Release Pandora Devboard: Mplayer, Picodrive, Quake 1 And Battle For Wesnoth

great video!!!

ED is actually possible to run Psx4Pandora (and maybe film it, also at low resolution)?
I mean, the last time we saw it, it was running at MORE than fullspeed, that's good, obviously, but makes it too fast.

However thank you for the video, you're making progress with your camera.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome vid ED. This thing is gonna rock :D. Can't wait till I get mine!!!

Regards

André

'giovanni' said:
ED is actually possible to run Psx4Pandora (and maybe film it, also at low resolution)?
I mean, the last time we saw it, it was running at MORE than fullspeed, that's good, obviously, but makes it too fast.
AFAIK they're still working on the 3D Hardware acceleration, there's nothing "nice" to show yet :)
As soon as I get my hands on a really nice looking version, I'm gonna make a new video :)

However thank you for the video, you're making progress with your camera.

Hmm, not really, all my HD Videos should be similar.
But it's more easy keeping focus now that I don't have to hold the LCD in my hand anymore ;)

Last edited:
'Yod4z' said:
Don't expect 720p H264 vids but 720p xvid. Softsub is not so demandig but maybe ssa or ass sub with specal effect and color can do some more CPU usage.
I'm not expecting it but I would really love it and I would really like to see Pandora giving it a try.

'arrrgh' said:
Will 800x480 H264 be possible?

Sure. The bitrate and profile stuff seems more the interesting bit. But I am very optimistic.
There is something very fubared about the lightmaps (I guess) in that Quake video. But I guess that is the flickering already mentioned?

'arrrgh' said:
Will 800x480 H264 be possible?
H264 DVD Res (720*576) is possible.
MPEG 4 ASP/SP (xvid/Divx6) 720p is possible

Nice video! Finally we can see someone playing with the bare unit with 2 hands!

BTW... how did the burntest turned out? I probably missed that one on the forum.

So close. Quake working with the analog nubs would be awesome.

God I want my Pandora. Watching these vids makes it all seem like it's been worth it.

'kin' said:
BTW... how did the burntest turned out? I probably missed that one on the forum.
Doesn't the burn-in test happen on every mass-produced unit to avoid DOAs, or short-lived units?

'sverm' said:
'kin' said:
Doesn't the burn-in test happen on every mass-produced unit to avoid DOAs, or short-lived units?

Yes.
I just read it on the frontpage of the website, though I had no idea when the article was published lol.

Why isnt 720 h246 possible? Or is that just refering to what will be rade out of the box with the possibility of it improving later?

Seriously just about every video that comes out now adays is a 720p x246 or h246 mkv. I'd realy like to be able to play these without jumping through more hoops...

I don't think 720p is impossible, it just might take a while for the developers to get the media codecs accelerated enough to play it properly.

And what are all these videos coming out at 720p xvid mkv you're talking about? :huh:
I have some mkvs and some avis and some other stuff, but what's this "every video"?

Well all 720p videos are h264 mkv. I don't know if it's possible without DSP help though, those TI codecs could really help...

'lulzfish' said:
I don't think 720p is impossible, it just might take a while for the developers to get the media codecs accelerated enough to play it properly.

And what are all these videos coming out at 720p xvid mkv you're talking about? :huh:
I have some mkvs and some avis and some other stuff, but what's this "every video"?
I'm finding more and more videos in 720p H.264 MKV. I often find myself having to track down Xvid or 480p versions, as those work better on my laptop. It is now a very common format in the anime community.

Indeed, it`s getting hard and harder to convince fansub groups to release simple AVIs these days. Sure you can probably download a bunch of DVD ripped movies in WMV or AVI with standard DivX codecs but Anime releases come in batches of maybe 20 shows a week from multiple groups and it feels like 90% of them go the MKV route or are headed there. So far this week alone I`ve downloaded:

-[Chihiro]_Akikan_09_[h264][DC197A6D].mkv
-[PHT]_Tetsuwan_Birdy_Decode_2_-_07_[h264][CD342D6C].mkv
-[Tsubaki-Hatsuyuki]Soul_Eater_48[1280x720_x264_AAC].mp4
-[Animebreaker]_Shikabane_Hime_Kuro_-_09_[720p][41FB897A].mp4
-[PHT]_Vipers_Creed_-_09_[h264][FA68EE6C].mkv
-[Desire] RideBack 10 [1280x720][h264].mkv
-[Ayako]_Regios_-_10_[LQ][XVID+MP3][8A2F00C5].avi
-[Shinsen-Subs]_Casshern_SINS_-_23_[1FCC1CA2].avi
-[Chihiro]_Zettai_Karen_Children_48_[h264][3F52BB91].mkv
-[Anon]Slayers Evolution-R-09(AT-X1024x576)(x264).mkv
-[Chihiro]_Asu_no_Yoichi_-_10_[h264][3BCA42E5].mkv

A random sample of various genres and groups releasing weekly content and it`s evident how few are simple AVI or even MP4. h/x264 shows up everywhere and all but like 3 or 4 of these are 720p.

Clearly 720p is possible since the video ED showed was apparently a 720p WMV from the link he passed us, I`m just hoping for support for the codecs I (and many other internet types) watch the most of.

Animation looks better on h246, and it's easier to add soft subs and multiple audio tracks...it's a good trend. This close to release, hopefully the basic functionality of a PMP will work pretty well. I do plan to watch a lot of 720x480 h264 on the Pandora.

Does anybody know if TI would license the official codecs, or what they would cost? I think the DSP is going to take a while to figure out, it seems that nobody is really touching it so far.

You can find the Ti H264 Decoder that use the DSP(C64x) but it don''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''t use HighProfil, only Base Line/Main Line. This codec can be used with GSStreamer. The limiter on OMAP is the memory bandwidth
CODE
http://focus.ti.com/docs/toolsw/folders/print/tmdh264d.html

Actualy all Vids use HighProfil (blueray format)
Max BP for HighProfil: 300 Mbit/s (1080p) 17.5 Mbit/s (720p 30FPS) 25 Mbit/s (720p 60FPS)
Max BP for Base line or Main: 240 Mbit/s (1080p) 14 Mbit/s (720p 30FPS) 20 Mbit/s (720p 60FPS)

FFMPEG codec using ASM ARM and Neon are efficient too.

Back