Pandora 2 should have dual screens

Last edited by a moderator:
http://encyclopedia2.thefreedictionary.com/PS+one

Even the PS3 is portable:

http://gematsu.com/2010/04/playstation-3-gets-portable-hd-monitor-next-month

The battery-backpack is heavy, though.

Why not add support for a USB touchscreen? So it can be an add-on...

(These devices exist already,  http://gavinmhackeling.com/blog/2012/12/how-to-use-an-external-displaylink-monitor-with-linux/

Here is a dutch site:

http://www.beetronics.nl/p/59/7-inch-USB-touchscreen )
Good idea, but then it won't be that portable.  You have to carry around another screen and have to be placed on a table to play.  

Call me crazy but in my opinion, the next iteration of our beloved Pandora should have two screens  and 3D capable.

and where do you put the keyboard?

I don't want a new DS. That would suck bad. And what's the point anyway, just for DS emulation? Buy a DS again. Or a 3DS if that's what you really want.
For those who want the physical keyboard, call me crazy but the full keyboard could be on the bottom side of the second screen.  When you want to code or type using physical keyboard, just twist the second screen 180-degree over and there you have your physical keyboard! You can put the battery on the back of the top screen.   :D
The reason the Pandora is a clamshell is that is the only opensource formfactor for a handheld computer. All other formfactors require licensing fees and other non-free limitations
This still allows clamshell design on the P2.  Just fold it over and snap on the cover for the second screen.  The physical keyboard would face the the 1st screen just like P1 now. 

I tell you what would be neat, if money and time were no object: a clamshell handheld where the top screen could be lifted and rotated by 90 degrees to put it into a vertical orientation. Would be ideal for DraStic, Vectrex emulation and any number of vertically scrolling shooters and older arcade games.

OK, if time and money doesn't count:

We need Pandora as it is designed.

Then put a 1mm flexible screen behind the LCD (between plastic and LCD).

If you need the second screen just bring it up.

I tell you what would be neat, if money and time were no object: a clamshell handheld where the top screen could be lifted and rotated by 90 degrees to put it into a vertical orientation. Would be ideal for DraStic, Vectrex emulation and any number of vertically scrolling shooters and older arcade games.
You can ask Ben Heck to modify P1 to do just this.  P2 needs to be more innovative  :D

A screen that is connected at the center, rotates up to 180 degrees, and can slide horizontally a bit would be pretty neat. Then you'd have vertical orientation with either dpad + face buttons exposed (with the horizontal sliding) or one nub + face buttons exposed (no sliding) and also an orientation with the screen completely on top of the bottom part for a touch-only mode.

But it seems like aside from being a much harder design it'd be a serious mechanical stability compromise, if you can even get something like that working at all :/

OK.  Thanks EssoAir.  So back to the topic. Is there a slim chance P2 is a dual-screen device?
No chance in hell :)

We don't even know if the P2 or whatever it would be called will be technically feasible at this stage. 
Who would think DS emulator would be feasible on the Pandora, but Exophase has proven everyone wrong.  A man can dream can he? Good dreams are what bring us all these good stuff  :D .  Of course bad dreams can also create misery for mankind :D   

Well you're is not a "bad" dream but a highly specific one. The P is supposed to be capable of all types of things, but without a keyboard its just a DS ripoff

It was already mentioned some time ago, that the P2 might be modular.

So if you have a screen (clamshelltop) with two connectors

(one on the bottom and one on the side),

vertical shooters and NDS orientation would indeed be possible. :)

A screen that is connected at the center, rotates up to 180 degrees, and can slide horizontally a bit would be pretty neat. Then you'd have vertical orientation with either dpad + face buttons exposed (with the horizontal sliding) or one nub + face buttons exposed (no sliding) and also an orientation with the screen completely on top of the bottom part for a touch-only mode.

But it seems like aside from being a much harder design it'd be a serious mechanical stability compromise, if you can even get something like that working at all :/
Yeah, almost certainly (hence why I reckon you'll need all the time in the world to try to make it reasonably robust).

Would it make more sense in your design to have it rotate about a point just above the hinge? Then you've less need to move side to side to expose either the d-pad or buttons properly. You'd also need to be able to move the screen in slightly (towards the user) so that it clears the hinge as it rotates.

My plan was to have it rotating about the center, but you'd need to be able to lift it up away from the hinge so the corner of the screen wouldn't interfere with it as it passes. Clearly, with the screen in a vertical orientation the center of the screen is further from the hinge as well, so the y-axis movement is essential.

Seems we both have to make the same compromises to make it work. Your design needs to shift along the z-axis to clear the hinge, mine along the y-axis. Mine would need a slot around the screen for the extension of the hinge to the axis would slide as you rotate the screen, while yours wouldn't need that, but you would have an axis of rotation nearer the hinge which I suspect would be more fragile. If you stick with the idea of rotating at the center and shifting left and right along the x-axis, that gives you three axes of movement - shifting along x, popping out along z and rotating about z.

Here's a picture wot I done to show my idea. Probably already patented by someone, but if not there you go:
Ud5YUur.png

Pre-edit: Nice idea, Klumpen.  That would certainly solve the problem.

I think I like Klumpen's idea the best too. Would make the screens easier to repair/replace/upgrade in addition to the other benefits.

I could see vertical orientation being a big deal for Android stuff. Especially since right now few add-on controllers can be used in either orientation, it'd be a major selling point for the device.

Hey how come I cannot post any new image from my PC to this thread?  I used to be able to go to "My Media" and browser my hard drive to find images to post. Have I gotten penalized or something?  I don't think I did anything wrong. :eek:

Back