Pandora's Next Competitor - The Iphone!

Gruso said:
Pandora has first dibs on my funds of course. Once that lands, maybe I'll sell my '2X to help fund an iControl'd iPhone.
Yeah but remember iphone still has no stereo sound other than headphones, the screen is a weird resolution and aspect (for emulators) so everything must be fractionally scaled and stretched. It may be worth keeping the GP2X for emus only.

Last edited by a moderator:
icurafu said:
Gruso, you forgot the 50% penalty for living in a country with low demand for gadgets. That'll be about $300 for that 24 month contract. ;)
Indeed. The land down under, where geeks get plundered.

DaveC - good points, particularly on the screen. Half the joy of the '2X is its delicious display.

PoisonedV said:
chad, just stop stirring up shit- its easy to come to the conclusion that it's not relevant to this forum and doesn't matter.
it should be moved, if not locked.
I agree.

Why are we talking about an iPhone on the Pandora forum? People who want the new iPhone will get one. People who want a Pandora will get one. People who want both will get both. They are VERY different, and I don't see how this continued discussion is relevant here.

chad78 said:
Well... There is now.]

That's not the iPhone 2 you claimed would be out at all. It's an iPhone with 3G. That 3G is the only thing "twice as fast" about it. The CPU/GPU is still not going to be competitive with OMAP3530.

chad78 said:
And there are games.

Or one game anyway, a franchise that has been ported all over the place.

chad78 said:
And the iPhone is only $199 now, (or it will be on July 11, when the 3G model ships.)

This has actually been a little unclear to me (I'm getting at this site through a proxy now and for some reason that link won't work in it so I can't see it just now). Is that $199 after with a cell plan's subsidizing it? Or can you get $199 just by itself?

EDIT: Oops, I wrote this before all the replies came in and got sidetracked and didn't press submit for a while. Guess my question was answered.

Prophet said:
PoisonedV said:
chad, just stop stirring up shit- its easy to come to the conclusion that it's not relevant to this forum and doesn't matter.
it should be moved, if not locked.
I agree.

Why are we talking about an iPhone on the Pandora forum? People who want the new iPhone will get one. People who want a Pandora will get one. People who want both will get both. They are VERY different, and I don't see how this continued discussion is relevant here.

Actually, I agree too now. The start of the thread was relevant, but it seems to have turned from a comparisson between Pandora and iPhone to a discussion on the merits of the new model, which is, I think, most definitely off topic.

Moved to other consoles :)

Now that this thread is in its proper forum, regarding the new iPhone itself...

Nice. At $199 it's sweet potatoes. It will be a HUGE MONSTER hit for Apple, no doubt.

But as someone who uses his cell phone very rarely, and can't really justfify the expense of the service plans, it just doesn't make sense for my lifestyle. Maybe in the future, but I doubt it. I'm not a phone person.

For games... I already have a DS Lite & PSP (and others), both offering much better games than iPhone will ever have. And Pandora will wipe the floor with iPhone for emulators, which is mainly what I play anyway.

Having said that, for phone oriented people who can justify the service costs, I can completely understand the appeal. It's certainly slick looking. And the price is right.

Phone capabilities in a media player is shit. It isn't needed and in the end it just costs you more money. I don't understand why certain people think a 'everything in one' device is the epitome of all devices. I already have a phone and most likely do many others, so why fork out for a product that a) Already contains something I have B) it makes the device more costly for something I don't need. I don't even need the camera/nor want it. That is why I will enjoy the Pandora. It gives me everything I don't have and doesn't give me things I already have.

That said, I know people want these devices. I just can't understand buying a device that already contains several functionalities that a current device of a persons already has.

Besides my strange rant. I don't see how the iPhone and Pandora are competitors, one only has to look at the demographic that would purchase the iPhone and te demographic that would purchase a Pandora, complete opposites. Plus they both offer different things, one aims for an all round device, the other is open source UMPC/gaming device. They have there similarities, but not on the level of being competitors.

I also think the comparing shit needs to stop. Stop being so obsessed with it, just accept the other technology and look back on the reason why you like the Pandora. Please, STOP COMAPRING.

The iphone is a joke. If you call that $200, why, I can get better phones for free. The contract fees are ludicrous, as are the lock-ins to rubbish phone networks (o2 in the UK - nobody is on o2 fgs).

In Australia the fees are goign to be rediculous no doubt. We can't even get wireless broadband very cheap, 5 GB at 40 bucks. My parents pay 40 bucks for 15 GB at 150kb/s.

chad78 said:
I tried to stay away from the flame, but....

you are all *NUTS!*

I write you on my MacBook - the best computer I have ever owned. Capable of running 5 complete operating systems (OS X, XP, Classic Mac, ReactOS, gOS), at one time - on multiple monitors - with Adobe Creative Suite 3 Photoshop Extended open at the same time - WiFi, USB, BlueTooth, FireWire, DVD Burner, Awesome Webcam, IR Remote, lightweight, and cool looking to boot!

I have never owned - and probably won't - an iPod, (although the Touch came close to switching me - until I got my N800). I don't think everything Apple makes is gold (Apple TV still sucks, IMHO, even with the new software - but I'd love to hack one to run full OS X!)

It's mostly the software, though. OS X is the absolute best desktop operating system ever given to mankind. That does *NOT* mean it's perfect - just the best of what we've got. It's secure, stable, sleek, and smooth. It runs like a champ (I never turn my MacBook off - and I don't put it to sleep either. I just turn off the monitor.) It has (nearly) the commercial support of Windows - the stability and security of Linux - a GUI that is second to NONE - and "It Just Works". iLife is incredible, iWork, too. Even MS Office is better on a Mac (2008 kicks 2007's ass!). Adobe Creative Suite is better on a Mac. Even NeoOffice (native port of OpenOffice.org to Mac) is better than OpenOffice.org for Windows or Linux. And OS X can even run KDE (without Linux). I play kshisen all the time!

No other operating system offers you all the best of all of the other operating systems. You can't run iLife on Windows. You can't run iWork on Linux. But you can run IE 7 on a Mac - and you can run KOffice on a Mac.

Did I pay more for my MacBook than a similiarly equipped Dell or otherwise - maybe, but probably not much more. But even if I paid twice as much - it's worth it, because I get at least 3 computers in one (Windows, Mac, and Linux). And I don't have to worry about my Hackintosh being broken by the next software update - since all my OSes can legally run on the hardware I bought.
I love windows xp and ubuntu and I probably paid way less for my notebook. ($300 open box acer with Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 200GB Harddrive, 15.4" Screen, Battery, Charger) But I guess we're both happy :)

Back