the unzipped and installed ones)

It downloaded and installed packages during a long period. More than 1 hour i think.

Oh, and my bad about fftw, it's installed by default (just reflashed ^^).

# opkg list-installed | grep fftw

libfftw3f3 - 3.2.2-r1.5

Note that i'm just playing around, i had no believing it will update the official OP / ^^

I just took an interested look at here :

The Pandora is running a mix of beta and official packages, and probably a few custom built packages. The repo points to the beta packages. When you do an upgrade, it replaces the official and custom packages that have been manually installed with beta packages that may be a higher version but do not necessarily (and frequently don't) work. Do Not Do An opkg upgrade! It will not work. Yet. I know ED wants to utilize the opkg system at some point, having their own repo with Pandora specific packages, but I don't think that has happened yet. At least, I can't find any information about it in the HF5 pages (though I admit I only glanced briefly through them).

Ok, but why the overbloat ? Isn't it an almost 1:1 size replacement ?

Ok, but why the overbloat ? Isn't it an almost 1:1 size replacement ?

If I understand your question correctly, you're asking why running "opkg upgrade" might take significantly more space than just swapping out the packages in the first place (for example, why does it take more than 15KB to exchange PackageX-1.0 with PackageX-1.1, even though PackageX-1.1 is only 15KB bigger than the 1.0 version)?

The trick is in how the package manager works. Typically, package managers cache every version (or the current version) of every package file you've downloaded. Thus, the space required for the new version of a package is, in the worst case scenario:

Code:
(Previous version Package Files) + (Current version Package File) + (Actual installed program)

These package managers usually come with a cache-cleaning command. For Debian's Apt and Dpkg system, it's "apt-get clean". I'd suggest you try whatever opkg's version of that is, try running the "man opkg" command at a command line.

Yes you understood it perfectly :D ' .

So it would be better to use this with a SD card :

--cache <directory> Use a package cache

Worth the command :

opkg update

opkg list-upgradable

The list is long ^^.

Thanks all.

Because a package manager caches the package list onto the NAND, and that needs a lot of space :/
Actually: openwrt has about the same problems, but then with 1.5MB left for installing.

They cache the packagelist in tmpfs, which means you have to opkg update after every reboot, but only if you want to install something.

Of course, then there is metadata of installed packages, but as far as I've seen, the metadata consists of a file list per package.

But, normally, an apt-get (or whatever the tool) upgrade upgrades the packages currently installed on your system, so why opkg installed soooo much stuff ?
Oh, yes... apt-get can blow up your system too :).

There are some dependencies in the pandora specific parts, which somehow depend on normal packages, which somehow suck in all available themes for the new xfce.

The pandora opkg is not E_NOSPACE proof (I guess this is true for every opkg).

These kind of things (except the E_NOSPACE part, which is pretty solid in apt-get) will happen with apt-get too, but you usually de-install the specific cullprits, because you have space ;-).

Back