Pandora and Talk Talk wireless modem/router.

It sounds rather like you need advice from your ISP on how to set up wireless networking with their rather strange-sounding router, to be honest.

Have you asked them about this? If so, were they able to assist?

Last edited by a moderator:
supply new one do you say,all the routers they do are the same.
No, they obviously aren't.

The Wireless Modem/Router my parents have is a very straightforward affair. I went to theirs with my Pandora, searched for the wireless, found it, entered the pre-configured key that's printed on the sticker on top of the router and that's it, I was connected.

No dramas.

Usb-> ethernet should work and plug into router?
i didn't really understand what you are saying,i can't even check with ethernet cable to see if it works with that because pandora doesn't have the rj45 connection port.
you can add a rj45 connection to your pandora with something like http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=usb+ethernet&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=14203308534069377907&sa=X&ei=-DUlTurUD5CIhQfQpO3mCQ&ved=0CC8Q8wIwAg

not sure which ones work but I know some do

As long as the USB ethernet adapter is hi-speed 2.0 compliant, I think pretty much any of them will work directly connected to the Pandora's USB port. If not, a 2.0 hub will get them working. I've tried 2 makes, both cheap as chips Chinese knockoffs worth about £2 and they work just fine here. You also don't need any messing about in setting it up, just connect the cable, go to the network manager with a 'right click' and choose 'edit connections'. Then just choose the 'wired tab', hit the plus + sign for 'create new wired connection' and it will start working straight away,a s the router just assigns it a new IP automatically using your ISPs settings. Was a flyingspaghettimonster send in France on my parents router that was MAC filtered for wireless, as I was finally able to get a connection going. Got it sorted wirelessly on subsequent trips :)

Back of the router it has usb port and that's where you put wi-fi usb adaptor without that you can't connect and i've phoned talktalk the person said yes that's correct.

It'a an echolife router which can only be connected with wi-fi usb adaptor and it even tells this on the cd which i got with the router.

So... umm... how do you connect a smartphone or any tablet PC that doesn't even have an USB port to the internet using TalkTalk...?

Do they provide a solution for that?

The same solution should work for the Pandora as well.

There are 2 types of Echolife router that Talk Talk supply. Here are the Talk Talk pages for connecting wirelessly to both:

Echolife HG520s

Echolife HG520b

Neither of them make any mention of using a supplied USB but both specifically say:

"When you know your wireless network name and wireless password you can connect wireless-enabled devices such as a computer, Xbox 360 or PlayStation 3 to your network."

Ah, so it is one of these router thingies that have an USB dongle which has the encryption key on it for those that don't know how to setup a network, I guess.

So it's either:

* Connect the dongle to your PC and it connects to the router automatically

or

* Get the encryption key (usually printed on the router) and enter that one when you try to connect.

These routers exist here in Germany as well, the USB dongle is just optional for plug and play usage.

Well, then this dongle is not needed. All suki needs to do is write down the encryption key and enter it in the Pandora when connecting.

He has to use a wifi dongle to generate a wifi signal?? That seems extremely redundant and a lot of extra work into firmware development to say "Lets support hundreds upon hundred of other wifi chipset, plus our own with this routers USB port"

Oh, wait.

<Snip>

These routers exist here in Germany as well, the USB dongle is just optional for plug and play usage.

Well, then this dongle is not needed. All suki needs to do is write down the encryption key and enter it in the Pandora when connecting.

</Snip>

Thats like the Network Profile thing in Windows where you save the SSID/KEY to a small file other Windows 7 PCs can pickup *facepalm* This is what he was talking about? Writing down the key is the way to go. I feel so stupid right now... -.-

eh? so it's a usb token with a wpa key stored on it or something?

that's just stupid

Well, it's normally for people who don't know much about computers.

If your grandma orders internet somewhere, she gets a router, plugs the stick into her PC and it automatically connects and installs.

The router i have is echolife hg532,it does require usb dongle getting connected to wi-fi connection,talktalk told me all this themself and it's says all this on cd too.

You guys are confused this router is not like the others,it's talktalk best router by far,i was disappointed that you need a usb dongle,it's really stupid to be honest.

Then it's something for you take up with Talk Talk.

Edit: The Talk Talk forums suggest that the HG532's USB port is disabled in the firmware (Talk Talk Forum). But I really think you're now at the point that you should direct all further requests about connecting *anything*, not just your Pandora to Talk Talk or Echolife.

The router i have is echolife hg532,it does require usb dongle getting connected to wi-fi connection,talktalk told me all this themself and it's says all this on cd too.

You guys are confused this router is not like the others,it's talktalk best router by far,i was disappointed that you need a usb dongle,it's really stupid to be honest.

I think the Pandora can do WPS.. Have you tried using that, if you have the feature for WPS on the router?

which router is recommened,i need router which has wi-fi.

The only way to find out if the my talktalk router is compatible by connecting it with the ethernet cable,is there can usb ethernet adaptor which can fit into pandora console,if yes please show some pictures of the item.

Back