Pandora + Pc + Dosbox

Prometheus said:
Jazz Jackrabbit. I've got Jazz CD sitting on my desk waiting to be run on the Pandora, in fact. :D
Same here, though mine is hidden somewhere in my appartement with probably about 10 inches of dust on it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
nubie said:
Anybody remember Thexder or Lemmings?

Those are some good games :).
The Amiga version of Lemmings is far superior in every way... "oh nooooaaw!" :D

As for me, games I'll be playing on DosBox:
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • Crystal Caves
  • Jill of the Jungle
  • Duke Nukem
and I might mess around with GW-Basic if I can find a copy. Line numbers foreveer!!!

trooper said:
Settlers 2 Gold Edition (I know it need a 486/66 minimum, But i can dream, Can`t i ?). :D
Failing that, Even the original Settlers would suffice, Which needs a 386/25 if i my memory serves me well.
The Amiga version of Settlers 1 should run perfectly fine

Dark seed (and dark seed 2 if it works), a dark point and click adventure game I never finished in my youth

Master of Orion .. never played it in the day but now enjoy the genre thanks to games like Galciv2

Lots of old zork style adventure games that I never played back in the day

Tie Fighter if it works

Oh and Quake

Thanks for reminding me of Ignition, I played it a lot when I was younger. HoMM 2 would be beyond awesome to play on Pandora if its posible.

I'm interested in running most of the stuff that's running on my HP 200LX.

If you've never heard of it, it's an Intel 186 SOC handheld, CGA screen (Mono LCD) with a full keyboard (and serial mouse with adapter).

So hopefully I can run most of this stuff, not to mention Windows 3.1 (186 only supports Windows 3.0). The PC version of the built-in software should work perfectly too, plus the Tandy Deskmate OS.

My LX runs quite a lot of dos games, but screen blur really spoils stuff - Commander Keen for example is a big smudgy mess.

For added emulator-in-emulator perversity, the gameboy emulator no$cash should work, and maybe others.

Pleng said:
and I might mess around with GW-Basic if I can find a copy. Line numbers foreveer!!!
I can personally attest that Qbasic on a handheld is addictive as crack.

Guess what else will work: Pascal, C, C++, assembler, visual basic (yes there is a Dos version of VB) etc...

icurafu said:
You can always fall back to AppleII emulator for Uukrul.
Nope. I only can be played using VGA graphics :D

slaanesh said:
Eye of the Beholder
Civilization
SNES remakes I think is more playable that is on dosbox on handheld

In EOB the right mouse button have much using. It will not convinient to use stylus+some shift button. If I remember there EOB on amiga also. Only disadvance to play on SNES - only one game of trilogy.

There are some nice things pandora brings to the development side.
First no memory constraints, no need to save and memory and use ability to use 32 megs for the dos app.
Physical keyboard, no need for the virtual keyboard (well it might worth keeping in for some strange keys, we will see when the time comes)
Speed like i mentioned before. We should see about a 3x performance increase from the GP2X level.

All dos games/apps should run, the question is speed, will they run at fullspeed or not.
Dosbox willsupport the keyboard, joysticks, touchscreen all through SDL. I really hope we hear more about SDL being completed as the pandora ship date comes closer.

I think games like stunts could be somewhat playable, doom might be playable at the lowest of settings. I have run both of these on my GP2X.

Another interesting thing I always thought about was offloading SB sound to another cpu or dsp. It wouldnt be a huge increase in speed, but it might give us very nice sound on games that run better with the sound off.

I'm definitely looking forward to the old Maxis titles. SimCity, SimEarth, and especially SimAnt, which is my personal favorite. Pandora might choke on SimLife, which I remember just crawling on my Packard Bell :lol: 386SX-16 with 2MB of RAM. SimFarm will probably run though, if I feel like some portable manual labor. :D

I'm also thinking about the applications that came with my SoundBlaster Pro. (I still have the floppies!)

Pleng said:
nubie said:
Anybody remember Thexder or Lemmings?

Those are some good games :).
The Amiga version of Lemmings is far superior in every way... "oh nooooaaw!" :D
How? Are you sure you were running the VGA version of lemmings? Or was it the audio.

As for me, games I'll be playing on DosBox:
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • Crystal Caves
  • Jill of the Jungle
  • Duke Nukem

Yeah Jazz is cool, I remember Jill of the Jungle too.

mechanizeddeath said:
I'm definitely looking forward to the old Maxis titles. SimCity, SimEarth, and especially SimAnt, which is my personal favorite. Pandora might choke on SimLife, which I remember just crawling on my Packard Bell :lol: 386SX-16 with 2MB of RAM. SimFarm will probably run though, if I feel like some portable manual labor. :D

I'm also thinking about the applications that came with my SoundBlaster Pro. (I still have the floppies!)
forgot about Simfarm. im going to download that right now. also SimIsle, i remember always wanting that game as a kid, but my family computer didnt have enough ram :(

Back