Pandora - Looks A Bit 'cheapo'?

Enverex said:
I just hope there is very little travel on the buttons and D-Pad because in the recent video it looks like they have to be pushed quite hard/far which means playing games will have slower reaction times and make your hands hurt a lot quicker. To work well you need buttons that move very little and have a nice obvious feel when they bottom out.
At least the A, B, X, Y aren't on a stupid second D-pad like the Wiz. At least the D-pad won't be as bad as the stupid analog nub crap on the 360 controller. I trust them to get the controls right at least since everyone knows they're pretty much what's going to sell this product.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm scared about dpad and keyboard. I'm a dvorak and heavu console user, there's no TAB key and the ENTER key is too small.

Another missing key is a composite one. What about accents and characters like Ñ?

I think the keyboard needs at least two or three more keys.

What about the trigger buttons? Are they analog or still simple switchs?

I don't really like the keymat as it is.
The buttons are too "roundy".. I like the epoxy coat but i would be happier if they were a little "boxxy-er" :D
Anyway, maybe they will fit nice in the final unit.
And btw, i was getting worried about the case quality because of those white ones but these transparent prototypes shown on youtube look really neat.

Sorry about my bad engrish, etc

omg i said boxxy :ph34r:

EDIT to the above poster: simple switch buttons!
Yet another edit: I know that the white and transparent cases are be the same in terms of build quality

Consequence9 said:
In what way do they look cheap? plenty of things have glossy keys, the pre, blackberrys, etc. & they don't look cheap. Same stuff. And of course the final unit will have them, this was decided ages ago.
Ah, I just realised that my mind associated "glossy" with "soft rubber". If they are hard I guess I will be fine. :)

timofonic said:
I'm scared about dpad and keyboard. I'm a dvorak and heavu console user, there's no TAB key and the ENTER key is too small.
Tab is FN-Space. I disagree on the size of the enter key. On a thumb board, it doesn't need to be big, just immediately accessible. Which it is, placed on the far right. I might have swapped it and the FN key, but that's personal preference.

Another missing key is a composite one. What about accents and characters like Ñ?
One of the triggers (L or R) was designated as the composite key.

Which keys? The keyboard is mappable, so if there are any characters you need, you can reassign keys to them.

Switches.

Bah! I could care less about looks! When I see something shiny, I always skip the shine and look at the operating system and its capabilities. The Pandora delivers big in hardware and software (potential), and being the ugly duckling in the handheld world is certainly not going to change that.

Anyone else here with me? :)

atomicthumbs said:
You're making your decision based on how it looks?  :rolleyes:
Take it easy on him, he's clearly a Mac user. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, I'm not really sure how to respond to somebody that thinks a render of a Pandora made by a fan looks better than a finished photo of a Wiz and won't buy it because they're both ugly. I mean how does one respond to that? I have to wonder if this isn't a "catch the semen" or "ape tit" thing.

yes, the pandora wins no design kontest, but its a usfull handheld wit a lot of gamepower.. and for his universiality he is not realy smal, when i yet se any netbook, i think "it is very big" because the pandora is small than a ds, and brings all funtions from a netbook (whitout a ssd) but whit a full gamepad.. :)

(by the way: awesome and awefull, what is the diverent? sometimes i mistake it..) :unsure:

whit universiality i means: the pandora can a lot of things (internet, gaming, write a dokument, draw a image whit the touchscreen, emulate old consoles, play music etc, when my word is the frong word for my means, sorry

I hope it works well, and arrives soon.

As long as it's sturdy and works well.

Good display and decent sound I mostly hope it looks...................

Like it's in my hand now or in the immediate future.

If it ..looks.. cheap great, less reason anyone will want to steal it.

matzesu said:
(by the way: awesome and awefull, what is the diverent? sometimes i mistake it..) :unsure:

Awesome = Really good, Amazing

Awful = Really bad, Terrible

;)

matzesu said:
whit universiality i means: the pandora can a lot of things (internet, gaming, write a dokument, draw a image whit the touchscreen, emulate old consoles, play music etc, when my word is the frong word for my means, sorry

universiality, You mean versatility. :)

Trooper

Asmo said:
matzesu said:

Awesome = Really good, Amazing

Awful = Really bad, Terrible

;)

These are a few of the words in the English language that don't make logical sense.

After all, totally full is better than part full or some full, right? :p

timofonic said:

What is a composite key? Is that the key you hold down when trying to access extra functions for a certain key, like how a number pad is simulated on a laptop by having the regular keys function as the numeric keypad keys when holding it down?

Chris

christo930 said:
What is a composite key? Is that the key you hold down when trying to access extra functions for a certain key, like how a number pad is simulated on a laptop by having the regular keys function as the numeric keypad keys when holding it down?

Chris

I think it's a button that works sort of like this:

N = N
N, ~ = N~
N, Composite + ~ = N with tilde on top

The Fn key is separate. The Pandora is going to have loads of freaking modifier keys. At least the Locks aren't taking any first-string keys...

I saw a video of the transparent prototype pandora on youtube and it looks pretty good from that, if the black plastic finished product turns out better then it will be pretty good :)

Paradox said:
I saw a video of the transparent prototype pandora on youtube and it looks pretty good from that, if the black plastic finished product turns out better then it will be pretty good :)
The transparent prototype? That's Micheal Weston's prototype. It isn't as new. Check out Craig's latest videos. That's much closer to the final thing.

There are several transparent ones. Those, along with the really old black FDM prototypes, are the only ones we've seen any real video of. Craig does have a recent black CNC prototype, but it's only done cameos so far.

Back