Pandora + Pc + Dosbox

Jurassic Tycoon? Possibly the most interesting tycoon game i've ever played. Also a very old one.

Pleng said:
nubie said:
Anybody remember Thexder or Lemmings?

Those are some good games :).
The Amiga version of Lemmings is far superior in every way... "oh nooooaaw!" :D
How? Are you sure you were running the VGA version of lemmings? Or was it the audio.

Well the graphics gave the illusion of being better than the PC version as the Amiga was generally output to aTV, therefore the natural fuzz of the output meant the curves looked smoother. The PC ran at low resolution and with its crisper display, the graphics lookd a lot 'blockier'. I guess this won't be true when playing on Pandora, but the Amiga definitely wins in the sound department!

Last edited by a moderator:
Pleng said:
Pleng said:
nubie said:
Anybody remember Thexder or Lemmings?

Those are some good games :).
The Amiga version of Lemmings is far superior in every way... "oh nooooaaw!" :D
How? Are you sure you were running the VGA version of lemmings? Or was it the audio.

Well the graphics gave the illusion of being better than the PC version as the Amiga was generally output to aTV, therefore the natural fuzz of the output meant the curves looked smoother. The PC ran at low resolution and with its crisper display, the graphics lookd a lot 'blockier'. I guess this won't be true when playing on Pandora, but the Amiga definitely wins in the sound department!

...not to mention the Amiga-exclusive 2-player split-screen "battle mode". Plug two mice in. One player controls the green lemmings with the blue hair, and the other controls the blue lemmings with the green hair. The object is to get as many lemmings (of either colour) into your exit. Much chaos ensued! (was actually remarkably fun)

impreziv said:
mechanizeddeath said:
I'm definitely looking forward to the old Maxis titles. SimCity, SimEarth, and especially SimAnt, which is my personal favorite. Pandora might choke on SimLife, which I remember just crawling on my Packard Bell :lol: 386SX-16 with 2MB of RAM. SimFarm will probably run though, if I feel like some portable manual labor. :D

I'm also thinking about the applications that came with my SoundBlaster Pro. (I still have the floppies!)
forgot about Simfarm. im going to download that right now. also SimIsle, i remember always wanting that game as a kid, but my family computer didnt have enough ram :(

thankfully i don't need to download. B) i still have all my old games, complete with floppies, boxes, and manuals. SimAnt is damaged tho and so i'll have to use a copy of that one.

i wonder if i'll be able to hook up a USB floppy drive to Pandora and install them old school. :lol:

Line O'Sevens said:
...not to mention the Amiga-exclusive 2-player split-screen "battle mode". Plug two mice in. One player controls the green lemmings with the blue hair, and the other controls the blue lemmings with the green hair. The object is to get as many lemmings (of either colour) into your exit. Much chaos ensued! (was actually remarkably fun)
I'm going to be a tiny bit pedantic and point out that the Mega Drive port of Lemmings also had the two-player mode. Although, the Mega Drive port was pretty horrible (music OR speech? Not both? That was lazy - even the Game Gear version could do both at once), so I guess it doesn't really matter all that much. :lol:

Anyone have any idea whether Warcraft I will be playable on Pandora?

I'm guessing Warcraft II definitely won't be possible, except for maybe a FreeCraft port.

Frank Grimes said:

I'm guessing Warcraft II definitely won't be possible, except for maybe a FreeCraft port.
Warcraft I should be possible on the Pandora via dosbox, As it requires a 386 PC to play it on, Which a 386 is the general consensus of the performance possible from the Pandora via dosbox. As for Warcraft II, Adventus, A member here ported "Wargus for GP2X, an engine re-implementation of warcraft II based on the Stratagus v2.2.4 engine."

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,2658

So, There could be a possibility of Warcraft II on the Pandora, Though not necessarily via dosbox.

Trooper

Frank Grimes said:

[edit- trooper beat me to it, posting anyway.]

Warcraft 1 is playable in DOSBox on GP2X (slowly), so it should be fine on Pandora.

DOSBox aside, Warcraft 2 (in Wargus form) has been ported to GP2X by Adventus and runs nicely, so that's an easy one for Pandora too. Adventus also said Stargus (Starcraft) should be an easy port.

Starcraft on Pandora. Yeah baby. B)

quasist said:
slaanesh said:
Eye of the Beholder
Civilization
SNES remakes I think is more playable that is on dosbox on handheld

In EOB the right mouse button have much using. It will not convinient to use stylus+some shift button. If I remember there EOB on amiga also. Only disadvance to play on SNES - only one game of trilogy.

Ah but you see, that's the beauty of Pandora! With the keyboard and analog controls which would be perfect for mouse, these kind of games become highly playable!

I'm in two minds about this so I'll use my negative half on this.
I've never been fond of re-makes of games for other platforms. Especially when the original worked really well the way it was. Eye of the Beholder and Dungeon Master type games *need* a mouse-like input device to work so that you can have fun playing the game without having to think too much about a clumsy interface.
Same goes for games like Civilization where you just point and click. The interface is seamless. Having said that, I reckon the N-gage version of Civilization has a remarkably good interface for a keyboard-only type device.

trooper said:
Frank Grimes said:

Warcraft I should be possible on the Pandora via dosbox, As it requires a 386 PC to play it on, Which a 386 is the general consensus of the performance possible from the Pandora via dosbox. As for Warcraft II, Adventus, A member here ported "Wargus for GP2X, an engine re-implementation of warcraft II based on the Stratagus v2.2.4 engine."

http://www.gp2x.de/cgi-bin/cfiles.cgi?0,0,0,0,20,2658

So, There could be a possibility of Warcraft II on the Pandora, Though not necessarily via dosbox.

Trooper

Gruso said:
Frank Grimes said:

[edit- trooper beat me to it, posting anyway.]

Warcraft 1 is playable in DOSBox on GP2X (slowly), so it should be fine on Pandora.

DOSBox aside, Warcraft 2 (in Wargus form) has been ported to GP2X by Adventus and runs nicely, so that's an easy one for Pandora too. Adventus also said Stargus (Starcraft) should be an easy port.

Starcraft on Pandora. Yeah baby. B)

Sounds great, thanks for the info guys :)

atomicthumbs said:
Galactix! Woo!
This was my favorite. It was so good that it was the first shareware game that I actually purchased (ran well on a 286 machine). I got it to play on the GP2X but it ran just a bit too slow.

SteveM said:
I'm hoping the DOS versions of Monkey Island (I and II) will be playable, otherwise the Amiga ports will do me fine.
You probably won't need the DOS versions other than for data. SCUMMVM is available on the Maemo platform (meaning the mainline work for an ARM version is already there at this point...), supposedly plays Monkey Island 1 & 2 well. You won't need to "emulate" it- it sits on a native engine at this point. ;)

Svartalf said:
SteveM said:
I'm hoping the DOS versions of Monkey Island (I and II) will be playable, otherwise the Amiga ports will do me fine.
You probably won't need the DOS versions other than for data. SCUMMVM is available on the Maemo platform (meaning the mainline work for an ARM version is already there at this point...), supposedly plays Monkey Island 1 & 2 well. You won't need to "emulate" it- it sits on a native engine at this point. ;)

well SCUMMVM is runing on pandora rite now http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=...00044b7304d33e2
As for the Pandora,

ScummVM already runs on the current development boards Very Happy. I did that some time ago

argor said:
Svartalf said:
well SCUMMVM is runing on pandora rite now http://forums.scummvm.org/viewtopic.php?t=...00044b7304d33e2

Even better! I only really wanted DOSBox for these and, at a push, Populous II (of which I'd rather play the Amiga version anyway).

Wonder what these games will be like on a touchscreen...

Back