Painted pandoras?

skeezix

Internal Development
Website
www.codejedi.com
Anyone in the last year or two ever paint their pandora?

I've always steered very clear away from such adventures, since my experience with paint + plastic have always gone awry (you have to be very particular about paint selection to get one that sticks to plastic; plus getting one that feels good, that also lets you put a clear good fealing selant on top is another trick; and getting one that allows multiple colours to be right up against each other...)

But I'm curious.. anyone got some wicked looking pandoras? :)

jeff

Scooby doo, or his other alias if you prefer it, has a pic on the boards of his 3 Pandoras and one of them is painted black. I have considered it but I don't want to take my Pandora apart unless its really necessary.

EvilDragon and I planned to paint a case red for me, but unfortunately (like all other not so important stuff) we didn't manage to do this because of the lack of time :-(

If you paint the case does it all go back together OK ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Scooby doo, or his other alias if you prefer it, has a pic on the boards of his 3 Pandoras and one of them is painted black. I have considered it but I don't want to take my Pandora apart unless its really necessary.
Isn't black the default color? At least before the 1GHz models with their silver/platinum case.

Don't get any paint on the inside of the L/R buttons or around the peg where they pivot in the case....

Hi!

if you want to paint your Pandora I recommend you to use an Acrylic paint. It's (as it's name says) a water based paint wich will be the type that better sticks with plastic....of course you can also find it in spray. I know a litle about spray painting as one of my passions is to restore old bikes.... so I recommend you to paint it slowly in diferent times. The way of getting a smooth perfect surface is:

First of all you have to shake effusively the spray can about 3 min. and then try painting till you get sure it's not leaving "drops" on the painted surface.

Prepare your Pandora, clean it and dry it.

Paint it in a distance between 25-35 cm with short/thin layers (it doesn't care if you can't cover all the surface in one time... its better to wait 10 min. and paint a "new layer" than trying making all at once )

while you are painting Keep mooving the spray can all the time in a kind of circular movements... if not you can 'shot' to much paint and create drops or an over paint density...

You must do between 3 and 6 layers

I think that way you will get a nearly "pro" paint...

Sorry for my english I hope it will help

Both your english, and your advice look very good :)

I look forward to some pandora-painting...

Hi!

if you want to paint your Pandora I recommend you to use an Acrylic paint. It's (as it's name says) a water based paint wich will be the type that better sticks with plastic....of course you can also find it in spray. I know a litle about spray painting as one of my passions is to restore old bikes.... so I recommend you to paint it slowly in diferent times. The way of getting a smooth perfect surface is:

First of all you have to shake effusively the spray can about 3 min. and then try painting till you get sure it's not leaving "drops" on the painted surface.

Prepare your Pandora, clean it and dry it.

Paint it in a distance between 25-35 cm with short/thin layers (it doesn't care if you can't cover all the surface in one time... its better to wait 10 min. and paint a "new layer" than trying making all at once )

while you are painting Keep mooving the spray can all the time in a kind of circular movements... if not you can 'shot' to much paint and create drops or an over paint density...

You must do between 3 and 6 layers

I think that way you will get a nearly "pro" paint...

Sorry for my english I hope it will help

Can I just add that acrylic paints would be a real no no here

I use acrylic paints on a daily basis and have done over several years ( miniature figure painting ) and even after long drying times they

will wear away quite quickly if handled excessively so to use on a handheld really is not a good idea. I suppose you could put on a layer

of gloss varnish but then you end up with a horrid highgloss finish which would protect the paint but add another layer. Model figures that are

handled on a regular basis are given a coat of gloss then a coat of matt varnish, again this method would add yet another coat.

I'm thinking about getting another case to paint that, but I'm worried about the warranty if I would take my Panda apart to stick it into another case :S

I'm thinking about getting another case to paint that, but I'm worried about the warranty if I would take my Panda apart to stick it into another case :S
I suspect that ED will take the line that its still under warranty unless you were careless and obviously broke it when you took it apart.

tumi said:
if you want to paint your Pandora I recommend you to use an Acrylic paint.
I was going to use finger paint xD

Cas said:
I use acrylic paints on a daily basis and have done over several years ( miniature figure painting ) and even after long drying times they
will wear away quite quickly if handled excessively so to use on a handheld really is not a good idea.
Used to play and paint 40k. I still paint some cool models for fun sometimes...

Acrylic paint would probably rub off due to constant usage.

Not sure what colour to use yet. Helmetspray as base coat? hmh dunno. Does anyone know what type of plastic is beeing used für the black and the silver cases? The case should be marked somewhere inside.

Hi again, sorry for my delay... I was in hollidays

I agree that with long time usage, acrylic paint will rub off... But i also think it will happen probably with any kind of spray paint... I think that better than varnishing its to make a kind of "primer layer" with primer paint and then add "your favourite colour". ... I think it's also a good idea to polish a little the surface of the shell to create "pore" wich will allow the paint to stick better.

I also have to say... That i've a biike painted with acrylic paint since some years ago now and the paint is perfect ... I've done a few prime paint layer and no varnish. ;)

Sometimes automotive paint which is laquer based is refered to as acrylic paint. Perhaps that is what tumi is refering to, it is not water based though...

Yeah you might be right... I'm gonna get one of those "cheap" shells and try... I'll post it.... Thanks!

Back