Release Pandora Devboard: Mplayer, Picodrive, Quake 1 And Battle For Wesnoth

Wow, you can't show video game violence on german youtube?

Last edited by a moderator:
Great video... what's up with the weird flickering on the Quake section though? (Not the censoring)

'Patrick R Ludvigsen' said:
Great video... what's up with the weird flickering on the Quake section though? (Not the censoring)
I assume it's nanoGL errors, that's why pickle is moving over to the iphone rendering.

'zear_' said:
Wow, you can't show video game violence on german youtube?
There's a lot of things which are banned in various parts of Europe. Sometimes it makes sense sometimes not so much.

I'm assuming that ED blurred those bits while processing the video, not in a funky German version of Quake. OTOH playing like that would be kind of hardcore.

EDIT: I should also mention that I'm suitably impressed by the graphics. Not to get paranoid, but I was having a hard time believing that there wasn't some sort of video processing fake the image thing going on. Truly impressive looking video.

I love ED's commentary on his videos!

Keep 'em coming ED!

'craigix' said:
I assume it's nanoGL errors, that's why pickle is moving over to the iphone rendering.

No, it's the desktop showing through at times when the mouse cursor gets refreshed. When the game does a quick save for example, the SD card picture and capacity status bar will pop up on the screen until Quake draws over it. It's just one of the many things on the TO DO list eventually.

'MWeston' said:
'craigix' said:
Great video... what''''s up with the weird flickering on the Quake section though? (Not the censoring)

No, it's the desktop showing through at times when the mouse cursor gets refreshed. When the game does a quick save for example, the SD card picture and capacity status bar will pop up on the screen until Quake draws over it. It's just one of the many things on the TO DO list eventually.

Are you sure? It just looks like side clipping textures vanishing and the ones behind showing though, it's very visible on the ceiling parts and also just before ed dies on the left wall, the textures for the gun holes vanish when they touch the left side of the screen. The GP2X version suffers from something similar.

I'll have another look.

Thanks a lot for the video ED!

I've always wondered why he didn't post something with that jury rigged version.

So, what's the resolution of that movie in the beginning? I would love to see a 720p MKV with soft subs as that's the most demanding type of video I have.

The Battle for Wesnoth looks like a very interesting game. It's seems very beautiful and well made for a free game.

kinda worried about the imprecise touchscreen
and I was actually more worried about the 4 face buttons rather than the dpad (which I know they have put some real effort over, not to repeat other system's mistakes :p)

lol, those blurs :p

To answer the questions, the flicker at the bottom is because we are running in RAW mode, so anything X refreshes gets shown. The fix for this is to add some X rendering code. Not a big deal, i fact cpas has done it work q3

There is a problem in this quake engine with the dynamic lights, but it depends on the angle. Im going to try and fix it. If anyone with experience in this area wants to take a look get a hold of me.

Great video!
And on the topic of censorship: Quake is on the index in Germany (search fpr BPjM on wikipedia). It may not be made available to minors, and as the video is proudly linked from the official German Pandora website, I can understand ED not taking any risks. It sucks, but I prefer some blurred violence over legal trouble for the devs. And yes, the whole BPjM-thing is bullshit, but by far not the worst censorship over here in Germany.

Ive done some looking the problem. It's definitely dynamic lights, I can turn off the feature and all the textures are fine.
Ill keep looking for something

Back