Pandoras Operating System

zRichi

Hi I know the pand is gonna have an OS based on Angstrom.

Can anyone tell me if you are planning to release a version with incredibly simple functionality. I have no desire to wait for a full OS to boot up when I'm wanting to boot onto Quake or Nexuiz (hoping that'll get ported) whilst on the crapper.

Short and tall...is there going to be an OS version where it boots straight up with an option to boot applications.

From what the video looks like (it's been edited around 1:22) it's going to take 1 minute plus to boot.

All I want out of this is the simplest of simple GUI's to boot into games. I'm going to use this for games and that's it....I don't want to edit pictures/go on msn/anything that everyone else wants it to do(from some posts it sounds like they want it to cook/clean and wipe their ass).

Great job on this project so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been answered many times before. The Pandora is designed to stay on, in a lowpower sleep mode, which means most of the time it'll turn on instantly, and be exactly where you left off. You'd probably only ever need to actually reboot it if you've updated the OS

First of all, I'm going to move this from GP2X to the Pandora forum.

Right. Now we are in the current forum, I shall continue :)

What you are looking at is a development version of the OS. The final production version will bootup faster.
Secondly, as benjymous says, most of the time there will be no need to "bootup". The device will be in either standby or hibernation mode from last time, so it'll typically take a few seconds (if that) to wake up and be ready for use.

I must ask however, if you have time to play games whilst on the crapper, how long are you in there for?! I just walk in, do my business, and then walk out. Takes about 3 minutes.

Here's a nice little relevant quote from Chip:

'Chip' said:
The OS is still being tweaked, so the boot time could change a bit one way or the other before everything is finished, but it will be roughly what you saw in the videos.

Boot time is pretty much irrelevant though, as you will hardly ever turn it off, and will therefore hardly ever need to boot up. The Pandora will last for a couple months in Suspend to RAM mode, and essentially forever in suspend to disk mode. You'll only ever have to do a full reboot after major OS upgrades.

'borgqueenx' said:
Angstrom? no x11 or ubuntu?
Angstrom's what's built-in, as I'm sure you know. :p That said, the next release of Ubuntu (and its variants) should support the OMAP3 hardware (though whether it'll be ok with the Pandora's wireless gear, I have no idea - I don't think that's part of the SoC, is it? Or am I mistaken?), so there shouldn't be anything preventing you from installing that to an SDHC Card and running that if you wish. :p

There's also going to be a port of Gentoo.

'Prometheus' said:
...the next release of Ubuntu (and its variants) should support the OMAP3 hardware (though whether it'll be ok with the Pandora's wireless gear, I have no idea
Panduntu?

Izolo said:
There's also going to be a port of Gentoo.
This pleases me. I've always known that when I get my Pandora that I was going to be wanting my own customized builds on it. A proper gentoo port with support for the Pandora hardware is going to make this much more fun :)

I must ask however, if you have time to play games whilst on the crapper, how long are you in there for?! I just walk in, do my business, and then walk out. Takes about 3 minutes.

Haha, I wonder exactly the same thing...

'Squidge' said:
colon's arent all created equal. :ph34r:

'Alpha2' said:
'Squidge' said:
colon's arent all created equal. :ph34r:

Perhaps you need more fiber in your diet.

Whoever said "no x11 or ubuntu" has no clue how things work :)

X11 is not an OS; ubuntu is a distribution, just as Angstrom is.

Distributions have default and optional packages; you can run Ubuntu without X11, or Angstrom with.

Both Ubuntu and Angstrom generally include a full X11 desktop as the norm.

Pandora of course is based on X11 normally, but you can of course do as you like; we'll almost certainly release the Angstrom 'recipe' so others can build the full distribution if they want, or alter it, but of course..

You could just run Ubuntu (if you want bloated), or somethign really minimal, if you don't.

ITs open, do as you see fit, and people will :) How much do you bet there will be 5 distributions after 1 month?

jeff

You think it'll take as long as one month, skeezix? :lol:

I want to see GoboLinux ported, but given its difficulty in even moving to x64 and its abysmal lack of supporters, I'm not sure it will happen.

'lulzfish' said:
I want to see GoboLinux ported, but given its difficulty in even moving to x64 and its abysmal lack of supporters, I'm not sure it will happen.
After reading your post and having a look at the gobolinux web site, I quite agree... Imagine gobo with nextstep and woilla fully opensource OS X ;)

Point being that the sky's the limit, If we want it why don't we create it?

Owen.

'skeezix' said:
Whoever said "no x11 or ubuntu" has no clue how things work :)

X11 is not an OS; ubuntu is a distribution, just as Angstrom is.

Distributions have default and optional packages; you can run Ubuntu without X11, or Angstrom with.

Both Ubuntu and Angstrom generally include a full X11 desktop as the norm.

Pandora of course is based on X11 normally, but you can of course do as you like; we'll almost certainly release the Angstrom 'recipe' so others can build the full distribution if they want, or alter it, but of course..

You could just run Ubuntu (if you want bloated), or somethign really minimal, if you don't.

ITs open, do as you see fit, and people will :) How much do you bet there will be 5 distributions after 1 month?

jeff
these forums got even more technical talk that i can understand and im used to:p
but i think i understand. im glad it will get something that looks like x11. i'd love to have a nice desktop on the pandora. and not a limited menu like the psp xmb. not to talk about the ds.

X11 is the standard base for anything graphical, it's pretty much a requirement for the Pandora.
The difference is that Ubuntu uses heavier desktop environments like GNOME and KDE. The Pandora won't have as much eye candy, but it will still have the same basic layout.

Back