Pandora - Looks A Bit 'cheapo'?

lulzfish said:
christo930 said:
What is a composite key? Is that the key you hold down when trying to access extra functions for a certain key, like how a number pad is simulated on a laptop by having the regular keys function as the numeric keypad keys when holding it down?

Chris

I think it's a button that works sort of like this:

N = N
N, ~ = N~
N, Composite + ~ = N with tilde on top

The Fn key is separate. The Pandora is going to have loads of freaking modifier keys. At least the Locks aren't taking any first-string keys...

You are right! But call me weird if you want, but I want at least two more modifier keys. maybe it's because I use emacs, hehehe.

Anyway, I would like at least another modifier key and some more keys for "~", "TAB","@" and "/". There are more than enough empty space for a few more keys on the sides and porsonally I don't like at all that pyramid way of positioning the keys. Maybe there are a practical reason like case space inside or cooling, but I consider it a waste of space and too ugly.

I know it's "too late for a change" (how many times have I readed it about the Pandora project and an addition like bluetooth appeared?), just a personal opinion. I'm just unmotivated because waiting too much and losed "faith" to the project, just wanted to express my own thinkings at least one last time. Who knows, maybe it can be useful or at least as a bad example of opinion ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
From an industrial design point of view, this thing looks like ass. Sorry, but it's the truth. But get it done and hopefully a nicer design can be achieved in the "Mark II".

forgeflow said:
From an industrial design point of view, this thing looks like ass. Sorry, but it's the truth. But get it done and hopefully a nicer design can be achieved in the "Mark II".
Seen the PSP original? This baby is the electronic equivalent of a hot babe compared to that... thing.

I'm perfectly happy with the current design. Who are you to decide what is the truth, especially never having seen anything more than the prototypes and fan made renders. You are perfectly welcome to have an opinion, but you don't decide what the "truth" is.

I'm not sure how, other than adding a few bits of colour, that the design could really be improved without sacrificing components in all honesty, and really it doesn't look that different from a DS and I certainly don't think it looks "like ass".

Of course it all depends on who's arse it's supposed to look like!

Probably forgeflow's, since his is probably the only one he's ever seen. XD

forgeflow said:

Wow! You've traveled forward in time and seen the finished thing? When did it eventually get released?

Sphinxter said:
Thought $330 usd was cheap for what I'll be getting.

Nope - not "cheap", "cost effective" or "value for money" ;)

IMHO the design may look a littel workmanlike/functional rather than pretty, but to a good degree that nails the market it is aimed at - people who want it to work, reliably, day after day after punishing day, rather than look good for a few weeks then fall apart. IMHO. On which basis, with few reservations along the "let's see what a finished one looks like" basis it looks fine to me.

Well I think it looks good. It'll probably look even better when a commercial model actually exists.

The Pandora design was always going to be difficult, it's not just a gaming console it's more of a pico-netbook with dedicated gaming controls.
I don't think it looks 'bad', I too was a bit concerned about the finish on the final case, but we haven't seen it yet have we so I'm not worried about it. As someone previously said, lets trust the devs.

Talk of a Mark II of the Pandora makes me wonder whether to leave it a bit before I order... but I want it so badly already.

As for the price, $330 is good value for money but I emailed sales and their reply seemed to suggest all accessories including the battery were extra... plus I thought it was the delivered price... oh well, still amazing. It's the most exciting project I've seen.

The Pandora comes with a battery, it's additional batteries which cost extra which makes sense. No point in buying a Pandora with no battery...

To quote Jacquelyn:

"The Pandora includes a battery, power adaptor and stylus"

Dead1nside said:
Talk of a Mark II of the Pandora makes me wonder whether to leave it a bit before I order... but I want it so badly already.
That's a couple of years away, if it happens at all.

Gruso said:
Dead1nside said:
That's a couple of years away, if it happens at all.
I'd go so far as to say it's "a couple of years (tm)" away :)

Seriously Dead1nside, with that mentality you nerver end up buying anything. There's always something better in the horizon.

I don't care much about the looks, but I do care about the feel. I like a product that feels well constructed in my hands, that is sturdy and the keyboard feels good to use.

I wouldn't mind one machined out of a solid block of aluminum with a glowing Pandora logo on the lid... just saying...

I cuddle my 13" MacBook Pro. Sometimes.

WoD said:
I wouldn't mind one machined out of a solid block of aluminum with a glowing Pandora logo on the lid... just saying...
Aluminium oxidizes, which would make it worse to use than hard plastic IMO*. The only thing that would do for me would be to have a shell of some titanium alloy combined with sealed-fibre systems to make the Pandora water- and radiationproof. As it looks now, however, it looks as good as it can, considering the sub-$1000 price that would be impossible to keep if you wanted better shells (better = more practical, not just better looking)

*Aluminium is a really soft metal, and hard compressed plastic can be less scratchable and more vibration-reducing if done properly.

Why? Seems like he's doing a really good service, at least in this case, of proving something awesome as possible.

Back