PandoraLive and Pyra -> Change of Name ?

Keep in mind that the Pyra isn't just another product, but an entire re-branding. It's a different company, different device, different business practices. It could be very beneficial to move to a Pyra branded website and have a, 'Pandora Support' section on the Pyra site. Then forward inquiries to boards.openpandora.org to the Pyra message boards (and similar forwards for other Pandora sites).

Yes, we're still on 'Pandora' time. Soon it will be 'Pyra' time and the 'Pandora' -should- be a sub-section, not the primary.

So far it seems that there are diverging opinions on the matter. I'm not sure it helps to make a decision :)

One thing which is sure, however, is that I won't have time to work equally on 2 separate blogs should they be separated. That means Pandoralive would have to suffer from the time I spend on the Pyra's blog. 

I think it's to be expected that once you're spending all your internet time updating the Pyra blog/section that Pandora coverage would tail off. Nobody could demand anything more. Of course if someone else wanted to keep the weekly coverage going and write the articles to go up on the site, that'd be a different matter perhaps.

While there are differing opinions in this thread, you should look at which arguments make the most sense to you. You know what this place is like - we can't agree on anything, especially not at the moment, but thankfully we don't need a consensus for this - it's your decision ultimately.

I think that there should be one blog for both of the devices (and any upcoming devices after that). If you do that, though, there would need to be a name-change so that it's no longer specific to one of the devices.

The reason I think they should both be catered for in one blog is that the Pandora community is already small/niche enough. If they are then split up into those that are fine with the Pandy and those that have or want to get the Pyra, it may shrink the community into two smaller camps who may not check out both blogs.

If the audiences were both reading the same blog, one or a few of your posts about the Pyra, also being visible to the satisfied Pandora users, may be enough to convince them to get the successor too.

I just think it would strengthen the community to keep them visiting the same blog for updates and articles on both of the devices. I personally would prefer to have information on both in one bookmarked place instead of two. In that way, the one blog would also be a lot busier since it deals with information on both.

That's my two cents, anyway. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, whatever you do don't call the new blog PyraManiac. You'll have all the arsonists flaming you for spelling their compulsion's name wrong! :p

Well, whatever you do don't call the new blog PyraManiac. You'll have all the arsonists flaming you for spelling their compulsion's name wrong! :p
translation_i_see_what_you_did_there-321463.jpg

Pandoralive is a nice name, I don´t think you will get to trouble as in future, all that pre-order craig relation etc will be long gone/forgotten.

So I think it is fine to keep it the way it is.

In case a change is a must, maybe change it to a name that does not relate to the product at all and keep a second line stating its target, just like what you already have. (ye All That's Worth Telling About the Open Pandora Handheld)

Now what this unrelated name could be is a tricky question. 

Calling it pyra would mean sometime in the forseeable future the naming problem comes up again.  How about fanhelds, to give it a broader prespective, maybe even cover other community driven foss handhelds?

Fanhelds is a good name, I like that. Future-proofing for the successor of Pyra too, further down the line.

It works, plus it has a nice sound to it too I think. Short and sweet. I'd go nab that domain 

You could try giving it a name relating to "DragonBox". Seeing as how any future handhelds by EvilDragon will likely be another "DragonBox" product.

-God Ginrai

You could also check the myths...finding a name that could cover both pandora and pyra, maybe zeus related or something related to the era, like the heroic age.

Maybe that way you could have a proper self name that would encompass both machines, in case you don´t wanna cover the other handhelds.

"When Zeus decided to end the Bronze Age with the great deluge, Deucalion and his wife, Pyrrha, were the only survivors"

Back