Pandora Live Or Pandora Steam

darien said:
Willrandship said:
One thing I would love in the app store would be open source, free and commercial sections so that no one makes any mistakes and gets sued. For instance, without such a section, the person might find a free game, assume it's open source and take some code or ideas from it. Then, an angry developer who copyrighted it would sue them because it wasn't actually open source, but only freeware. Plus, it would make many things a whole lot more convienient. One other thing I hope that no one would really care about. Put ads in it to get some extra cash. Everyone knows that these projects need money, and as long as it doesn't slow it down too much, no one should really care.

In that case you just wouldn't upload your source. And in the case of copyright assets, it's always copyright so even if it was open source, you should still be making your own art and sounds unless you literally state it's publicly usable.

For the app store to really draw in commercial developers, you'd have to have some kind of drm in place otherwise you're really only offering a place of delivery and some bandwidth for the price of 25% your product price. If there's no drm, then you're going to more likely get pirated, not that you wouldn't regardless of the fact. Then if there's no draw you basically have to decide between putting on the app store and asking for donations, or hosting it yourself and getting all the profits and losing some sales to isolation and piracy.

Personally I'd love to have in-game ad-sponsored freeware and I have some blackboxes in mine that are actually in place for that down the line, but the target market won't be big enough off the bat.

I hadn't considered that part of the commercial development area. Hopefully one day the pandora will be successful enough that if I want to play quake 2, I can find someone within a 50-mile radius that can also play with me (that amount to a whopping 7000 people total) Then it would be successful enough for advertising.

What I'm really hoping for is pandoras being sold as massively as the gp2x. How much did it sell, anyways? If the pandora is successful enough to be regularly stocked in online stores, it will draw lots more attention to itself, and maybe even drop in price!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Willrandship said:
darien said:
Willrandship said:
One thing I would love in the app store would be open source, free and commercial sections so that no one makes any mistakes and gets sued. For instance, without such a section, the person might find a free game, assume it's open source and take some code or ideas from it. Then, an angry developer who copyrighted it would sue them because it wasn't actually open source, but only freeware. Plus, it would make many things a whole lot more convienient. One other thing I hope that no one would really care about. Put ads in it to get some extra cash. Everyone knows that these projects need money, and as long as it doesn't slow it down too much, no one should really care.

In that case you just wouldn't upload your source. And in the case of copyright assets, it's always copyright so even if it was open source, you should still be making your own art and sounds unless you literally state it's publicly usable.

For the app store to really draw in commercial developers, you'd have to have some kind of drm in place otherwise you're really only offering a place of delivery and some bandwidth for the price of 25% your product price. If there's no drm, then you're going to more likely get pirated, not that you wouldn't regardless of the fact. Then if there's no draw you basically have to decide between putting on the app store and asking for donations, or hosting it yourself and getting all the profits and losing some sales to isolation and piracy.

Personally I'd love to have in-game ad-sponsored freeware and I have some blackboxes in mine that are actually in place for that down the line, but the target market won't be big enough off the bat.

I hadn't considered that part of the commercial development area. Hopefully one day the pandora will be successful enough that if I want to play quake 2, I can find someone within a 50-mile radius that can also play with me (that amount to a whopping 7000 people total) Then it would be successful enough for advertising.

What I'm really hoping for is pandoras being sold as massively as the gp2x. How much did it sell, anyways? If the pandora is successful enough to be regularly stocked in online stores, it will draw lots more attention to itself, and maybe even drop in price!!!

It's more expensive and less available than either the gp2x or wiz. It won't have anywhere near the number of users that either had. Not to mention that there is no production unit still...

Willrandship said:

Last I heard it was around 60,000. But a lot of those units were sold as English language learning tools to Koreans. Which I really don't get because there are far cheaper and much more effective tools in Asia for learning English. Like things with keyboards and stuff!

truls_rhock said:
It's more expensive and less available than either the gp2x or wiz. It won't have anywhere near the number of users that either had. Not to mention that there is no production unit still...

The Wiz has sold hardly anything as far as I recall. I think the Pandora will eventully outsell it. But, yea, this 4000-a-time thing and no availability is really hurting sales. If this thing had come about December 08 as promised, there could be, what, 12000 users by now and the unit could be in mass production. Trouble is, maybe 6000 of the people who would have bought one last year aren't interested now. Sure there's still plenty of people who DO or WILL want one, probably even more than 6000, but not necessarily *the same* 6000 - and those customers are gone forever.

The Pandora only has a limited shelf-life and all the time its not available customers are being lost.

This is why companies bring out imperfect devices to begin with and make revisions down the line.

truls_rhock said:
It's more expensive and less available than either the gp2x or wiz. It won't have anywhere near the number of users that either had.
That's a shame to hear. Could you give us a peek at the GP2X & Wiz sales figures you're working from, along with your Pandora sales projections? Or are you under NDA?

Pleng said:
Last I heard it was around 60,000. But a lot of those units were sold as English language learning tools to Koreans.
Everybody repeat after me "Wikipedia" :)

As of October 16, 2006, the GP2X had sold 30,000 units.[2] On August 31, 2008, the CEO of Gamepark Holdings told German GP2X distributor Michael Mrozek (aka. EvilDragon[3]) that 60,000 GP2X units had been sold.[4]

On 26 August 2008, GamePark Holdings announced the successor to the GP2X, the "Wiz".[5]

As of September 1, a version of the GP2X is still being sold in Korea by Vocamaster that is geared toward Koreans who wish to learn English. [1] In fact, according to the official GP2X distributor for the UK, Craig Rothwell, most GP2X units sold to date have been sold through Vocamaster as English-learning tools.[6]

Back