Ouya - Android based open gaming console

You know what the Ouya is the perfect home console in a way cheap , android , instant access to games , and appeals to parents who don't want to pay pay a whole lotta $€£¥ for Lil Bobby likes and can't complete licensed games collection

Yep, as said. But it's nothing spectactular or revolutionary.
exactly ! Well you could say its revolutionary for its price point ( it is a home console after all )

I think people jumped onto it for a lot of different reasons.

1) Those that want to use it as a cheap hobby board

2) Those who want to root it to do there own thing

3) Those that want to play emulators on it cheaply

But, most importantly, there has been an overwhelming shift into mobile gaming as mobile games are dirt cheap. Have a look at any review for handhelds that come out these days, look in the comments section and there will be numerous comments about why would people buy a handheld when they can play quality games on there mobile device for not even 1/10th of the game price. The downside being you don't have real controls to play them. Thus is the argument that breaks out in the comments section of every engadget handheld review.

However, what if you can get a cheap Android device with decent spec that plays games using a controller. Hmmm, ultra cheap games I can now play with a controller. It's the right device at the right time to cater for the growing market sentiment and desire to play cheap mobile games and eliminates the hurdle of those who want to play them with a controller. This is why it was sucessfull in my opinion.

was listening to the radio today on the way back from work and ouya now have radio comercials advertising the console. looks like there trying to broaden their market.

What is so new/revolutionary about Ouya? Just take a cheap PC without keyboard, mouse, monitor; add a good video card and a USB gamepad, and voila, you got yourself an open gaming console. Should be doable for $100 if you omit (like Ouya) things like a hard disk, dvd drive etc.

You can't build an x86 PC + gamepad for $100, that's totally unrealistic. You'd have a hard time getting the CPU + motherboard for that cost alone, since you'd need something with integrated video to avoid the $30+ of even the very lowest end discrete cards available. Add RAM (you won't save an awful lot on 1GB DIMMs because no one wants them), case, and PSU and you'll be way over the limit. That's not including the 8GB internal storage, which you'd probably come closest to supplying with an internal thumb drive. Nor is it including the wireless gamepad which will cost you at least $20 if you want something that isn't garbage.

You could save a bit by going with an Atom + motherboard, they sell those in soldered on combos for $70. But then you're looking at a GPU that's even beneath Tegra 3's, and further hindered by very low quality drivers.

There aren't many decent quality ARM eval boards under $100 either, and you'd still have to supply the case and controller. Really the closest solution is the ~$70 Allwinner A10 Android stick, although that's weaker.

OUYA does have appeal in being cheap hardware that you can't package otherwise, to be used with software that they don't have to pay for. And people will buy it for just that. But what OUYA is really aiming for is getting people to buy games for this, including expensive games. If not a lot of games sell then this will only be considered a mild success at best, depending on how much money they're actually making per unit (probably very little, if anything).

^^ You better believe I have thought about doing that many times. Will see when its launched.

If only you could buy a 5" touch screen and connect it simply to these boards or one of those PC sticks like the MK808 etc. Or is there?

Last edited by a moderator:
ouya mobile, anyone?

Just as unrevolutionary as the set-top box, but handheld!

Interested to see if the controller will work universally with Android

By the time this comes out it'll probably outdated . But then so is the case with any other console .

The T3 is still very decent, the Ouya will use the faster T3 variant and it will also be tweaked to get even more out of it. Remember there is no power saving for a battery that needs to be done.

If you've used a N7 you will know its still quite a decent soc, the T3 used in the Ouya will be a faster variant to the one found in the N7.

Personally I think it's great to see they are moving along to schedule. There has been a lot of doubters, a lot of people even going as far as saying it was a scam.

It's also good to see Ubuntu was ported to the T3 which makes the Ouya even more compelling.

handsOUYA1.png

^^^^^The worlds smallest toaster!

Id imagine the ouya will be modestly successful and a decent community should develope around it.

I guess to some, perhaps kids and girls it's minute size will seem cute.

Waiiiit ... That's really how big the Ouya is ?! o_O

Sorry I haven't really checked on its progress in a bit it's just that ... you expect a home console to way more than its controller .

Waiiiit ... That's really how big the Ouya is ?! o_O

Sorry I haven't really checked on its progress in a bit it's just that ... you expect a home console to way more than its controller .
It was sayed at the beginning that the size will be around a Rubik's Cube. ;)

Has anyone ever produced a game controller with a battery, processor and video-out cable?

(imagine a pandora with no screen)

Back