Pandora Rebirth Competition (2012-01-09)

The entry HAS to work on the Pandora. It does not have to be in PND format, but it should run and start on the Pandora.

makes it really hard to do when you don't have a way to test.

I got things running on BeagleBoard/Ubuntu and PandaBoard/Ubuntu very nicely, but the same executable won't run on a Pandora.

lib compatibility and other OS-specific issues that's easy enough to fix but not possible without having the machine/OS.

kind of a chicken-n-egg problem when considering the competition prizes :p

WIN A PANDORA!!! *

*if and only if you already have a pandora

lib compatibility and other OS-specific issues that's easy enough to fix but not possible without having the machine/OS.
Perhaps someone could setup a Pandora with a VNC server and time slots for testing. Not ideal, but if all you are doing is ensuring OS compatibility it should be fine.

Hi,

I have a very important exam on the 8th february, so if I would participate, I would only have 21 days left. But snowman was made in 2 weeks. So maybe I will post a small game, I have some easy ideas, which should make a lot of fun. :D

@Stephane Hockenhull: I never owned a pandora and always had builds for it from my games. Just try to develop for the pandora resolution (800x480) and keep the 600…900 Mhz in mind. Furthermore beta testers are allowed and - in this case - needed. ;)

greetings, Ziz

Edit: Oh, I translated the contest to the German board, too: http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=13287

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this would be an excellent time for someone to whip up a phone or VoIP app or somethin. Not that i have any money to make a pool or anything though :p , but it defiantly would take my vote!

About the game / product:

It doesn't need to be finished by the deadline! I'll add that to the rules!

If it's promising enough to get the vote from the community, then it's fine as well :)
Am I correct to assume that you should have something and not just make an idea or actually be making it? Also would someone be willing to help me test it if I get free time between now and the deadline, seeing as I lack a pandora.

About the game / product:

It doesn't need to be finished by the deadline! I'll add that to the rules!

If it's promising enough to get the vote from the community, then it's fine as well :)
Am I correct to assume that you should have something and not just make an idea or actually be making it? Also would someone be willing to help me test it if I get free time between now and the deadline, seeing as I lack a pandora.

Sure. PM me.

The entry HAS to work on the Pandora. It does not have to be in PND format, but it should run and start on the Pandora.

makes it really hard to do when you don't have a way to test.

I got things running on BeagleBoard/Ubuntu and PandaBoard/Ubuntu very nicely, but the same executable won't run on a Pandora.

kind of a chicken-n-egg problem when considering the competition prizes :p

WIN A PANDORA!!! *

*if and only if you already have a pandora

Not really... PandoraPanic! Was made almost entirely without a Pandora... Sure a lot of tweaking was needed with the help of ED and Pickle testing on actual hardware, but this was mostly just because the Keymapping was still unstable before Pandora "release"

It should be a LOT easier for someone to make a nice game using SDL (Or Penjin, PenjinTwo), than it was for myself and all that contributed to PandoraPanic! Now that we know things like the standard keymap of a Pandora, etc.

Really, we need everyone in the community to take a picture of themselves holding up various numbers, so we could make a Pandora Community Clock; rather, we'd need 24hr * 60min == 1440 pictures, as doing it with 3 pictures across would be pretty ugly I imagine.

Inspiration; The Human Clock http://www.humancloc..._______X____9pm

And wow, google is awesome; apparently there is a bikini clock (NSFW!): http://www.bikiniclo.../index-prod.php

PandoraNeckbeardClock wouldn't nearly be as awesome :)

jeff

edit: bah, sleep dep; okay, so on a 12 hour clock you get to mirror image, so really thats 12hr * 60min == 720 pictures needed. I just couldn't let that slip, knowing someone would come along and correct me on the requirements, even though I'm being entirely a joke here.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think that would win but wouldn't it be a group project who should get the prize?

Perhaps someone could setup a Pandora with a VNC server and time slots for testing. Not ideal, but if all you are doing is ensuring OS compatibility it should be fine.

that, my friend, is a GREAT IDEA!

this could solve the problem reasonably well if the test cycle is short enough to get things running within the testing time slot.

the only problem in my case are the libs at least I think it is, maybe the ABI is slightly different too, a single "helloworld" executable worked on both without modifications but not my more complex unit tests so I was thinking about trying to make a PandoraOS - BeagleBoard/Ubuntu-kernel hybrid to somehow work (the main SoC being the same).

but I don't have experience at making what would basically comes down to "my own distro" and the necessary voodoo required, worse even deconstructing 2 distros and making a hybrid :p

@Ziz and @PokeParadox: I don't use SDL, and what made you think I'm making a game ?

... ... oh well ... there goes two votes for my entry, I'd make such a horrible politician.

I'm also working on a modified version of sebt3's VirtualBox image which has a complete crosscompile devsetup for the Pandora included.

I'll try to finish a first version within the next days :)

I'm also working on a modified version of sebt3's VirtualBox image which has a complete crosscompile devsetup for the Pandora included.

I'll try to finish a first version within the next days :)

Nice, but please make all the modifications and update the gnpxml script.

I think there are some thing, that sebt3 didn't update in this image, because of uploadtimes.

Okay, if anyone can tell me what's missing from his image and how to add it, I'll do that :)

@Ziz and @PokeParadox: I don't use SDL, and what made you think I'm making a game ?

... ... oh well ... there goes two votes for my entry, I'd make such a horrible politician.

Um... dunno...

But still for most purposes you can test locally and tweak to specific target later...

I allready donwloaded this but could you just tell me how to install properly ?

Thanks

Back