Pandora Rebirth Competition (2012-01-09)

I think it would be more fair if the end date would be 1 month after all people of the 4000 devices have their device. Now a lot people don't have a chance to take part.

I agree, but I'm sure there will be another compo.

another solution is to order a BeagleBoard, install the ubuntu image and 3d drivers, get the Pandora dev package and run the executable on the BeagleBoard.

I finally got that solution working :p

the BB seem able to run Pandora apps and has HDMI output so you kinda get a "hdtv console" version of the Pandora :)

I haven't tested anything other than my own Pandora builds yet, dunno how well the other games run on the BB, probably depends on the libs used.

Another option is to develop your app in GLBasic, take part on their forum, have the guys who own a Pandora test it, and voila!

That is what I´m doing.

A little bit late into the game, but would it be possible to modify rule number three just a teeny bit ?

The entry HAS to work on the Pandora. It does not have to be in PND format, but it should run and start on the Pandora.
Could this be extended to HAS to work on the Pandora, or has to be at least be tightly bound to the Pandora ?

I working (for ages) on a tool that lets you manage your pnds from the pc. Altough it could technically run on the pandora (can't test it though) it would not make any sense to do it. But the software alone makes no sense without having a Pandora

A little bit late into the game, but would it be possible to modify rule number three just a teeny bit ?

The entry HAS to work on the Pandora. It does not have to be in PND format, but it should run and start on the Pandora.
Could this be extended to HAS to work on the Pandora, or has to be at least be tightly bound to the Pandora ?

I working (for ages) on a tool that lets you manage your pnds from the pc. Altough it could technically run on the pandora (can't test it though) it would not make any sense to do it. But the software alone makes no sense without having a Pandora

True, that makes sense. Will change that, thanks :)

Yeah, I know it's a while away yet, but I would like to know how we're meant to submit our entries!

Are you finished already?

I'll probably create an FTP server where you can zip up and upload your finished archive :)

Haha no, coming along nicely, but still a long way to go! Curiosity just got the better of me :p

By the way, do we get to write a little advertising blurb to go with it? My submission has an accompanying website, and if I just just upload a pnd to the ftp server that won't get seen!

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds fine. I just wanted to be aware before 2 minutes from the due time :p Trust me, that's not fun.

About what size would the required images be? I'm trying to get a feel of where I should put them in (Mine will be a port of a fairly popular FOSS game, so I don't want to just put it in an ugly way that sticks out.) My goal is to make the port such that no one can tell where the original code ends and mine begins.

Haha no, coming along nicely, but still a long way to go! Curiosity just got the better of me :p

By the way, do we get to write a little advertising blurb to go with it? My submission has an accompanying website, and if I just just upload a pnd to the ftp server that won't get seen!

Sure, you can advertise as much as you want :)

I'll also setup an entry page with screenshots and descriptions.

I'll inform you about everything that needs to be submitted later :)

Sounds perfect. I might as well say it now, I'm planning on porting Hedgewars. Most, if not all of the libraries are present, lucky me. :D

I'm going to need lots of closed testing, what with me having no pandora.

Sounds perfect. I might as well say it now, I'm planning on porting Hedgewars. Most, if not all of the libraries are present, lucky me. :D

I'm going to need lots of closed testing, what with me having no pandora.
join us on #OpenPandora on Freenode, plenty of devs and testers with pandoras to help

just let us know about when the splash stuff is due...I have an awesome one in mind I´m not sure I can manage time for it :(

Has anything been decided about how & when the voting will take place? I guess it's not top priority right now, but it would make sense to clarify things like :

How the votes will be counted

Who will be allowed to vote

When the voting starts

When the voting ends

Was also wondering about the idea of a showcase thread where entries could be revealed and perhaps a list compiled linking to threads detailing specific entries.

So Crow-riot and I are mulling over whether we should bring Paper Wars into this competition or not. The project is fairly mature and has changed quite a bit from its last incarnation during the Riot Tag Team competition. Setting a new deadline would certainly help motivate us to finish off some needed features.

However, we absolutely don't want to slight this community and the amazing developers here with a game that has already won.

How would people feel about us getting involved?

I really would like to see some progress of Paper Wars. :) And I still waiting for a new Version, since I played the game the last time.

Is it really fair to other entrants if games started prior to the comp are allowed to enter, whethere the rules permit them or not?

Being mean and everything, I would consider it unfair letting projects enter here that were previously released.

Really, I don't want to demotivate any dev who's providing his work for free, but it just wouldn't feel right to me... I guess you guys had your wins, now let others follow (or create something new yourself).

Back