Pandora's Next Competitor - The Iphone!

chad78

Website
Visit site
http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/08/04...to_iphones.html

The next generation of iPhone appears set to claim exclusive access to advanced graphics core and video decoding technology, thanks to a secret licensing deal between Apple, mobile graphics leader Imagination Technologies, and Samsung, the iPhone's ARM "system on a chip" manufacturer. The result may be an ideal platform for handheld gaming and high definition video playback.

Okay, AireTamStorm, let's get the next spreadsheet started - comparing the Pandora to the iPhone, (be sure to include the "monthly fee" column.) I hope CraigX and co. are making copies of these spreadsheets - they will come in very handy for marketing purposes.

chad78 said:

The next generation of iPhone appears set to claim exclusive access to advanced graphics core and video decoding technology, thanks to a secret licensing deal between Apple, mobile graphics leader Imagination Technologies, and Samsung, the iPhone's ARM "system on a chip" manufacturer. The result may be an ideal platform for handheld gaming and high definition video playback.

Okay, AireTamStorm, let's get the next spreadsheet started - comparing the Pandora to the iPhone, (be sure to include the "monthly fee" column.) I hope CraigX and co. are making copies of these spreadsheets - they will come in very handy for marketing purposes.

1) Well "new graphics core for iphone" a rumor as of now though a rather well-informed rumor.
2) It will likely not be out before 2009. By next-gen people above mean iphone 3 and not the one slated in june/july this year.
3) I am not very familiar with iphone's touch screen. Is there any amount of tactile feedback? If not then I am not sure about how good gaming will be.
4) I think apple will be more interested in video playing capabilities and 3d for UI mostly than gaming capabilities.

Last edited by a moderator:
And i dont think apple would make it Open Source

Will it have gaming controls? Will it be 100% free to write software for, and share it with others? Double no, different device for a different market!

lol. Just remember that the iphone had the greatest mass produced GPU at the time in their previous iPhone... er current.

It will just be usaed for more impressive GUI effects to attract impulse buyers with deep pockets.

The only device that would receive any kind of gaming competition ifrom this device s the Pocket PC market.

On a more serious note, in the not-so-close-cause-i'm-broke-and-don't-have-much-time-but-yet-not-that-far-either future I intend to buy an iPhone and get OpenMoko running on it. After I get myself time and money for a pandora.

The whole premise of the article is based on rampant speculation.

Fact: Samsung has licensed some mobile computing IP and will be working with an un-named company to develop a SoC based on those cores.

Conclusion: Apple is making a new iPhone and it's going to be the world's greatest gaming machine!

I'm not sure how you make the leap from one to the other. The author is assuming that the un-named third party is Apple, that Apple is going to focus heavily on games, and that anybody is going to want to play them. It's possible he's right on the first two counts (certainly not on the third), but if he is it would be by luck alone. There is absolutely no evidence to support such assumptions.

There's making an educated guess, and then there's just making things up.

the iPhone may not be open-source, but it is very Open. Apple just released a free SDK for the iPhone/iTouch. they are actively encouraging developers to jump on board.

i think it is ridiculous to compare the Pandora to the iPhone. the iPhone lacks any controls at all. onscreen controls for an SNES emu is the most retarded thing i have ever attempted.

i have a 32gb ipod touch, and i regret ever thinking that I could enjoy playing games on it.

even using the ScummVM to play Indiana Jones, you will tap the screen 5-10 times before actually hitting the button you intended to click. after owning the iTouch for 3-4 days, I gave up ENTIRELY on attempting to do anything with it other than play MP3s.

having said that, if Apple or a 3rd party would release a plug-in gamepad, or USB converter to allow a USB gamepad, that would change EVERYTHING. I'm not going to go as far as to say that I would reconsider my choice to change over to a Pandora, but I would be damned impressed!

Well, I can't deny that people will buy them, I just know I won't. From my experience, apple products really aren't any better than anything else, they really only have great marketing techniques. People are in love with apple products and really don't know why.

As I'm finding out lately, something about the iPhone is inefficient as all get out. Trying to actually get something you already rendered on the screen takes several ms, turning the 400+MHz ARM11 with DDR SDRAM into something often slower than a 200MHz GP2X.

Prophet said:
The only way I'll ever own a an Apple product is if someone gives me one for free.
Amen to that. And even then, you might own it but not even use it. I was given a iPod shuffle, and it's currently collecting dust on a shelf. I must give it to someone more apple-friendly.

I tried to stay away from the flame, but....

you are all *NUTS!*

I write you on my MacBook - the best computer I have ever owned. Capable of running 5 complete operating systems (OS X, XP, Classic Mac, ReactOS, gOS), at one time - on multiple monitors - with Adobe Creative Suite 3 Photoshop Extended open at the same time - WiFi, USB, BlueTooth, FireWire, DVD Burner, Awesome Webcam, IR Remote, lightweight, and cool looking to boot!

I have never owned - and probably won't - an iPod, (although the Touch came close to switching me - until I got my N800). I don't think everything Apple makes is gold (Apple TV still sucks, IMHO, even with the new software - but I'd love to hack one to run full OS X!)

It's mostly the software, though. OS X is the absolute best desktop operating system ever given to mankind. That does *NOT* mean it's perfect - just the best of what we've got. It's secure, stable, sleek, and smooth. It runs like a champ (I never turn my MacBook off - and I don't put it to sleep either. I just turn off the monitor.) It has (nearly) the commercial support of Windows - the stability and security of Linux - a GUI that is second to NONE - and "It Just Works". iLife is incredible, iWork, too. Even MS Office is better on a Mac (2008 kicks 2007's ass!). Adobe Creative Suite is better on a Mac. Even NeoOffice (native port of OpenOffice.org to Mac) is better than OpenOffice.org for Windows or Linux. And OS X can even run KDE (without Linux). I play kshisen all the time!

No other operating system offers you all the best of all of the other operating systems. You can't run iLife on Windows. You can't run iWork on Linux. But you can run IE 7 on a Mac - and you can run KOffice on a Mac.

Did I pay more for my MacBook than a similiarly equipped Dell or otherwise - maybe, but probably not much more. But even if I paid twice as much - it's worth it, because I get at least 3 computers in one (Windows, Mac, and Linux). And I don't have to worry about my Hackintosh being broken by the next software update - since all my OSes can legally run on the hardware I bought.

Some people get it and some people don't. I helped my ex setup a macbook last year, which was a massive massive pain.

I used to be a bit of a mac guru in highschool in the 90s but macosx is just not a happy GUI for people like me. Bring up the terminal and use that. Pretend it's linux on a 286. I guess there are lots of things you can do with a Mac that is wasn't made to do, but I'd rather just do that on a PC which has no concerns about being tinkered with.

Anyway, she loves it which is what matters.

chad78 said:

Just chalk it onto the current spreadsheets- no need for a ton of redundant information. Eventually I'd like to consolidate the EEE vs Pandora sheet into the handheld comparison and rename it to something like "Ultra-Mobile Device Comparison". For now just add a column in the EEE thread's sheet and put a link to it here. We should probably just rename the thread to something similar as well, don't need a million comparisons- a consolidated resource with a broad range of devices is what we need. If it takes off we'll request it be thrown up on the wiki.

I still think this side-by-side comparison just plain won't work because the two devices are NOT in the same league-- new people will see that, think the EEE is just better, and not read/give credit to the "size" part at all. The EEE is a *ultra-mobile computer*. The Pandora is a *handheld*. Notice the part that says you can HOLD it in your HAND :p

Mostly everyone couldn't imagine the Pandora's size right until we got the girl and laptop-EEE-Pandora pictures. At least get that second one (or a special render with just the EEE and Pandora) attached to the comparison.

An iPhone comparison *could* work though, of course the Pandora has no Phone capablities, but considering the "iTouch" part of it and Apple wanting games, that could be a good idea.

impreziv said:
the iPhone may not be open-source, but it is very Open. Apple just released a free SDK for the iPhone/iTouch. they are actively encouraging developers to jump on board.
Not open, cracked. The SDK comes with a slew of things that you are not allowed to develop and you need a Mac to do even that. The only thing Open about the iPhone is Jailbreak.

Trying to actually get something you already rendered on the screen takes several ms, turning the 400+MHz ARM11 with DDR SDRAM into something often slower than a 200MHz GP2X.

The iPhone chip is 600+ MHz. At least, so says Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2007/07/01/iphone-...und-620mhz-arm/

Seriosly,why are these comparisons being made at all?

Apple are gonna do something somewhere at some time with somebody that may mean games on their overpriced mp3 player disguised as a phone. Oh no! Better compare these completely different, unrelated items!

Eee vs. Pandora was a stupid comparison. And now the Pandora vs. Iphone. First Pandora vs. a (tiny) laptop computer. Now Pandora vs a freakin mobile phone? Thats retarded. Whats next?

Certain calculators have games on them. Better compare them. It might mean competition! People might buy them instead of Pandora so they can play games between solving difficult math problems! Show them whats a better bit of hardware we must.

This is a stupid exercise. And I feel a little silly spending time pointing that out, but there you go.

Back