Pandora Rebirth Competition (2012-01-09)

Oh, well.. nobody have concerns when commercial apps uses as well GPL'ed / PD Libs. Do any of You have concern about using SDL libs, eh? Maybe every dev that creates app / games that uses these libs should send a money to SDL Dev Team after winning a Pandora rebirth compo?

Wanna going further? - maybe a donation to Linus T. or Stallman, since thanks to them you can port it to OS. Or should i send a donation to GCC developers / porters? Because thanks to 'em I compiled my app/game and I won the compo..

Edit:

Anyway .. for me we're heading onto mouth of absurd, when we're thinking this way, and the best solution for solve this "problem" is to ask real developer [and we want his app to port to OP] to participate in Pandora contest, if he will say he's not interested, we have green light, then..

I would say a dev who uses any thirdparty libs should give them credit by naming them, showing their logos, etc. But taking a finished thirdparty product and wrapping a splash screen around it seems not ok for me. I don't think that they should not be entered for this competition, but instead I would rather not have this splash screen in it.

At the moment, I'm not planning PORTS for Pandora Rebith competition, too..
Wow, reading that makes me think I sounded like I'd been on a witch hunt for porters. That wasn't my intention, but if that's how I sounded, I apologise

At the moment, I'm not planning PORTS for Pandora Rebith competition, too..
Wow, reading that makes me think I sounded like I'd been on a witch hunt for porters. That wasn't my intention, but if that's how I sounded, I apologise

Hey, no problemo. I didnt even tried to add any port to Rebirth from the beginning.

I would like to see how the situation turns.. will there be any ports in compo? im curious..

Last edited:
In the end the community will vote for the winner. So a "port" which is basically nothing else but pressing two buttons and wrapping it up as a .PND will stand no chance to win anyway!

A real port that takes a lot of work however might actually win (although I doubt it can be finished or brought to a "good enough state" in time). Since that is a lot of work, I see no problem to enter something like this in a contest (especially since the rules explicitly allow it), and in that case it is also no problem to add a banner (also note that it does not have to be a splash screen by all means) of the contest. It should (and actually will) be clear, though, that this is "just" a port of an already existing software, written by whoever wrote it.

I don't agree with that. I think generally people will vote for whichever submission they consider to be the greater addition to the Pandora's arsenal, not to which one they think the submitter put the most work into.

I don't agree with that. I think generally people will vote for whichever submission they consider to be the greater addition to the Pandora's arsenal, not to which one they think the submitter put the most work into.

true..

..so for example if somebody releases proper nullDC build, we have instantly the winner of the compo..

and that give me an idea: maybe its good idea to categorize te compo like:

game

emulator

application

other [crazy compo.. anything goes]

Last edited:
For my part, I have two projects that I may enter. One is a port of a classic shooter, which being closed-source (and paid for) would be a serous coup for the Pandora. However, it will require quite a lot of work to get it onto the Panda, with a very long development process to port it to linux first. With my lack of C++ skills, this may mean weeks of development time.

The other project is one I've been working on for quite some time on the PC, and will take about half an hour to make a pandora build, but that's on top of the nearly two years I've been working on it...

So I fully intend to enter ports for the compo, should I bother to enter - none of the prizes are worth anything to me (I like black Pandas! Not gold or whatever colour is on offer...)

I wonder if I can code a totally original game in PandaBAS and enter that?

D.

for the moment I teach you a clue of the propose of my entry :D

simetriklg.jpg

dk_ufm_finallg.jpg

pictish_ruinslg.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm thinking to partecipate with a port.... :) the only thing i have "learned" so far in this years (not many) of OpenSource's console (GP2X and Pandora).

I don't know if i could reach the goal as it's a difficult task (a GL-->GLES convertion....but not the Fade2Black project that i want to release out of the compo) and maybe too difficult for my skills, but i wanna try....who know :rolleyes:

I don't think, that the people will vote more for entries with much work. In fact: They don't know who much work was needed. Most pandora users are users not developers. So they just see e.g. a 2D Jump and Run. I could have made if from the scratch, or using SDL, or using Penjin, or it could be a hard or an easy port. In best case I need just a few hours for the control-changes in the worst case I need the whole competition time - always for the same game.

The normal user will just see the result. Maybe he sees "Oh, 3D stuff...", or "Oh, colourfull stuff", or "this games really feels complete". But these are no units for working time. ;-)

And categories like applications, games, emulators, etc. wouldn't solve this problem. Categories like Ports, Selfmade, Engine used (but what is an engine? is SDL an engine?) would help here - but I don't like the idea.

But nevertheless: The only chance to get a good rank with a small game, in which MUCH work was involved, is to show the progress of the game from the beginning in a thread in this forum. So the community sees, what happens, and sees the work. ;-)

greetings, Ziz

I love competitions like this. I have never actually entered anything in one, but every time one comes up I start coding game ideas that I've had before. Always fun to have something to motivate me to code. Maybe this time I'll actually finish something to get it into the competition. I'm not really concerned with winning it, though... just with finishing something, for once.

But nevertheless: The only chance to get a good rank with a small game, in which MUCH work was involved, is to show the progress of the game from the beginning in a thread in this forum. So the community sees, what happens, and sees the work. ;-)

I'm not sure.

ForgetMeNot is a small game, basically, but it would certainly get some votes from the users.

It's the overall experience that counts. If someone has a kick-ass idea for some game and does a good job coding it, then it can be a winner. Even if it's a simple game.

VVVVVV was one of the best games I played lately, and the base idea is VERY simple.

About ports:

Yes, sure, some ports can be done within a few hours. However, these ports HAVE already been done, and as long as they aren't being worked on to improve a lot on the Pandora, they won't get many votes I guess.

I think the competition is fine, without needing different categories.

All kinds of developers can win here:

Devs who are spot-on with porting complicated stuff.

Devs who have very creative but simple gaming ideas and can code them.

Devs who are not creative but are great on working on OS stuff.

Basically, EVERYONE could win here.

I love competitions like this. I have never actually entered anything in one, but every time one comes up I start coding game ideas that I've had before. Always fun to have something to motivate me to code. Maybe this time I'll actually finish something to get it into the competition. I'm not really concerned with winning it, though... just with finishing something, for once.

This is pretty much my position. I've never contributed anything to a competition (or anything for the pandora before) but I'm determined to have something ready for this one. Of course there are many far greater devs in the community, I'm going in with the assumption that I won't win anything, but it would certainly be a nice bonus!

Devs are like painters, some of them develop own individual technique, some of them copies technique from other devs. But theres always a part of creativity in there, always..

Last edited:
Back