Pandoras Operating System

'Squidge' said:
I must ask however, if you have time to play games whilst on the crapper, how long are you in there for?! I just walk in, do my business, and then walk out. Takes about 3 minutes.
:eek: then you have no idea how good it is to use your own emulators/ports in the sacred place!
the feeling of beating (yes, >3min) your favorite games once again is priceless :p

Last edited by a moderator:
is it possible to extend the os system of the pandora, without having trouble with released homebrew apps, emulators and games?
becouse id like something like this:
CODE
http://itpencil.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/nested-kde-x11-xephyr.png

Does Angstrom support Debian Packager? Anyways....

What desktop environment available for Angstrom as minimal requirements? XFCE? Just curious, Im not that much interested in the desktop... Perhaps a port of Xubuntu would be soon :p

'skeezix' said:
Whoever said "no x11 or ubuntu" has no clue how things work :)

X11 is not an OS; ubuntu is a distribution, just as Angstrom is.

Distributions have default and optional packages; you can run Ubuntu without X11, or Angstrom with.

Both Ubuntu and Angstrom generally include a full X11 desktop as the norm.

Pandora of course is based on X11 normally, but you can of course do as you like; well almost certainly release the Angstrom recipe so others can build the full distribution if they want, or alter it, but of course..

You could just run Ubuntu (if you want bloated), or somethign really minimal, if you dont.

ITs open, do as you see fit, and people will :) How much do you bet there will be 5 distributions after 1 month?

jeff
So youre saying OpenSUSE, Ubuntu, Fedora, Arch Linux and Gentoo after a month is possible..... :blink:

'borgqueenx' said:
is it possible to extend the os system of the pandora, without having trouble with released homebrew apps, emulators and games?
Yeah, you should be able to install alternate window managers and such stuff pretty easily. I think Angstrom is Debian-based, so it's compatible with the Debian ARM packages [forget which endianness it is, though]

'borgqueenx' said:
CODE
That's a graphical login to an X server embedded in a window, right? Like VNC?
The Pandora will be capable of that, but I have no idea how that relates to extending the OS. Xephyr is just another program.
edit: Wait, that's an X server running in a window?
I really don't understand what you're getting at here.

lol there's a YouTube video of Xubuntu on the Pandora already.
XFCE is pretty much smallest full desktop environment, the Pandora can run it, but it's shipping with Matchbox and possibly Enlightenment.

I'd try KDE4 on mine just to see what happens.

'lulzfish' said:
XFCE is pretty much smallest full desktop environment, the Pandora can run it, but it's shipping with Matchbox and possibly Enlightenment.

E17 rocks; I can't imagine the need for anything else for this kind of device, aside from issues of personal preference.

It would be awesome to have KDE4 so I can show off, but XFCE ftw

EDIT: Link for XFCE?

'Raz' said:
It would be awesome to have KDE4 so I can show off, but XFCE ftw

EDIT: Link for XFCE?
CODE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47F87FeLV8

According to `free`, this was one of the old 128MB models, and it only has 10MB free when running xfce.

So Xubuntu should run pretty well with 256, and KDE4 should at least load.

I'd take performance over something that turns you on anyday.. So Ubuntu has already been ported?

EDIT: Is this available for DL? Or can I just use XFCE with Angstrom instead of booting up another OS

Yeah, I don't think KDE is very practical [on such a small system with a 800 by 480 screen], I'd just use it as eye candy.
Yes, there's been an ARM port of Ubuntu since.. a while ago, I guess. No idea how it happened, but there it is.

Oh, I remember how it happened: The BeagleBoard occurred. That was probably it.

ok.... but my q of XFCE on Angstrom still remains.. I'd rather not boot up another OS until I'm comfortable with my Panny as much as my PC

Oh, you meant xfce on Angstrom.
Sorry, wasn't paying attention.
Well, Angstrom is supposed to be compatible with Debian ARM packages, and I suspect that if Ubuntu has xfce on ARM, it's entirely possible for Angstrom to do so as well.

'lulzfish' said:
Oh, you meant xfce on Angstrom.
Sorry, wasn't paying attention.
Well, Angstrom is supposed to be compatible with Debian ARM packages, and I suspect that if Ubuntu has xfce on ARM, it's entirely possible for Angstrom to do so as well.
Angstrom already has gnome and Xfce; you don't need anything from Debian ARM to run either DE.

'lulzfish' said:
I want to see GoboLinux ported, but given its difficulty in even moving to x64 and its abysmal lack of supporters, I'm not sure it will happen.
Hey luzfish, I was just looking around on the Gobo web site and it seems there is already an ARM port... So it shouldn't be too difficult :)

'owenshadbolt' said:
'lulzfish' said:
I want to see GoboLinux ported, but given its difficulty in even moving to x64 and its abysmal lack of supporters, I''m not sure it will happen.
Hey luzfish, I was just looking around on the Gobo web site and it seems there is already an ARM port... So it shouldn't be too difficult :)

http://gobo.kundor.org/wiki/GoboLinux_Embe...ux_for_ARM_CPUs

You're totally right, there IS an ARM version of GoboLinux.
And the Pandora is "unbrickable".

>8D

'PhonicUK' said:
Izolo said:
There's also going to be a port of Gentoo.
This pleases me. I've always known that when I get my Pandora that I was going to be wanting my own customized builds on it. A proper gentoo port with support for the Pandora hardware is going to make this much more fun :)
It is also possible to cross-build a customized image of Angstrom using OpenEmbedded, and it's even more fun than gentoo :)

'borgqueenx' said:
these forums got even more technical talk that i can understand and im used to:p
but i think i understand. im glad it will get something that looks like x11. i'd love to have a nice desktop on the pandora. and not a limited menu like the psp xmb. not to talk about the ds.
actually, x11 manages just "painting on the screen", the nice desktop comes from a window manager / desktop environment, which will probably be matchbox by default (simple and PDA-friendly), but others will be available, from e17 (as seen on various videos) to probably full kde4, sooner or later.

'lulzfish' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
Yeah, you should be able to install alternate window managers and such stuff pretty easily. I think Angstrom is Debian-based, so it's compatible with the Debian ARM packages [forget which endianness it is, though]

no, Angstrom is somewhat debian inspired and some deb packages may be converted to Angstrom ipks, but they are not always compatible, except in trivial cases.

There is a debian version that will work on the pandora, however.

'lulzfish' said:
'borgqueenx' said:
CODE
That's a graphical login to an X server embedded in a window, right? Like VNC?
The Pandora will be capable of that, but I have no idea how that relates to extending the OS. Xephyr is just another program.
edit: Wait, that's an X server running in a window?
I really don't understand what you're getting at here.

yes, xephir is an X server running in a window; it is useful for developement, but I don't understand how it should be used on pandora either.

'lulzfish' said:

while XFCE is pretty light as a desktop environment, there are loads of window manager that are way lighter than it, and will also give less screen clutter.

'valhalla' said:
while XFCE is pretty light as a desktop environment, there are loads of window manager that are way lighter than it, and will also give less screen clutter.
explain

Ever tried LXDE with Openbox?

Now that's lightwight. The knoppix distro uses it as standart to avoid long boottimes. There also simultanious working bootscripts to do so. Maybe this would be a speedup for the Pandora boot. But I don't know if it is for multicore processors only.

Also lighter than XFCE: JoeWM, IceWM, Fluxbox...

Back