Pandoras Little Brother.

DaveC said:
For some reason people gravitate towards Cheap Chinese Crap. It doesn't need to be good, they don't have to have a use for it, but hey it is CHEAP! that is all that seems to matter.

I am not impressed with this, just a dingoo with a keyboard replacing game controls, I wasn't big on the dingoo so ...

Would you be bigger on it if you learned it wasn't Chinese? >_>

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase said:
DaveC said:
For some reason people gravitate towards Cheap Chinese Crap. It doesn't need to be good, they don't have to have a use for it, but hey it is CHEAP! that is all that seems to matter.

I am not impressed with this, just a dingoo with a keyboard replacing game controls, I wasn't big on the dingoo so ...

Would you be bigger on it if you learned it wasn't Chinese? >_>
Not really.

Okay, just checking ;P

Really being "cheap" isn't the gimmick, that's more of a side effect of it being simple and low-risk. The whole copy-left shtick is where it's at. Like I've been saying, it's not even really competitive price-wise, it really can't be by virtue of not being made in China.

The reason I think most people (in this forum) are gravitating toward these crappy little devices is because it looks SIMILAR to the Pandora, Qwerty Keyboard and open source..

People are so desperate to get their Pandora they're going out and buying pieces of crap while they're waiting.. That's my GUESS!

I'm considering buying an N900 (maybe iPhone 3Gs) very soon for the same above reason. I want my damn Pandora and I don't want to wait many more months.

I'm just surprised that they're all popping up now. I wanted a device exactly like the Nanonote way back in 1999 - it would've been a great companion to my laptop of the time, as I did a lot of writing back then. :p

Exophase said:
Alpha2 said:
I wonder if perhaps people arent just downing it based on its specs, knowing what might be possible for a devices of this size but unfortunately missing certain things makes it seem like it's missing several huge opportunities to be a better device.

Why shouldn't people down it based on specs??

Alpha2 said:
+It got a reasonable processor, It should be capable of decent 16 bit emulation maybe early MAME.
- Processor is just "okay" plus it's got a crappy screen that might reduce the effectiveness of what it could play game and movie wise.
+It's small, easily pocketable.
-No game controls, not impossible to play games on but control will be a chore for some games.

Dingoo has essentially the same processor, RAM, LCD, nearly double the battery capacity, gaming controls, and a lower price tag. If you want to play games why get that over this? In fact, why get this over several Chinese offerings..

Alpha2 said:

Right, and what will you be using the keyboard for? Web browsing, texting, whatever is out and it's generally poor for composing anything because the screen is so low resolution. If you still want something like that, ZipIt Z2 has similar specs (in terms of CPU, screen, RAM, and keyboard) and form factor but also has WiFi and costs less than half as much.

Really, people are saying this is cool but I'm just not seeing what's cool about a device that is substantially worse than other devices that have been out for a long time.

I not trying to defend it I'm just saying that's the underlying problem with it. It hits the mark in a lot of ways but ultimately falls hard because of the things I listed, not in spite of them. I havent had much experience with the Dingoo so I wouldnt trash or elevate it either way. It seems a decent simple device for console emulation and maybe light media playback, but maybe people dislike it for it's lack of things that this has like a keyboard which list time I checked can be used for more than just the internet or messaging (Like Prometheus's writing). People like to take notes, maybe its even a fair ebook reader. But at the end of the day the people shooting it down are doing it for reasons that the Dingoo's probably 50x better at.

As I said; They're downing it based on the specs in relation to what they know is possible. Anyone defending it so far probably isn't looking for it to do much and not really looking at the price so much as just thinking it's kinda neat.

Ultimately it is kinda neat but so is the Dingoo... both of which get blown out of the water by the Pandora.

Alpha2 said:
Exophase said:
Alpha2 said:
I wonder if perhaps people arent just downing it based on its specs, knowing what might be possible for a devices of this size but unfortunately missing certain things makes it seem like it's missing several huge opportunities to be a better device.

Why shouldn't people down it based on specs??

Alpha2 said:
+It got a reasonable processor, It should be capable of decent 16 bit emulation maybe early MAME.
- Processor is just "okay" plus it's got a crappy screen that might reduce the effectiveness of what it could play game and movie wise.
+It's small, easily pocketable.
-No game controls, not impossible to play games on but control will be a chore for some games.

Dingoo has essentially the same processor, RAM, LCD, nearly double the battery capacity, gaming controls, and a lower price tag. If you want to play games why get that over this? In fact, why get this over several Chinese offerings..

Alpha2 said:

Right, and what will you be using the keyboard for? Web browsing, texting, whatever is out and it's generally poor for composing anything because the screen is so low resolution. If you still want something like that, ZipIt Z2 has similar specs (in terms of CPU, screen, RAM, and keyboard) and form factor but also has WiFi and costs less than half as much.

Really, people are saying this is cool but I'm just not seeing what's cool about a device that is substantially worse than other devices that have been out for a long time.

I not trying to defend it I'm just saying that's the underlying problem with it. It hits the mark in a lot of ways but ultimately falls hard because of the things I listed, not in spite of them. I havent had much experience with the Dingoo so I wouldnt trash or elevate it either way. It seems a decent simple device for console emulation and maybe light media playback, but maybe people dislike it for it's lack of things that this has like a keyboard which list time I checked can be used for more than just the internet or messaging (Like Prometheus's writing). People like to take notes, maybe its even a fair ebook reader. But at the end of the day the people shooting it down are doing it for reasons that the Dingoo's probably 50x better at.

As I said; They're downing it based on the specs in relation to what they know is possible. Anyone defending it so far probably isn't looking for it to do much and not really looking at the price so much as just thinking it's kinda neat.

Ultimately it is kinda neat but so is the Dingoo... both of which get blown out of the water by the Pandora.

Exactly, that was my point - if the Pandora didn't exist (or will do eventually) I might consider getting one but it does so I'm not interested.

This thing would have potential if it wasn't for the low screen res. 320x240 just doesn't cut it for a device trying to be semi serious in this day and age. I have a palm TH55 that's several years old and that has 480x320. i.e twice the screen size of this little unit (It also has bluetooth and WiFi but that's a seperate issue ;) ) I'd probably have got one of these while waiting for my Pandora if the screen res was better.

WizardStan said:
cixelsyd said:
I think my priorities are indeed that different from yours.
As i sad before i am looking for a device with:Keyboard-wifi-tv out-supporting video and music - having a card-reader A usb host would be nice to but i could do without if it has a card-reader of some sort.
I am willing to pay up-to 200 Euro for a device like this.
The Pandora comes closest to what i am looking for.
It is way more powerful than i need though but with all that extra power and possibilities (gaming) i would be willing to flip out an extra 100Euro just not really more.
I have to draw a line somewhere.
Then again if i find something cheaper less powerful and does the things as i describe above i will go for that.
I do not really need all that power but Pandora is the only thing that does what i want and more what i do not necessarily need.
For 200 EUR, right now, you can get a netbook with keyboard, wifi, and TV out supporting video and music with a card reader, and a USB host, and it's way more powerful than this thing. The only thing this tiny thing at 200 EUR would have over a 200 EUR netbook is that it's small enough to fit in a pocket. If you're willing to pay up to 200 EUR, get the netbook which has everything you want and then some.
It's like you're saying "I like that cupcake, especially since it's only $2, but if it had sprinkles I'd pay $5!" meanwhile there's a full sized cake with sprinkles on it right beside the cupcake for $5. If you want a cake with sprinkles and are willing to pay $5 for it, BY THE FREAKIN' CAKE FOR $5
*explodes*

Well some people say size does matter.In this case i want small.
I already own a Netbook Asus 701 8G and it is great but is still to big for my liking.
Also i am not aware of any tv out on a Netbook it has a VGA out for a monitor (you need VGA supported TV for that, most hotels i stay do not have that).
Most of the hotels where i Stay the TV will only have the connection yellow (TV) red and white(sound stereo)"composite" but do not support VGA.I think this has a lot to do with the fact that older TV sets are 50Hz.
Al in all it comes down on personal needs/likings but if you know a Netbook with TV out please tell me witch one so i ca check it out.
Having said that i start to wonder if Pandora TV out does have composite out for older TV sets.

So i ending up with a question.Does Pandora's composite out support older TV sets (non VGA supported TV)?

Thanks and have a nice day.

hosant said:
WizardStan said:
For 200 EUR, right now, you can get a netbook with keyboard, wifi, and TV out supporting video and music with a card reader, and a USB host, and it's way more powerful than this thing. The only thing this tiny thing at 200 EUR would have over a 200 EUR netbook is that it's small enough to fit in a pocket. If you're willing to pay up to 200 EUR, get the netbook which has everything you want and then some.
It's like you're saying "I like that cupcake, especially since it's only $2, but if it had sprinkles I'd pay $5!" meanwhile there's a full sized cake with sprinkles on it right beside the cupcake for $5. If you want a cake with sprinkles and are willing to pay $5 for it, BY THE FREAKIN' CAKE FOR $5
*explodes*
I have a small EEE PC 701 that I no longer use much since I don't want to carry around a bag.
Same here and when i do i do not want it to fill up with something that could be smaller.

OrR said:
Why can some of you not accept that this device has it's niche? It's not a gaming device. It's not a web browsing device. However, there is no device I know of that does what this does: Full keyboard portable Linux with reasonable processing power and basic multimedia for your pocket under 100$. Netbooks are much bigger and more expensive. N900, Pre and Pandora are much more expensive. This will become much more useful in future iterations with a few simple additions (like Wifi, higher res screen) but it is an unusual form factor that is very useful for a few people already. It's certainly not an answer to all our problems, though. You'll have to wait for the Pandoraphone to get that.
+1

I wish it had USB Host capabilities .. it'd make an awesome MIDI workstation/sequencer/patch-librarian .. but since it doesn't have that capability, the Pandora will have to do it instead! :)

Ok i just found the answer on my own question here http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/52524-vga-cables-and-pandora-carry-case/

Prometheus said:
I'm just surprised that they're all popping up now. I wanted a device exactly like the Nanonote way back in 1999 - it would've been a great companion to my laptop of the time, as I did a lot of writing back then. :p

i bought myself an old hp 620 back then for exactly that purpose. if you had a little more change to spare, the jornada 680 would have been your pal. had double the screen resolution of that nanonote back then and a much more usable keyboard.

When I say a device like the Nanonote, I really also mean in that sort of price-range - I was in my mid-teens at that time, and didn't have that much to spare. :lol: At the time, the closest readily-available thing (that I could find in the UK) to that affordability was the Psion Siena, which really wasn't up to the job I'd envisaged for it due to the in-my-experience somewhat fiddly synchronisation software. I ended up getting a refund, unfortunately.

I'm mostly disappointed in the price relative to the CPU and ram they put in it. It looks like it'd only be good for word processing and relatively bad video decoding. And the word processing would be Pretty bad because of the resolution. Could be much less for what this is. Not exactly asking for pandora level CPU but something a bit faster or at lead more ram. 32MB is uselessly small for general purpose use.

It kinda feels like the ipad. A lot of "it has this neat something but it's negated by something else".

what are you guys talking about? it does have a USB host port...

atiti said:
what are you guys talking about? it does have a USB host port...

AFAIKT it doesn't: http://sharism.cc/specs/ "USB 2.0 High-Speed Device"... device not host

If it had more RAM and wifi I'd consider it. USB host would also make it more worthwhile. But I have to agree that currently it's a bit of a misnomer. The Zipit Z2 is also very tempting, though this thing is way prettier at least the Z2 has wifi. I could see it being useful as a pocket diary, scientific calculator, music player type device, but it isn't quite there. I used to use a Psion 5mx, and one of the great things about that was its amazing keyboard and full page-width screen... you could do those kind of things and also get real work done on it. However this device doesn't cut it. (mind you, the keyboard on the pandora looks as though it will disappoint... I wish they had kept the original individual keys design instead of using the keymat). Devices without keyboards drive me nuts.

EdCa22 said:

Man people keep confusing their acronyms...
here's a refresher of the ones I see confused the most:

AFAIK = as far as i know
AFAICT = as far as i can tell
ISTR = i seem to recall
IIRC = if i recall correctly
IANAL = i am not a lawyer
TINLA = this is not legal advice

rabidpoobear said:
EdCa22 said:

Man people keep confusing their acronyms...
here's a refresher of the ones I see confused the most:

AFAIK = as far as i know
AFAICT = as far as i can tell
ISTR = i seem to recall
IIRC = if i recall correctly
IANAL = i am not a lawyer
TINLA = this is not legal advice

Yeah, a typo, it happens. I wasn't confused - it was meant to be a C. I probably started typing AFAIK and decided to write AFAICT instead without realising the mistake.

Acronymn nazi! :/

Back