Pandora starters guide Micro Mart 1219

I used the superzaxxon as mentioned in the article. Downloaded Fuze from the PD Store, sound is on - the memorable, but grating music of Manic Miner. I can't use the menu on the speccy 128k though, no clicking.

Eric.

I bought this last night and I'd like to encourage you all to buy it too, they obviously read the forums and they are not going to be happy with seeing their work posted here for free.

They also cover the Amiga and if their sales could see even a small jump from the Pandora coverage I'm sure they will continue it.

Just 100 of us buying this issue could make a difference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the magazine sold anywhere in Belgium? (I'm not going to travel outside of my country just to buy the issue)

I used the superzaxxon as mentioned in the article. Downloaded Fuze from the PD Store, sound is on - the memorable, but grating music of Manic Miner. I can't use the menu on the speccy 128k though, no clicking.

Eric.

That's really odd - I've tried every permutation of OS after HF6, and each of the releases of Fuse with the same result, a soft continuous clicking that so many others have reported too, so I kept a HF6a4 card for it. In fact, with each update of the OS it's one of the first things I check to see if it's fixed!

When you start Fuse and just have the bare white '© 1982' Spectrum screen up, do you hear nothing at all (except key press clicks when you push any buttons)? It's definitely FUSE and not ZX Pandy we're talking about?

Is there anything special about your unit, like being a 1Ghz one? Did you ever install the codec pack? Many Speccy fans would love to get to the bottom of this ;)

Anyone else tried FUSE on an up to date setup without the audio issues?

To be honest, I'm not sure. I followed the steps as shown in Micro Mart on a new Pandora, just the 600MHZ ones and I don't get clicking. I'm sorry, I don't really know enough about Linux, or the Pandora to help you any more than what I learnt from the magazine article.

I'll remove it today, and re-add it and see if it makes that noise you talk of.

Eric.

Thanks, it'd be really intriguing to find out what's up. Any other users of recent units who never tried Fuse (it's simple, doesn't need any additional files or anything) who could report whether it works without audio problems for them, please speak up !

BTW, regarding being unable to use the menu when machine is set to 128k model, go to:

F1 (menu) Options - Joysticks - and set keyboard to 'None' should fix that!

I deleted the attachments, I didn't want to get into trouble with Micro Mart

Err, I can still see them. Edit : They're gone now.

+1 for micro Mart being a good read, I'll be picking up a copy to show support for their support of the Pandora.

@ The Micro Mart guys : Don't be shy, introduce yourselves, I'm sure there would be loads of people here more than happy to help with any future articles related to the Pandora.

Hello all,

I'm David Hayward. I'm the bloke who wrote the article. I'm glad you liked it, and I certainly hope it did the Pandora team and users proud. As I hoped to get across in the article, and others that I've done, the Pandora is a great bit of kit, and with more support it can only get better.

As for the clicking in Fuse, yeah I get that too, really annoying.

Thanks for a great forum and an equally great device.

Dave.

I went to WHSmiths to grab a copy today and they have the old issue out on release... I bought that anyway to support the nice coverage, and I'll go back and see if they've rotated their stock another day...

As for the clicking in Fuse, yeah I get that too, really annoying.

Any version of the OS up to and including Hotfix 6 Alpha 4 will give a clickless Fuse experience.

Grab the SD Installer and an old firmware rootfs image, and turn a spare SD card into a Spectrum Universe ;)

Hi Dave, as others have said, great article and great to see a bit of printed media attention for Pandora. Hope to see some future Pandora articles in Micro Mart.

Just wondering, have you tried PNDManager it's a truly excellent piece of software for installing / updating PNDs.

!B7fu0rw!Wk~%24(KGrHqIOKkQEzHOg0LzVBM0YLDG1Pg~~_35.JPG

Was a nice article, I purchased two copies of the mag from Sainsbury's ... one copy was on behalf of _wb_ and faeminx :)

I also moved the remaining 2 copies to the front of the shelf.

Good read, nice one.

I liked the article about Super apt-fast as I hadn't heard about it before but it will come in really useful for managing my server setup.

I also like what was said about the older generation not needing special computers. I've been volunteering at AgeUK for just shy of three years, teaching the over 50's how to use computers, and I can attest that they don't need any special equipment to get going what so ever. All they need is a decent tutor, a willingness to learn and one hour a week for 12 weeks, and they wont have a problem with computers for the rest of their lives :)

Thanks a lot guys, the comments really mean a lot.

I haven't tried PNDManager, but I will now! And, if I can produce more Pandora articles, then please rest assured it will get a mention. To be honest (I've just thought of this) Since I also do the Linux News segment, and Pandora is Linux, well... I'm sure you catch my drift :)

@FZERO - I always put the magazine at the front of the shelf in the supermarket. Usually over the top of Web User! :D

@Trip - Yes I totally agree, I have the privilege of being invited to a monthly pub gathering of elders down the local, to discuss all things technical, social, and as the night draws on, wives, money and aliens! When I showed them the 'oldie PC' they were disgusted. As I said in the article, many of them learnt to program via punch cards, and could still teach most of us a thing or two. Out of two of the old boys present, Terry and Del: "Just because a person is old, doesn't mean they are an idiot!", said Terry, "Unless," he continued, "it's Del!" - Got to love those old buggers!

Dave

Back