Pandora Origanls

guilmon999

Still Fresh
when the pandora does come out in october will it come with some on board games?
Will there be more 3D games or platform games?
will the pandora come with the emulators or do we have to download them?

guilmon999 said:
when the pandora does come out in october will it come with some on board games?
I don't believe anything has been said for certain, but some videos posted by EvilDragon some time ago seemed to show some icons for some simple games (in the vein of Solitaire and the like) during the course of the operating system being demonstrated. Whether this will be the case on the final units, I do not know.

I'm sorry, I don't understand this question.

As far as I'm aware, we will have to download them. (This will also apply to players for certain audio and video formats, due to differing patents and legal red-tape across different countries.)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the simple solitaire games we saw were bundled into the Matchbox desktop. As for Pandora originals, I'd love to see Pandora Panic and a lite/demo version of Lerp shipped on the unit.

I've still (!) got that homebrew feature article in the works, it'll be time to put that up soon. "Pandora Originals" is the theme I'm running with, so I like your thread title. :D

Here's the list from my old thread.

- Pandora Panic
- Pandora Pool Panic*
- Human Condition (formerly TINCS)
- Galactic Artifact
- Zomb'd
- Nail's Adventure
- PanMMO (new title pending..?)
- Onee-Sama Tasukete
- We Come In Peace (formerly Galacon/Intergalactic)
- Superluminal
- Lerp
- Battle Jewels*

*Technically a port, but it's from within the GP32X scene and being done by the original dev.

We haven't heard from Eniko for six months or something (she was working on PanMMO and Onee-Sama Tasukete). I hope she continues her projects once she has some hardware. Mr Gonzo has been laying low too, I'd hate to see Zomb'd abandoned. :(

Any info or additional games would be welcome. If you're making something, let me know here so I can include you in the article. A screenshot or some artwork is essential. ;)

Gruso said:
I think the simple solitaire games we saw were bundled into the Matchbox desktop. As for Pandora originals, I'd love to see Pandora Panic and a lite/demo version of Lerp shipped on the unit.

I don't think that there is any game bundled with Matchbox, at least not in the angstrom matchbox packages, but there are a few such games in angstrom

As for having preinstalled homebrews, it's good for the chosen homebrews, but it would require installing them on the NAND, and this would remove the clean system / apps separation.

It would probably be nice however to have them preinstalled on the SD cards sold by OP, if it's not a logistic nightmare.

Gruso said:
I'd love to see Pandora Panic and a lite/demo version of Lerp shipped on the unit.

Although that creates a chicken/egg paradox, as I'll need a real unit to test it on before I'd be happy to release it!
(FYI, I spent last weekend getting the ARM compiler working, and shifting over some of the OpenGL code to be GLES compatible, so most of the porting work's already done, but I'd want to be sure it was playing smoothly first!!)

valhalla said:
As for having preinstalled homebrews, it's good for the chosen homebrews, but it would require installing them on the NAND, and this would remove the clean system / apps separation.

It would probably be nice however to have them preinstalled on the SD cards sold by OP, if it's not a logistic nightmare.
yes, maybe at some point a pre packaged homebrew filled SD card could be sold by the pandora team as i agree it would be a neat way to get it out there (profits to the game devs of course), but we definitely want a clean NAND

benjymous said:
Gruso said:
I'd love to see Pandora Panic and a lite/demo version of Lerp shipped on the unit.

Although that creates a chicken/egg paradox, as I'll need a real unit to test it on before I'd be happy to release it!
(FYI, I spent last weekend getting the ARM compiler working, and shifting over some of the OpenGL code to be GLES compatible, so most of the porting work's already done, but I'd want to be sure it was playing smoothly first!!)
Ask someone you know to have a working Pandora unit to test it for you. :)

As for PandoraPanic! I think ED said we could be on the included software disc. I don't think it will be put on the NAND, for one the game has grown rather big in terms of assets

What's wrong with just downloading what you want? Does it have too come with preinstalled software? I don't like it

guilmon999 said:
Probably. There's a standard set of free games, like solitaire, minesweeper, and sudoku (to name a few) that are freely available and often included with the distro itself. These will probably be included with the Pandora.

There are already a number of games being developed that are geared towards the Pandora, or at least with an intentional Pandora release. Some of them actually look pretty good, too.

You will have to download them. The PND package system is really easy to use though: just go to the website, browse to the emulator section, download the file for the game or emulator you want to play, and copy that single file to your SD card. Insert the card into your Pandora and it comes up in the menu automatically.

I think the pandoras should come shipped with lots of software on the NAND. As long as it's removal by IPKG.

Titcher said:
I think the pandoras should come shipped with lots of software on the NAND. As long as it's removal by IPKG.

Better yet, allow people like myself to add the software I want, instead of spending time removing software I don't want.
If it's available for download then why in the world should we have more delays while someone installs things I don't need.

I find it funny how people have complained about PC bloatware for so long and we now have requests to have everything under the sun added to our Pandora for us when we don't even know what that is yet! LOL

Half the fun on day one is going to be finding what is available and giving it a try. I get the impression the first few days at least will be sparse as the dev's double check things before releasing software since they will finally have the actual hardware. So what exactly are people expecting to see installed!?

In any case, I will be one of the last to receive my Pandora, I'm sure there will be plenty to do the day it arrives without any pre-installed nonsense.

Gruso said:

- Pandora Panic
- Pandora Pool Panic*
- Galactic Artifact
- Zomb'd
- Nail's Adventure
- Onee-Sama Tasukete
- Superluminal
- Lerp
- Battle Jewels*

*Technically a port, but it's from within the GP32X scene and being done by the original dev.

We haven't heard from Eniko for six months or something (she was working on PanMMO and Onee-Sama Tasukete). I hope she continues her projects once she has some hardware. Mr Gonzo has been laying low too, I'd hate to see Zomb'd abandoned. :(

Any info or additional games would be welcome. If you're making something, let me know here so I can include you in the article. A screenshot or some artwork is essential. ;)
Put mine on (Arms and Armor), although I'm still learning Python and am probably going to make a simpler puzzle game first. :p

Gruso said:

- Pandora Panic
- Pandora Pool Panic*
- Galactic Artifact
- Zomb'd
- Nail's Adventure
- Onee-Sama Tasukete
- Superluminal
- Lerp
- Battle Jewels*

Don't forget ZEQ2Lite :)

Yeah and while you are at it, add the Warioland remake I (and the rest of the team) are currently working on.
Well, maybe add it in a week or two as I currently can't give you a proper name and screenshots, but I assure you we are working on some and there should be an announcement with some artwork soon (it is not finished yet and I really don't want to release unfinished artwork - Dragons_Slayer would probably beat me :p ).
I could, on the other hand, send you beautiful images of lots of C++ code ;) and well here is a video showing the current engine development (well not the most current to be exact), but for those not involved in the project it really is not much to look at as the graphics are temporary and you don't know what's working in the background:

We are still in need of a coder, by the way...

But nice to see what's being worked on, can't wait to try all that beautiful stuff :D

foxblock out

It'd be cool to have a [Pandora Originals] tag that can be applied to the splash screen of any apps or games originally designed for the pandora, to show that we do have our own software library.

Here's a comprehensive list of the software that is being developed for the Pandora, including games:
http://pandorawiki.org/Projects_Under_Development

Some of it original, some of it not.

parag0n said:
It'd be cool to have a [Pandora Originals] tag that can be applied to the splash screen of any apps or games originally designed for the pandora, to show that we do have our own software library.

That is a good idea, I just would it call "Pandora Origanls" just for the inside joke ;)
I think I will design a badge or some sort of, like the "Certified for Vista" logo...

Back