Our New Machine, Pandora

Should this thread die?

• Yes, kill it now!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maybe move it to off-topic?

• No, let it live until its natural death!

• Total voters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squidge said:
Karel Jansens said:
According to the European Consumer Directive, it'll have to come with at least two years of warranty within the EU.
Where does it say two years? I thought the legal requirement was 12 months.

Karel is right, two years of warranty within the UE is required by law. Just google for the 1999/44/EC european directive.

Last edited by a moderator:
CoMiKe said:
It seems the second year of warranty in the EU is covered by the seller, and not the manufacturer, although I'm not completely sure.
The EU warranty is always covered by the seller; who the seller goes to to cover his losses, is no worry to the buyer.

Even worse (from the seller's point of view, that is): If a defect occurs in the first six months after purchase, the buyer doesn't even have to prove it was a manufacturing defect; it is assumed by the law to be so (and proving the contrary is not easy for the seller).

In fact, this would mean that if you buy something in the EU and get tired of it after two or three months, all you have to do is creatively take a hammer/high voltage to it and you get your money back. Just make sure it's broken beyond repair within a reasonable amount of time (three months, IIRC).

How long does the seller get to refund or replace the item? Last time I had product go faulty it took 2 months to replace it, no refund whatsoever, and that even included keeping in touch with trading standards (Who seemed to be no help whatsoever other than "We need to give them 2 weeks to reply to our email.", and then it was a second email and a further 2 weeks incase the first got 'lost', etc. How an email gets lost I've no idea.)

It's much easier when it's a local shop as you can go down there and make a complete nuisance of yourself until something is done (They always seem to give in way before you do, even after they have usually said they'll get the police involved if you don't leave).

50981237rb6.png
"Sir, you're making a scene"
50981237rb6.png

Squidge said:
How long does the seller get to refund or replace the item? Last time I had product go faulty it took 2 months to replace it, no refund whatsoever, and that even included keeping in touch with trading standards (Who seemed to be no help whatsoever other than "We need to give them 2 weeks to reply to our email.", and then it was a second email and a further 2 weeks incase the first got 'lost', etc. How an email gets lost I've no idea.)

It's much easier when it's a local shop as you can go down there and make a complete nuisance of yourself until something is done (They always seem to give in way before you do, even after they have usually said they'll get the police involved if you don't leave).
I believe it's three months. At least that was the time period elapsed after which I got my money back on my last purchase that went sour. That's to say: After three months I got somewhat pissed at Carrefour for not giving me my DVD/HDD recorder back in working order and after a minor scene (I'm getting good at those) bills of money were thrown in my general direction on the accord that I'd leave the premises post haste. So I guess it works with the big guys as well. ;)

(Oh yeah: I used the cash to get a similar recorder from LiDL, which has been working flawlessly ever since)

Karel Jansens said:
(Oh yeah: I used the cash to get a similar recorder from LiDL, which has been working flawlessly ever since)
Good ol' LiDL. I just bought a circular saw from them. Evil deeds, ahoy!

Nova said:
Karel Jansens said:

Or their seemingly identical twin, Aldi. I got loads of cool stuff from there, including a dremel-like tool with loads of bits. Pure genius.

Aldi, the Pepsi to Lidl's coke.

Goobers said:
Nova said:
Karel Jansens said:

Or their seemingly identical twin, Aldi. I got loads of cool stuff from there, including a dremel-like tool with loads of bits. Pure genius.

Aldi, the Pepsi to Lidl's coke.

Ooh, dremel-like tools eh? Looks like I'm taking a trip to Aldi!

Both Aldi and LiDL often have nice offers, but "caveat emptor", as the Roman philosopher Walmartus used to say. It's not the first time one of their "offers" turned out to be more expensive than a similar, regularly carried item in another store.

As to Dremel: I bought the accessories in Aldi (I think, I get them mixed up), but the Dremel was the original (LiIon wireless) article. Never regretted either purchase...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back