Pandora Killer Machines

baybal said:
I think PSP2, it would pack much more higher performance 5 gen power vr, with tenth of gigapixels per seconds capabilities.

Yeah, there you go, cancel Pandora so you can buy something that's not announced and probably won't be out this year. Do it based on nothing more than speculation as to what the graphical capabilities will be. Good plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
baybal said:
I think PSP2, it would pack much more higher performance 5 gen power vr, with tenth of gigapixels per seconds capabilities.

Yeah, there you go, cancel Pandora so you can buy something that's not announced and probably won't be out this year. Do it based on nothing more than speculation as to what the graphical capabilities will be. Good plan.
Yeah, probably psp2 is scheduled for 2011. Just still it's impressive how fast the technology is advancing in embedded market today, device manufacturers can't match speed with chipmakers. Today, in microelectronics production, for an average player, revenue is a function of time of how fast they are able to put new chips into devices.

baybal said:
PSP2 omgz
The PSP is a game console. I don't think Sony will put a keyboard in it. And they're certainly not about to have a full Linux system on it with a desktop environment and full WebKit-based browser.

The N900 sounds really nice, but it's expensive and I don't know how hard it is to root. Hopefully the Pandora will ship this spring/summer/year and get rolling.

Have you looked at the Fujitsu Lifebook UH900 MID?

http://store.shopfujitsu.com/fpc/Ecommerce/buildseriesbean.do?series=UH900

It's a bit expensive at $849 with a $100 mail in rebate and a $50 instant rebate and free shipping but the specs are impressive except the battery life of course lol.

SPECS:

LifeBook UH900 Mini-Notebook

• Intel® Atom™ Processor Z530 (1.6GHz)
• Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium
• Microsoft® Works 9.0 and Office Home and Student 60-Day Trial1
• 5.6" WXGA Crystal View display with a multi-touch screen
• Integrated Webcam
• 2 GB DDR2 533 MHz SDRAM memory (2 GB x 1)
• 62 GB, solid state drive2
• Built-in GPS receiver with Garmin Mobile® PC
• 10/100 Ethernet (with included cable)
• Atheros® (802.11b/g/n)
• Integrated Bluetooth wireless
• Main battery: Lithium ion (2-cell polymer, 7.2V, 1800 mAh)
• One-year International Limited Warranty
• ENERGY STAR® qualified
• M-code FPCM22892

Other specs:

2 USB ports
SD card slot
1.1 lbs with battery
3 hours max battery life which means like an hour and a half when stressing the system.
etc.

I wonder if you can install a netbook version of windows or linux or something that can provide better battery life yet have emulators and such...It's a fairly decent screen size though I doubt it will fit in your pocket easilly. I'm not sure if something like this is something you're interested in but it looks to be fairly powerful and fairly promising...

People please, at least give suggestions that meet all of the criteria asked for. iPad doesn't have a keyboard, desktop environment, nor is it small enough to fit in a pocket.

You're going to have a difficult time finding something that matches the Pandora. Are you upset or do you need to cancel to get the money to buy something else? It sounds like the later, but isn't pretty much everything mentioned here more expensive than the Pandora? The Netwalker, iPad, N900, and pretty much everything pocket-able with a Atom in it will be extra $$$. You can't consider canceling your order for something else that is not out yet so all the vapor-ware mentioned is out of the question.

I'd wait for something to come out before I'd cancel my order, what is out right now doesn't really meet your criteria. Also, wouldn't it suck to cancel your Pandora pre-order for another pre-order just to have the Pandora come out before that other device.

i dont want a device thats not out yet. kinda the reason i made this thread.
That lifebook looks good.il consider it but need more choices.

Why i wont wait another month for pandora?
Well i will if i wont find a similar device, but i want a other device now, because in 1 month, the pandora will only be 1 month away.

lulzfish said:
The N900 sounds really nice, but it's expensive and I don't know how hard it is to root. Hopefully the Pandora will ship this spring/summer/year and get rolling.

I installed one package and type "sudo gainroot" in a terminal. Done.

Yeah, I think the N900 is really a great fully open Linux machine. No very good gaming controls but nevertheless a very decent all-round device with a good community.
I love mine... :)

So, this way Pandora is still pretty impressive and can be a success, unless case production wouldn't last until 2011.

I still wonder how they spend almost a year being entroubled by such a minor thing like case production. Most no-name case manufacturers in PRC offer full cycle case development and production deployment at almost no cost within 1-2 month period. If I were a developer, I would just outsource the whole case production affairs and got finished cases at assembly site within 3 month maximum.

I feel that the whole case production delay thing is totally strange.

Back