Pandora Live Or Pandora Steam

Phawx

Professional Derailer
Since Pandora is going to have an app store anyway, Are there any plans to have it kind of like Live/Steam? So we can create user accounts and show what games we own? Also as a method for dev's to upload hi scores and stuff without having to create their own server for it. Maybe some other API stuff so you could have Pandora achievements.

Just thinking of stuff. One more week to go.

Phawx said:
Since Pandora is going to have an app store anyway, Are there any plans to have it kind of like Live/Steam? So we can create user accounts and show what games we own? Also as a method for dev's to upload hi scores and stuff without having to create their own server for it. Maybe some other API stuff so you could have Pandora achievements.

An achievement system is a good idea, but that's something that would have to be preprogrammed into games, so it would have to be supported by every dev out there for it to be useful. Plus, how many people do you think would cheat with an open-source points system? Would you say, ten million?

As lame as this sounds, an avatar system would also be nice, but not likely.

Last edited by a moderator:
Phawx said:

Yes, there will be accounts. You will be able to add money to your account (according to Craig) and I'm sure you will be able to redownload apps you have already bought. A system for highscores would be nice, especially if it can be made secure. I'm not sure about achievements, those can be misused. But I'm all up for game specific achievements that doesn't add up to a total score, you could then list all the achievements by each player or list all who have completed an achievement. That way people with the same game can compete and brag.

And wouldn't it be cool if you can display a select handful of them in your forum sig? Just like those 360 badges.

Yea I guess more of a steam approach makes sense. I just thought it would helps some devs sell some more indie games if they had some API that would lead to a central location to include in their games.

Instead of having fragmented stuff all over the place.

Only real dilemma being is that as a mobile device, you can't guarantee a connection, so it wouldn't quite work the same way as steam. The App Store will have accounts and you'll be able to redownload apps you've already purchased. Etc...

The whole idea of the appstore is to promote development for the Pandora, or just developers porting their iPhone apps etc to Pandora. A single place where all software (both freeware and commercial) can be found makes it easier for both developers and users. And by having a single account with money you can easily buy low cost software. As long as developers are interested in releasing software for the Pandora it wont die.

Huh? This is too advanced for a niché product. But sure if Craig & Co says so... For me it's unecessary and not what i needed or wanted

There will be nothing as advanced as Steam

wanna bet? :p

Steam isn't that advanced (and has some really annoying features tbh), if enough people want it then it may happen, scores and other stuff server side? could be, there must be ways to prevent cheating, anythings possible, you just need enough incentive.

r00tw00t said:
Huh? This is too advanced for a niché product. But sure if Craig & Co says so... For me it's unecessary and not what i needed or wanted

If you look beyond emulators this will make your life easier, whether or not you plan on buying anything. Anyone can upload their apps, write stuff about them, upload new versions etc. There will probably be a ranking and comment system as well. Really great for finding new games to play.

Seam also does DRM stuff. Like you can't play a game unless you are connected to the internet to verify your game is legit. Obviously that is not a good idea for the pandora as it is a mobile device.

There was a project to implement something like this a while ago, no updates on it recently.
TINXL
Same kind of deal here as Pandora Live or something.

One thing I would love in the app store would be open source, free and commercial sections so that no one makes any mistakes and gets sued. For instance, without such a section, the person might find a free game, assume it's open source and take some code or ideas from it. Then, an angry developer who copyrighted it would sue them because it wasn't actually open source, but only freeware. Plus, it would make many things a whole lot more convienient. One other thing I hope that no one would really care about. Put ads in it to get some extra cash. Everyone knows that these projects need money, and as long as it doesn't slow it down too much, no one should really care.

I am aware of TINXL, but I was thinking of something that was more or less official.

I want the Pandora Network, where we're each given a stupidly long number as our username, and must exchange it with our friends for us to be able to chat/play online etc.

+1 for online leaderboards.

The whole Pandora account thing can only be good for the community, it could really grow into something quite wonderful.

It will take a lot of effort and know how to set up well, but from little acorns.....

Willrandship said:
One thing I would love in the app store would be open source, free and commercial sections so that no one makes any mistakes and gets sued. For instance, without such a section, the person might find a free game, assume it's open source and take some code or ideas from it. Then, an angry developer who copyrighted it would sue them because it wasn't actually open source, but only freeware. Plus, it would make many things a whole lot more convienient. One other thing I hope that no one would really care about. Put ads in it to get some extra cash. Everyone knows that these projects need money, and as long as it doesn't slow it down too much, no one should really care.

In that case you just wouldn't upload your source. And in the case of copyright assets, it's always copyright so even if it was open source, you should still be making your own art and sounds unless you literally state it's publicly usable.

For the app store to really draw in commercial developers, you'd have to have some kind of drm in place otherwise you're really only offering a place of delivery and some bandwidth for the price of 25% your product price. If there's no drm, then you're going to more likely get pirated, not that you wouldn't regardless of the fact. Then if there's no draw you basically have to decide between putting on the app store and asking for donations, or hosting it yourself and getting all the profits and losing some sales to isolation and piracy.

Personally I'd love to have in-game ad-sponsored freeware and I have some blackboxes in mine that are actually in place for that down the line, but the target market won't be big enough off the bat.

r00tw00t said:
There will be nothing as advanced as Steam
But at least something as useful as Steam wouldn't hurt?

Back