Pandora 2 should have dual screens

Truly the only way to play Doom is triple screen.
I have to check if the Doomsday-Engine supports multiple screens (it should)....

I need more screens for Doom (1,2 Absolution), Heretic and especcially Hexen. *_*

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're going to do a dual-screen clam shell, do a palm-sized version of this:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/08/29/gscreens-spacebook-begins-shipping-this-november-doubles-your/

Really should only add the thickness of another screen.  That is fine for business application use, but is annoying for gaming.

The largest issue with gaming on a side-side dual screen device is that your icon/character/avatar nearly always winds up in the middle with the bezel running through it.

There is a solution - but for a symmetrical application would require 3 screens.

Starting with the Thinkpad W700 dual screen:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/18/thinkpad-w700-surfaces-with-secondary-10-6-inch-lcd/

That 2nd screen is a side-car on the right.  Put one on the left too.  So, two slide-out screens that come out the sides of the lid in both directions that are about 2/5 the width of the primary (front) screen - to leave a bit for cables and mechanics inside the lid.

Now the kicker...

Make the center screen 4:3 @ 1280x1024.  The side screens could each be 600x1024.

This yields a (600*2+1080) X 1024 screen = 2280 X 1024.

Of course the thing would be horridly fragile, require outlandish engineering costs, likely need highly custom screen components, custom graphics driver chips, etc...  Completely impractical, but it wouild look really cool.

Then again, you could start with this as a point of reference.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-9795471-1.html

Swap positions - single flap for a keyboard and use the dual side for monitors.  Crazy complicated to build though - and looks fragile.

What would be nice ks the ability to flip it all the way back so it can be used in a "tablet" mode. So, you flip the keyboard all the way around like the IdeaPad Yoga.

What would be nice ks the ability to flip it all the way back so it can be used in a "tablet" mode. So, you flip the keyboard all the way around like the IdeaPad Yoga.
We are having hard time doing this

7ot9hDD.jpg

Now you want us to do this!? :D

5khRD4L.jpg

I do like the idea of a "tablet mode", would make sense when using android and touchscreen only games. I though several times about what dell did:

http://www.dell.com/es/p/xps-12-l221x/pd?c=escs=esdhs1l=ess=dhs&ST=+dell%20+xps%20+12&dgc=ST&cid=41193&lid=1069556&acd=240415599220560

Almost sure that such a solution must be expensive and protected by a thousand patents.
Nothing better than physical controls.  On-screen software controls suck.  I'm sure someone in the Pandora community can map software controls to physical ones like PtitSeb did with PPSSPP.

This will never see light of day, but next-gen OpenPandora should use flexible OLED display and Exynos 5.  With flexible OLED, the dual screen can be fold in half outward on the top screen.  Exynos 5 will support 3D and lower power consumption 
Can you stop using "should" in your sentences ? Like who are you to decide what should be in the first place ? 

Why don't you rather say " I think it's a good idea of the Pandora 2 uses...". That's a more acceptable way to express things.

Flexible OLED are far away from being ready for mass market. and they have several issues, in case you don't know. 

Just buy a tablet already if that's what you want. I don't see why the Pandora has to replicate everything that exists on the market. First a DS, now a windows8 tablet PC... what's next, you want a Dual SHock integrated in it, too ? 

This thread is getting ridiculous. 

I'm sure some one said the same thing to Pandora 1 idea that it was ridiculous and would not work.  But look!  It's in our hands now :D

You can say I'm wasting my time, but hey! this is Panora 2 Spam Area for people brainstorming. So I've wasted a little bit of my time to come up with this design for you to comment/trash on :p    This time, no complicated hinges, no twisting, no turning, no rotating  :D

ByFLW4Z.jpg

this design for you to comment/trash on
Let me see...

Dreadful keyboard design - check

Undersized game controls - check

Wasted space - check

Excessively thick - check

Impractical screen proportions - check

Grand & unnecessary feature - check

Poorly thought-out hinge design - check

We have a winner :)

Except that the current pandora wasn't an engineering nightmare with so many mechanical pieces that are susceptible to fail that it's bound to be a massive failure ;)

Oh, and WTF is that ridiculous keyboard? xD

EDIT : you're not wasting your time, I really enjoy your … "devices" (EDIT2: contraptions, that was the word I was searching for) they're so funny I almost pissed my pants from laughing :D

Ignoring all the other aspects of the picture:

I like the hidden slidescreen, but it would destroy the whole balance and break just fine. :)

This thread is about dual screen.  I shouldn't have included the keyboard (or the whole base) in the the drawings.  The P2 can use the P1 existing keyboard and so the size of the base is practically the same.  Though the top would be a little thicker due to the second sliding screen.  However, I would not envision it that much thicker, or maybe it would be the same thickness as the P1 now.  So like Klumpen said, ignoring all other aspects of the drawings, do you think the sliding design would work for P2?  

Back