Pandora Live Or Pandora Steam

I think instead of achievements or trophies you should get pandas.

Craigix unlocked the "Play 1000 hours of sonic" Panda!

I like the idea of some sort of avatar system, but achievements? I'm not so fond of those, personally. I don't need a piece of software to tell me what I've "achieved" - I can tell when I've achieved something by myself. Just knowing I've beaten that one hateworthy boss after a challenging fight is more rewarding to me than some empty praise telling me I "achieved" something. :p

If not for the fact that I don't think they'd be practical to implement, I'd make a suggestion of online high score tables or something. But organising something like that within the community itself, without software, would probably be more fun anyway (I'm sort of thinking of AtariAge's High Score Challenge stuff, here :lol: ).

I think some sort of login system like that would be awesome. Especially the idea of having an avatar and being able to send messages to other users etc. and it would be even better if these accounts linked with your appstore account.

And despite what a lot of people think, i think a trophy/achievement/panda system would be awesome. Especially if there was something linked to it like a gamerscore/level or whatever.

Just my opinion.

Prometheus said:
Just knowing I've beaten that one hateworthy boss after a challenging fight is more rewarding to me than some empty praise telling me I "achieved" something. :p
I think you're missing the point, the achievements are for you to show off to other people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope. I simply don't see any need to "show off" such things to other people. I must be old-fashioned or something. :p (My point is in the quote, there.)

Tokiopop said:
I want the Pandora Network, where we're each given a stupidly long number as our username, and must exchange it with our friends for us to be able to chat/play online etc.

I gess that jabber ID will work better in such way. It will work even without registration in AppStore or wherever.

chris_r said:
I think instead of achievements or trophies you should get pandas
This really badger me off.

Pandora doesn't have nothing common with panda.

Pandora most often refer Greek mythology. Panda on the other hand mostly bear which is symbol of threatened species.

When You like such kind of symbolism then better use something like ceramic doze (jar or amphora). I refer on Pandora's box. OK most neutral will be using Pandora's logo as embossed on lid.

Anyway, I think that achievements would be ok... but only if they were managed very well. We're working with an open-source system, and it would be so easy to simply cheat with this.
So we would need:
Approved (and routinely CRC-checked) binaries from the appstore.
A central server with excellent encryption.
A group of people willing to design the achievements.
A series of bug-testers.
A LOT of coding to check achievements.
And the ability for the achievement software to sync with the server (with lots of verification) so the user can unlock or work towards achievements offline.

And after all this the achievement program would need to either be very resource efficient or very small, as it would have to be running all the time and thus would have to be the former, or be embedded in each approved PND to run with it.

This may sound stupid, but how many would cheat and would it matter for things like achievements, if all their for is to show what sort of things you've managed to do in a game?

If you got free levels or something fair enough I can see why.
It's just an easier way for someone to say I did x, y, z.
Then for someone to ask hey how'd you do that, some pointers, help please.
Hey you did that wasn't it amazing how that was done etc
Or just to brag, good thing about that is don't need to take notice.(which can happen with or without achievements)
Am I missing something with achievements/trophies?

Now if you say it's not worth it as only new Pandora specific games will be able to implement them, and it just wont be enough of them to make it worthwhile. I can see that.

I wouldn't play enough games to get anything other than, the start game achievement.

Sphinxter said:
B-ZaR said:
WizardStan said:
peca said:
And Linux has absolutely nothing in common with a penguin. Get over it.
How about FreeBSD and the devil? ;)
Bam! We have a winner.
Sure! But tux and devil are official mascots. Panda is not sou good abbreviation for Pandora. I have no mind if somebody like it and use it personally but I dislike if somebody push it as common rule. From my point of view it seems as lack of education or knowledge (no offence).

Take this just as personal opinion. I'm not ruler :)

peca said:
Sphinxter said:
B-ZaR said:
WizardStan said:
peca said:
And Linux has absolutely nothing in common with a penguin. Get over it.
Bam! We have a winner.
Sure! But tux and devil are official mascots. Panda is not sou good abbreviation for Pandora. I have no mind if somebody like it and use it personally but I dislike if somebody push it as common rule. From my point of view it seems as lack of education or knowledge (no offence).

Take this just as personal opinion. I'm not ruler :)
Tux was used as a mascot against Torvalds' wishes. People started using him, and he stuck. He wasn't an official mascot until enough people decided he was. If the same thing happens with a panda here, there's nothing you can do to stop it, and it's not because of a lack of education or knowledge, it just happens.

WizardStan said:
...If the same thing happens with a panda here, there's nothing you can do to stop it, and it's not because of a lack of education or knowledge, it just happens.
Things happens sometimes.
In my country is one phenomenons (and fictional) character Jára Cimrman that says: "We shall discuss it, we shall contend about it, we can not agree with this, but that's all what I can do against it."
edit: Better Cimmrman citation, but I fear that my English isn't on enough level :-/

peca said:
When You like such kind of symbolism then better use something like ceramic doze (jar or amphora). I refer on Pandora's box. OK most neutral will be using Pandora's logo as embossed on lid.

You haven't figured out why the Pandora is called Pandora? It is an open source computer... An open box!

The Panda is an unofficial (so far) mascot for the Pandora.

Awakening said:
You haven't figured out why the Pandora is called Pandora? It is an open source computer... An open box!
IIRC, CraigIX somewhere type about name that it was chosen due its worldwide cognizance, almost same spelling in most languages or so. Errr, yes, I just recal something about symbolic in opening box. But I don't understand why You pointed this as I think I'm not in conflict with this.

Awakening said:
Sorry, not yet. See my previous answers. :) I spot "panda" here and there few times but feel it kinda stupid (no offence). I needn't opposing at all coast cost. I just note my opinion.

edit: Typo. Feel kinda stupid.

peca said:
Awakening said:
IIRC, CraigIX somewhere type about name that it was chosen due its worldwide cognizance, almost same spelling in most languages or so. Errr, yes, I just recal something about symbolic in opening box. But I don't understand why You pointed this as I think I'm not in conflict with this.

Awakening said:
Sorry, not yet. See my previous answers. :) I spot "panda" here and there few times but feel it kinda stupid (no offence). I needn't opposing at all coast. I just note my opinion.

I agree, cute to the point of stupid and the cockroach would be a better fit for the project since it's still alive despite the bank and others best attempts to squash it.

Sphinxter said:
I agree, cute to the point of stupid and the cockroach would be a better fit for the project since it's still alive despite the bank and others best attempts to squash it.
:lol:

B-ZaR said:
Not wanting to drag this further off-topic, but it's a daemon, and he represents the system daemons, so he has plenty in common with FreeBSD. :p But you already knew that. :lol:

EDIT: Never mind, I believe I have misunderstood the post. :lol: Sorry, sorry!

Back