Pager or text viewer on eInk?

λ the β-Redex Reducer

β-Redex Reducing Member
What do you guys use as pager or text viewer? I used to use less but now I find that more is quite effective too, so I changed my PAGER environment variable to more and also changed my ~/.config/mimeapps.list to use more for text files which I want to view using my pager. I do not understand why people insist on using less if they can also have more.

BTW, kudos to ed for having such an elinks friendly forum.

FBnil

Pyraturi te salutant
I've incorporated 2 things in my listing:

1. I clear the screen and the screen buffer with:
Code:
alias cls='clear && echo -en "\e[3J"'
This allows me to go up/down cleanly over one logfile with SHIFT+PGUP/PGDN

2. I've added colouring to certain keywords (highlight)
Code:
$ cat ~/bin/highlight
#!/usr/bin/perl
use Term::ANSIColor;
@C = ('black on_yellow','black on_green','black on_cyan','black on_red', 'red on_white', 'black on_magenta', 'white on_red', 'white on_blue', 'blue on_white', 'yellow on_cyan' );
while(<STDIN>){
        for $i (0..$#C){
                s/($ARGV[$i])/&colored($1,$C[$i])/gexi if($ARGV[$i]);
        }
        print;
}

I shorten it with:
Code:
alias hl=highlight

This allows me to:
Code:
cls;cat $file |hl text1 thing2 otherthing
and then go up and down the xterm buffer. I can not find other things, but can type or paste anything because the prompt is waiting already (instead of having to quit first)

Not sure about e-ink displays.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
I use less. It's especially useful since you can navigate around the file in a kind of vi-ish fashion; at the very least 1G takes you to the head of the file and G takes you to the end, although in just testing it now I've notices that lower case G (g) takes you to the head of the file as well. Also you can search for things with regexp by typing forward slash (/). Using those together can be especially useful over a slow ssh link, if you know what to search for at the very least can be a much better way to navigate a big file, because if you just page down lots you're likely to enter too many and buffer up a load and overshoot wherever you want to go even on a relatively quick connection.