Pandora Logo?

HanDuo said:
logo-pan.gif
I really like your designs, especially the black ones. I don't know if it's intentional but they feel like they are from an old video game. Very nostalgic, and it makes me want to go back in time to play on my Colecovision again :)

Last edited by a moderator:
pandora.jpg

What do you guys think? I'm pretty happy with it, but I'm happy to take suggestions on board for development. I'm a designer but my job is at a very corporate place so I've been desperate for something like this to have fun with!

It looks good and the idea is good. But the problems with such Logos are the smooth Color steps. It's hard to make such a Logo as a Relief...IF the Pandora will have an 3D Relief of the Logo somewhere. Maybe hard seperated Colors are better in general. I like pure Black/White or other 2-Color Solutions. :)

Mr Fusion: The logo would be perfect as a relief, I think a small relief of just the symbol would be great on the lid like the Nintendo DS.

Either it is completely solid, the shape is strong enough that it woun't make much difference...

or

The small gradient is a 'push in' part of the relief...

or

The gradient is replaced by a thin line break.

I'll do some examples tonight.

Any feedback on the logo or type? I might tweak it a little and maybe photoshop it onto the console visual...

®

I like the logo of Shirohagen. Don't know if open minded is a good slogan, but I guess that could be changed for another one.

My favorite design by far is shown below (from Eolair). I show it again because it just occurred to me that the Pandora should be clearly marked in a way that would make it very easily distinguishable at a distance from the DS Lite which it strongly resembles. This would increase the chance that it would attract attention when out in public thereby providing some free advertising and, possibly, resulting in some curious inquiries from bystanders. The subtle and small DS Lite markings are something that a company with a multi-million ad budget can afford to use. The Pandora needs as much free advertising and attention as it can get.

pandlogo2.jpg

craigix said:
The analgue pads are actually chromed.
Are they chromed plastic, or actual metal? Regardless of material, wouldn't a matte finish be classier? Design wise, I don't think they should stand out any more than the dpad or the action buttons.

craigix said:
Are they different from the videos MWeston posted a few months ago ?

default.jpg default.jpg

Shirohagen said:
Mr Fusion: The logo would be perfect as a relief, I think a small relief of just the symbol would be great on the lid like the Nintendo DS.

Either it is completely solid, the shape is strong enough that it woun't make much difference...

or

The small gradient is a 'push in' part of the relief...

or

The gradient is replaced by a thin line break.

I'll do some examples tonight.

Any feedback on the logo or type? I might tweak it a little and maybe photoshop it onto the console visual...

®
Yes, this could work. :)

I have my own design improved, nothing impressive but its easy to use as negative embossed relief. (with white paint into a black surface)
pandoralogo3aq4.png

Alright, well here are some more variations of my ninja-star box logo :)

06.png

11.png

12.png

Sphinxter said:
craigix said:
Oooh shiny! +5

Oooh, fingerprinty! -5

Also, is it just me who think's the tagline "Open Minded" is abysmal?

"Pandora - Open Minded" sounds like the text of an advert for a hooker in a phone box. Let's stay away from the innuendos please. Sex sells, but not when it brings to mind 2 girls 1 cup.

Shirohagen said:
Calm down mate, let's see your ideas then...
I'm calm, I'm just being an arsehole. My ideas, well, my first idea is to not have any poor attempts at wit as a slogan, my second idea is to design anything by contest ;)

And I agree, simply "Open" is pretty good. You're free to interpret it as a verb or an adjective (or would that be Opened?), and err, it's modest enough, and if interpreted as an adjective it couldn't be more accurate.

Yrx said:
Just the logo, and underneath it, "Open."
And by all means don't make (in a video) the logo appear and then popping up by fading from the black the Open word, that's pretentious, which would make it sound amateurish. Yup, to quite an extent, modesty sounds professional.

Alex: The second one is nice!

They remind me a little of the old xBox logo:

xbox_logo_new.jpg

I always thought that was a lovely logo (apart from the type), far better than the 360 one...

®

Alex. said:
craigix said:
Are they chromed plastic, or actual metal? Regardless of material, wouldn't a matte finish be classier? Design wise, I don't think they should stand out any more than the dpad or the action buttons.

I'm curious as well about the chromed plastic. I've seen some pretty cheap looking chrome plastic before and this worries me. do you have any pictures of just the chromed pad?

P1010007.JPG

This pic is of an old piece, but I think it still conveys the thought because even if it were shiny and new, it looks cheap.

As can bee seen in the youtube video it's in solid metal.

Edit: Dubya' beat me to posting the video link. This thread is exploding :)

Ok, I'll post another design variant then.
Changes done:
- New font
- Black analog pads
- Darker text on the keyboard
- Overall contrast and brightness adjustments (I suspect my earlier design was too bright :unsure: My own monitor is set to darker than normal because I'm sensitive to bright light)

pandoralogo5.jpg

fusion_power said:
I have my own design improved, nothing impressive but its easy to use as negative embossed relief. (with white paint into a black surface)
pandoralogo3aq4.png
I'm not a huge fan of the "open box" design, but I absolutely love the Tron font. Maybe try combining it with Alex's ninja star logo?

I'm a little leery of any blatantly box-related logo, but Alex's star is only a box if you're looking for it ;)

OK, had a little more spare time this evening:

iconblack.jpg

iconwhite.jpg

logotype.jpg

consoleopen.jpg

consoleclosed.jpg

I've made a few tweaks, and addressed some of the comments here, plus tried it out on the actual machine, but just subtle. I've put nice big versions of the logos up, as while in reality they wouldn't get used this big, this way you guys get to see all the details better, especially in the type.

I guess judging by some of the comments here, if you're not keen on the whole box thing then this might not be your bag, although the concepts of the box and the whole open thing are strengths to me, not weaknesses or clichés. I am quite pleased however, with the way this icon isn't such a literal box, it's a nice sculptural shape and is quite enigmatic. Like I said earlier, there's a play media symbol in there with the triangle too, pointing forward, so I do think it's more than just a box. I feel like it's a logo which would give the console some visual charisma, and lift it above lots of the other small-scale tech gadgets and personal media players etc which it will be trying to outshine. It feels solid, could make for a lovely website...

Sorry! I learned a long time ago that if I don't talk up my work then no-one else is necessarily going to do it for me! I'm interested in opinions though, like we say at work, everyone's a designer - It's my job, trust me, it's harder than it looks! This would be pretty close to a dream project for me, this sort of opportunity doesn't come along very often...!

Still having fun, great thread... :D

®

Back