Pandora at Replay 2011 - Retro Gaming Expo - Let's meet up

The first post has been updated with details for the meet up, hope everyone is happy with the Ramsden Arms as a venue, I'm guessing so as no concrete suggestions were made for an alternate venue. As for Craigs suggestion relating to heading into town for the 'Blackpool Experience' then that of course is an option we can put to 'committee', but we do need somewhere to meet up first.

Well, meetup at our table in the tournament hall might also be an idea :)

As for being able to identify fellow Pandorians at Replay I thought it might be nice to make some clip on ID badges with the Pandora Logo on them and space to write on your forum name, If people like the sound of that then it would be my pleasure to provide those. If ED is bringing T Shirts then I guess there would be no need for the badges so If I don't hear confirmation that there will be T Shirts I'll bring the badges.

I don't think I'm in time for T-Shirts, they would need a few weeks and I didn't have time to finish a logo yet :(

So these badges sound like a great idea :)

Have you considered bringing a TV along to demonstrate the Pandora / ICP (with a phone that has TV out)?

I need to check what the team can offer me. I can't bring a TV with me, but I know some community members would be able to.

I also need a TV-Out cable (mine has been sent for demonstration purposes somewhere else), so if anyone has a peca TV Out-Cable, that would be great.

I'll also ask what possibilities I have at the talk / presentation, whether there is a video projector where I can easily connect the Pandora TV Out or not.

Are you going to bring along any printed literature that explains what the Pandora / ICP is?

Yes, I'll bring 2500 flyers with me, one side Pandora, one side iCP featuring some basic information as well as links to the website.

Did you look at the possibility of giving a talk / presentation?

Yes, and I'm having one on Sunday, 2pm - 2:45pm.

Will you be taking orders / pre orders for the ICP / Pandora?

Not sure if I'll take preorders for the Pandora, it would be a lot of work. But on the flyer, it will say where you can preorder it on the internet, do you think this is enough?

I think it would make a lot of sense to knock up a poster or two that clearly explained what the Pandora / ICP is, or perhaps just seriously enticed interest. My guess is that a lot of people there would be interested in the Pandora / ICP but would not have heard of them. You have to get over that British sense of reticence when dealing with the unknown.

True. I've just gotten confirmation this morning about the talk and that we'll have a table in the tournament hall.

I haven't gotten any information about the size of the table or the walls surrounding it for posters, etc.

I'll check that.

As we're in the tournament hall, we also need to create our own tournament.

I was thinking about Super Geometry Dust, sounds like a perfect tournament game for me :)

ED, tried to add you on Skype, wanted to check you still want the lift back on Sunday. My plans hadn't changed, but just wanted to confirm

Yes, I don't really use Skype anymore, so that's not the best way to contact me ;)

I'd love to have the ride back!

My talk ends on Sunday 2:45pm, and we'd need to leave just after that so that I can catch my plane.

I guess it's about 1 hour to Manchester airport?

Well, I can't record myself - but if anyone from here wants to do that, he's welcome.

I can provide a wireless professional microphone though, but camera + Pandoras + Flyers is too much for me to take with me in the plane.

I'll see if I can borrow a camcorder or something from somebody, as I'll obviously be at the presentation to give ED a lift back aftwards.

I'd call it 1h 30m to get to the airport from the venue. Depends on traffic too. I think we should be okay though. Also depends on if I can park nearby... The carpark out front of the venue doesn't look very big from Google Maps

Last edited by a moderator:
Just drive directly through the glass doors at the front and park in the lobby

Just drive directly through the glass doors at the front and park in the lobby
lol, have you ever seen any of the Dilbert animated series? There's one where he's going to the mall. Watch it and laugh :)

reading this is bumming me out now ive got to work that weekend and appears to be virtually imposible to book off.

sound like replays gonna be amazing

Okay, we have a huge table, where we could easily put up a flat TV and show off the Pandora using a TV Out cable.

There's also WLAN, although it's slow.

Now, my TV Out cable is currently not with me and I can't bring a big TV to the show.

Would anyone be able to bring some TV, DVD player and TV Out Cable to the show?

I'd create a small promotion DVD loop (basically a best-of the 1-video-per day, including additional information) and then we could show videos or switch to live Pandora out :)

I'm not seeing a lot of love for the idea of a meet up after Replay in a traditional English Pub. We will of course be able to meet up at Replay but I thought it might be nice to get together without other distractions and chew the fat / get horribly pissed (delete as appropriate) together.

So a couple of questions to those getting involved :

Would you like to meet up after Replay?

If you would like to meet up afterwards would you rather get together at a Restaurant than a pub, or do you have an alternate suggestion?

If a restaurant is preferable I can recommend this rather fine Italian

@ ED : where is the Open Pandora / ICP table located? Is it in the main hall or a side room?

@ Anyone : I've bought some clip on badges and will knock up some name cards early next week, does anyone have a link for a high quality / SVG copy of the pandora Logo?

Only 7 sleeps 'til replay woohoo! :)

@Mr_Loon

here is the HiRes logo :)

http://pandorawiki.org/Logo

also I do want to meet up after the event, but its prob worth discussing the "after Event" meetup at replay itself, so maybe we should arrange a time and place in replay ... would make sense to be at the pandora/iCP booth then we can discuss options of the after event gathering. what do you think?

Would you like to meet up after Replay?
It's a good idea, but I'm going to have to be up quite early on the Saturday morning to get ready and travel up (approx 1.5hr drive) - It was recommended I get there close to opening for registering in the tournament so I don't miss entry. I'm not staying over in Blackpool, so it'll be another drive back that evening, and back again Sunday morning, so Saturday might be an already long day that I'll just leave a bit early, get some sleep and come back refreshed the next day.

So, I'm afraid, from my perspective, I'm just going to wing it. I'll probably find the Pandora table close to when I consider leaving, and finding out who's doing what.

Also, you can find the SVG logo here

Okay, we have a huge table, where we could easily put up a flat TV and show off the Pandora using a TV Out cable.

There's also WLAN, although it's slow.

Now, my TV Out cable is currently not with me and I can't bring a big TV to the show.

Would anyone be able to bring some TV, DVD player and TV Out Cable to the show?

I'd create a small promotion DVD loop (basically a best-of the 1-video-per day, including additional information) and then we could show videos or switch to live Pandora out :)
if anyone as got a wii thats as the homebrew channel can get a media player on there, maybe just put the video onto sd and play off of a wii with wii component cables, or if anyone has a HD media player like this then ED could just bring an SD card or usb drive with the HD video on and play through the media player.

if anyone as got a wii thats as the homebrew channel can get a media player on there, maybe just put the video onto sd and play off of a wii with wii component cables, or if anyone has a HD media player like this then again ED could just bring an SD card or usb drive with the HD video on.
I've got a USB harddrive that has a composite out, I'll a) see if it still works, and B) can connect to my Pandora. If so, we'll be able to transfer from SD cards to it (or if anybody is taking a laptop/netbook/etc.) :)

Edit: Check and check - I'll just clear off the drive, save for some C64 longplays (because). However, if somebody has a smaller device, that would be much better - this thing isn't light, or small, and it needs a power source

I was going to stop over but my Daughters going out to a party in Manchester so we'll have to leave about half 8 at the latest on Saturday night. I really wanted a good few beers with everyone else and crashing in a Hotel but sadly that's out now unless of course my Daughter decides not to come.

ED - are you OK getting from the Airport to Blackpool?

I'm still happy to pick you up from the Airport to save you getting the train.... send me a PM if you want a lift.

PS - if you're bringing t-shorts - XL* please and I'll pay you on the day :)

PPS * I'm not a FB - I just like my T-shirts baggy :)

Back