Release Pandora Now Has 256mb Of Ram And 512mb Internal Nand Storage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oscaruzzo said:
craigix said:
Doom3 anyone?
Am I missing something? How could Doom3 be ported anywhere without full source code? :huh:

"when Rage ships, you can expect the Doom 3 source code to be coming out." - John Carmack

Last edited by a moderator:
SteveM said:
Hopefully there'll be announcement before this becomes the second PayPal fiasco ;-) While I appreciate Craig being so up-front on these matters, to be honest I'd rather hear it all a day later and have all the facts, than have a sketchy announcement a day earlier but nothing to go on but speculation.
Surely the flurry of posts and wild guesses are half the fun - I know I have enjoyed being online today. You could always refrain from reading the forum posts and just check the blog for old and stale (confirmed) news... :)

Well its just a guess but: If you ordered by CC, the bank who gave you the CC might want to have some way to get the money back. So if you ordered, your money gone to the old bank, now if the bank account is closed, and someone tries to get their money back, your bank will have problems getting it and therefore would have to give their own money. And to avoid that situation you would probably have to re-order so your money is at the correct bank - reachable for yours.. Only speculation tho... (Not sure how CC work :p)

daveski said:
Surely the flurry of posts and wild guesses are half the fun - I know I have enjoyed being online today. You could always refrain from reading the forum posts and just check the blog for old and stale (confirmed) news... :)
Heh - yeah, I have tried before to keep off the forums. Murphy's law however dictates that the moment I get back, some bombshell or other will just have been dropped. Or maybe that's just simple statistics ;-)

This sounds like fantastic news! But let me get this straight, I live in england, so I shouldn't need to worry about additional charges (due to the upgrade being free and no need for exchange rates being changed), but the order maybe "cancelled" so I can re-order? Will this possibly make it so I lose my pre-order, and have to wait till next batch??

JayFoxRox said:
Well its just a guess but: If you ordered by CC, the bank who gave you the CC might want to have some way to get the money back. So if you ordered, your money gone to the old bank, now if the bank account is closed, and someone tries to get their money back, your bank will have problems getting it and therefore would have to give their own money. And to avoid that situation you would probably have to re-order so your money is at the correct bank - reachable for yours.. Only speculation tho... (Not sure how CC work :p)

I'm not sure how this would work either. I paid using a one time use card, so I'm kind of wondering as well. I assume that it would just dump funds back into the account it was bound to, but I've not had much experience with credit cards so I don't really know.

And yeah, this has been one of the more fun and interesting mornings on the forum, at least since P-Day. :rolleyes:

So when I can expect to see this refund and email so I can keep my eye and make sure I get this re-purchased.

craigix said:
I'll probably write up a more detailed newsletter for this soon. Sorry for the last minute change - but we think in 6 months you will be very very pleased we did it.
It would be great if you could send an email to people who do not need to reorder together with people who do need to reorder. This means people can trace up if they do not get an email either way instead of having to enquire to double check they do not need to reorder.

SteveM said:
Heh - yeah, I have tried before to keep off the forums. Murphy's law however dictates that the moment I get back, some bombshell or other will just have been dropped. Or maybe that's just simple statistics ;-)
I know - we are all itching for news - ANY news. I know I have had a stupid grin on my face all afternoon, just like the one I had when I had my pre-order confirmed. :D

cbp said:
I ordered with CC, and I do NOT want my order canceled.

Since the order the Canadian dollar dropped by a lot. If I get canceled I will lose about 50$ just in conversion fees. I will NOT reorder and just accept my losses and use my current ipod touch. :(

I agree, just bill the difference if there is an incremental cost instead of a refund, I am a canadian customer too.

Also How do we know who needs to re-order? sounds like a possible mess :(

Pandora team: please clarify as soon as possible....thx

cranker said:
cbp said:
I ordered with CC, and I do NOT want my order canceled.

Since the order the Canadian dollar dropped by a lot. If I get canceled I will lose about 50$ just in conversion fees. I will NOT reorder and just accept my losses and use my current ipod touch. :(

I agree, just bill the difference if there is an incremental cost instead of a refund, I am a canadian customer too.

Also How do we know who needs to re-order? sounds like a possible mess :(

Pandora team: please clarify as soon as possible....thx

As a fellow Canadian I think you're both insane and paying too much attention to what the media wants you to believe. It's embarrassing.
In the last month, there has been a 1 cent change between CAD and GBP. If you paid in pounds, that translates to a difference of 2GBP, or about 4 CAD.
If you paid in USD, there's still only been a drop of 6 cents comparatively. 20 CAD is the difference you pay, and an extra 128 megs of RAM is worth my $20.
Now stop listening to the media and their doomsday speculation, turn off the TV, and hit the internet for some actual research and numbers.

fahrstuhl said:
When you say you won't make money with the first batch do you mean you'll break even or you'll make a loss? (The latter wouldn't be so good...)
It will pay itself back on a later date.

PR: Pandora running Ubuntu.
PR: Pandora has 4 * the memory the PSP Slim has ( 8* the memory of the old PSP )
PR: Now comes included with 512MB Flash instead of 256MB

I'm betting that the decision was not taken lightly... It does make the Pandora Future proof. Aka, more sales because people won't be waiting for the Pandora256 ;)

i totally missed this until kyo alerted me... this is better than when we got BT!

Kerplunk has excellent questions
kerplunk said:
How will this effect the ship date?

When would we know if our order has been cancelled? Are all credit card purchases cancelled or is it only credit card puchases from some countries?

And to add to this question, once we receive the e-mail about the cancellation, how much time will we have to reply and re-order?

The reason they may break even on this batch and make profits on future batches are likely down to the first batch covering R&D costs lke developing custom nubs, machined cases, prototype boards etc. They could also up the price...
gpx74532 said:
craigix said:
I'll probably write up a more detailed newsletter for this soon. Sorry for the last minute change - but we think in 6 months you will be very very pleased we did it.
It would be great if you could send an email to people who do not need to reorder together with people who do need to reorder. This means people can trace up if they do not get an email either way instead of having to enquire to double check they do not need to reorder.I think this is essential, otherwise people will be filling the boards with "I didn't get an email, is my order ok????". We'll all be dreading the emails though...

Another great way to see if you're affected is to check for a big ass $350US debit to the account you paid with. Once everyone else starts saying they got an email.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back