Pandora at Replay 2011 - Retro Gaming Expo - Let's meet up

To be fair to us though, most of the stuff that gets guzzled for breakfast up north; a seagull wouldn't even eat that down South

I see that my glowing reports on the blasted wasteland of Blackpool still ring true. Honestly why do they hold it there? It's like making a fresh cup of tea and serving it in a tramp's shoe.

They should hold it somewhere like weston-super-mare which, although still no paradise, makes Blackpool look like... Blackpool.

My guess is that a lot of the arcade cabs there are from a Blackpool residents private collection - I doubt he would want to ship them halfway across the country.

I've been to a lot of English seaside towns, they're all the same* and Blackpool is just the biggest and tackiest of them all as far as I can see. I did like the trams though.

It was truly great to see all those classic arcade machines lined up. They should've got hold an OutRun machine though! Actually that reminds me, where we go holidaying down south, I like to go visit an arcade that has a sit-down Out Run until this year when we went and it had gone. I asked the guy there where it had gone too - he replied that it had been thrown away. Chucked in a tip!!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So sad.

I see that my glowing reports on the blasted wasteland of Blackpool still ring true. Honestly why do they hold it there? It's like making a fresh cup of tea and serving it in a tramp's shoe.

They should hold it somewhere like weston-super-mare which, although still no paradise, makes Blackpool look like... Blackpool.

Keep 'em coming Sugar_Kane, despite my strong suspicions that you might be a 'southern jessie' as they say in these parts, I've got to say I love your turn of phrase. Wish you hadn't been pussy whipped out of coming to replay. The write up would have been worth the entrance fee alone and I've strong suspicions you would have passed the pub test with flying colours.

I like to go visit an arcade that has a sit-down Out Run until this year when we went and it had gone. I asked the guy there where it had gone too - he replied that it had been thrown away. Chucked in a tip!!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So sad.
You know what to do next time you see one in an arcade - leave you're number and say "If ever you're getting rid of it..." ;)

I like to go visit an arcade that has a sit-down Out Run until this year when we went and it had gone. I asked the guy there where it had gone too - he replied that it had been thrown away. Chucked in a tip!!!! I couldn't believe what I was hearing. So sad.
You know what to do next time you see one in an arcade - leave you're number and say "If ever you're getting rid of it..." ;)

Yep, I know now. I actually thought of doing exactly that in previous visits but I always assumed they knew the value of it since they kept it around (it was the oldest machine in there) - lesson of the day: never assume.

Keep 'em coming Sugar_Kane, despite my strong suspicions that you might be a 'southern jessie' as they say in these parts, I've got to say I love your turn of phrase. Wish you hadn't been pussy whipped out of coming to replay. The write up would have been worth the entrance fee alone and I've strong suspicions you would have passed the pub test with flying colours.

Why thank ye, kind sir.

Your radar isn't broken, I am a mincing southern Jessie. My girlfriend's family are northern though, which explains how she's able to strong arm me out of retro gaming events on a whim.

I was gutted not to come because, aside from desperately wishing to once again bask in the tobacco hued glow and measty whiff of the Norbreck Hotel, I really wanted to slap Craig across the buttocks, high five Ed, and meet my fellow Pandorians. I would have loved to do the write up too, I was genuinely excited to do that. Although it would have descended(/ascended) into Raoul Duke territory as the evening went on and I'd drank too much.

My guess is that a lot of the arcade cabs there are from a Blackpool residents private collection - I doubt he would want to ship them halfway across the country.

I've been to a lot of English seaside towns, they're all the same* and Blackpool is just the biggest and tackiest of them all as far as I can see. I did like the trams though.

Most, if not all of them are on loan from private collectors across the country. Last year the call went out to the members of Arcade Otaku who generously loaned machines free of charge. What the organisers were doing was paying to have the machines collected and returned from wherever they were, so there's no reason why the venue couldn't be changed! My guess is that the organisers are based in near there, but if they won't move then perhaps another event could be set up... another event set up by members of a community passionate about retro gaming... where might one find such people in this day and age?!

egg and beans

beans and scrambled egg
You're forgetting beans and omelette, and beans, boiled egg and soldiers :D

Egg and spam; egg, bacon and spam; egg, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, eggs, spam, spam, bacon and spam; spam, spam, spam, egg and spam; spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam...

Why thank ye, kind sir.

That doesn't make sense. "Ye" is plural. The correct word would be either a form of "thou" or "you". I suspect "you" would be more appropriate, since the rest of the context suggests you're talking to a fellow adult you're unfamiliar with (and are trying to be polite).

Last edited by a moderator:
egg and beans

beans and scrambled egg
You're forgetting beans and omelette, and beans, boiled egg and soldiers :D

Egg and spam; egg, bacon and spam; egg, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, bacon, sausage and spam; spam, eggs, spam, spam, bacon and spam; spam, spam, spam, egg and spam; spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, spam, baked beans, spam, spam, spam and spam...

Lovely spaaaaam, wonderful spaaaaaaaam... lovely spaaaam, wonderful spam. Spaaaahaaaam, spaahaaaaam, spaahaaaam, spaahaaaaam, lovely spaaaaaam, wonderful spaaaaam.

Spaaaam, spaaam, spaaam, spaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaam :)

^ Why can't people leave us amusing reports like that, for spammers, ED? :lol:

I just watched the video, it's great! I love the closing quote "I saved my money for a month when I was a child to buy pacland on the Amiga, and the game was CRAP"

ED - Jane is wondering what your room and breakfast was like?

Well, the room was the size of a cupboard, so when I put my bag on the floor, there was no space to walk anymore :D

It had a TV Remote control and a very old TV that didn't even USE a remote control, which was a bit weird :D

The shower was working nicely, had a nice flow of warm water. The door to the shower was broken, but who cares? :D

So the room was cute and nice, definitely good enough for me :)

Breakfast was okay. I don't like those beans or black cakes that come with English breakfast, but the egg and toast were okay, the cereal was good as well.

For the price, I was pretty happy :)
Black cakes, never heard Black Pudding called that before, then again if they sold it under it's real name (Blood Pudding) I doubt it would have sold at all.

In swedish, it is actually called that - Blood Pudding or (slightly different, with raisins) Blood Sausage. And my kids love it. Now picture a frenetic three-year-old shouting "Blood! Blood!" at the top of his voice in the supermarket.

Back