Pandora Wiki Cleanup in progress

I responded to your PM, then tried to fix the mess, then failed, then requested help.

I can't restore deleted stuff on this page.

It seems to me you undid every edit i did to the main slackware page instead of sorting out the order. Then restoring pages manually, basically what i did in reverse.

What is the "mess"? it was not good (before anything was done), then it was good but needed work (fixing order and such).

I am asking how to sort out the problems, as it was before anything was done even the slackware pages weren't seen.

Last edited by a moderator:
The organisation of my pages was all broken. I tried to undo until it said it was impossible to undo.

Then fortunately, i recovered the original good state.

Now plenty of pages are missing.

For the 999th time today: how to undelete pages please ? I have no access to totally deleted content.

Well it's possible that you can do more things as an admin, because i see no undo.

What i will do is putting every single pages in their normal state, in the 15 August 2013 state.

That helps with nothing and it accomplishes nothing. What was wrong with the sequential order by pageview on one page (albeit some sorting was in need of doing) and a separate pnd compatibility page

"Undeletion will not be performed if it will result in the top page or file revision being partially deleted. In such cases, you must uncheck or unhide the newest deleted revision."

As i said earlier, i won't discuss the way i create my pages.

I work on Slack/Soleil for two years and a half, wrote every single letters on my wiki (apart hmc ones), spent the entire last week preparing the new releases,

and I WANT MY PAGES BACK !!!

OMG, it's not like if i ask you money or anything.

I

want

my

pages

back

Do you understand or do i have to report again ?

I didnt get your report. I propose restoring my last edit, adding pageheaders,

Software projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced usage‏‎

Software projects/OS/Slackware/Build-system

Software projects/OS/Slackware/Advanced usage/Network get started

etc etc

Naming them after the last directory

Then its sectioned and things can be shifted around so that it makes more sense. I didnt do that initially because there were too many pages, also i dont understand the slackware 13-37 page was that a redirect to the main slackware page, or was it the old site that i see various mentions of?

I have a backup of all the info, both in wiki format and plaintext.

Look, i'll try to be simple.

The 15 august, all my pages were in state A.

After your edits, my pages were in state B.

I simply, politely, repetitively ask for my pages to be bring back in state A.

You don't really know what you do when you edit the wiki, don't you ?

I mean you didn't read my structure, saw how it worked, understood why i kept old versions, why setting up Apache is not on the same page than connecting a scanner etc. ?

Hi, who is the admin of the wiki? resp. who is working on it?

Shouldn't we have a customized layout for the wiki that fits the forum style?

I'd like to know more please

You want to know something ? If you have two years of work on a wiki, make a private backup.

gonna_be_good.gif

(Sorry I am late)

I don't think it was a good idea to restructure someone else's pages without asking him beforehand, but overall the wiki is a mess and definitely needs some clean-up, so this _can_ be a good thing (haven't actually looked at the slackware pages in specific).

Especially information for developers often times is scattered all around the place (sometimes duplicated) and there is no coherent structure. Also some content is really old and possible outdated (from the times when the Pandora wasn't even released).

Generally I think individual pages are fine (and often maintained by one or few individuals), but the overall structure is lacking.

I don't actually have enough experience organizing a wiki, so I have no good idea how to tackle this problem, sorry :(

(my 2cents ignoring the above drama)

I understand how it works, and that it doesnt. 30 of those pages werent being seen by anyone.

I know what im doing, i dont know what you are doing, since you dont tell me, but i take it from the editing as ive said already it seems you want to restore state A without realizing it was problematic.  Lets meet at the middle and make it a one page help/man-page like i described above.

büchse

yes, we do have a system now, the idea is to not have nested menus, redundant and info and outdated things. There is also semantic editing in effect to make things more dynamic and help with the aforementioned things, but first a cleanup needs to happen.

I don't think it was a good idea to restructure someone else's pages without asking him beforehand
Indeed, seems very strange to me that someone re-organizes something someone has been working on for a very long time. Good intentions or not. 

Not to mention deletions.

And, meanwhile, users can't access some of my pages.

I did ask if it was ok to do the cleanup. I didnt notice that i didnt say what was going to be done, as i did for the others, so when i was given the go ahead i thought things were clear. The real issue is i cant fix what isnt broken, and being reactionary doesnt fix anything. Trying to stay constructive. Lets move _forwards_ here and either device a system or do the work.

The main page is still the same link for now, so nothing new there. We can do a redirect for that for a while pending a changeover in naming convention since that page is popular.  All the other stuff got shoved into there because it was cluttering up the rest, and ive fixed the other sections that were large for no/little reason.

@comradekingu

how about restoring it to state A so Linux-SWAT can make a backup? before anything else?

Edit:

Why not simply make a lage Pandora Mainpage and branch everyting out?

Like you'd find Slackware under #alternate operating systems on the mainpage which links so the Slackware page and so on (like a Wikipedia does)

Back