PanMAME Betatesting

Is there any way to disable sounds in the menu?

If I turn the sound down in the menu I then have to turn the sound back up again when I launch a game.

Those options are in /appdata/panmame/.advance/advmenu.rc

Change lines that start with "sound_" and end with "default" to end with "none"

for example 'sound_foreground_start none' disables the sound that plays when a game is started.

See: http://advancemame.s...menu.html#5.3.5

The colors can also be changed in this file.

http://advancemame.s...enu.html#5.5.11

I've disabled the sound but can't find which command controls the colour of the cursor.

All I want to do is make the in-game menu cursor stand out more, by either changing the cursor colour, making the menu less transparent or both if possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

If I turn the sound down in the menu I then have to turn the sound back up again when I launch a game.

for example 'sound_foreground_start none' disables the sound that plays when a game is started.

I've disabled the sound but can't find which command controls the colour of the cursor.

All I want to do is make the in-game menu cursor stand out more, by either changing the cursor colour, making the menu less transparent or both if possible.

For in game, edit the advmame.rc, not advmenu.rc.

New version on repo.

0.106.1.5:

- This has a splashscreen again.

- Enter button for menunavigation restored

- some minor tweaks (nothing performancerelevant)

Edit: As this seems to be quite solid now, I'll do some more stuff for the next release.

todo:

- Make screenshots

- Write documentation

- integrate 3:4 aspectoption

- Try to integrate dk2

- What you tell me

An Aspect Ratio Idea

Hi mcobit,

Thanks again for this release. The menu makes MAME a lot better.

I noticed that when scaling it sets everything to 640x480 for the 4:3 (1.33) aspect ratio.

The problem is not all arcade games are 4:3 aspect ratio.

I noticed that the front end (through AdvancedMAME.xml?) knows the correct resolution of each game.

Could your setup be made to use the actual resolution to calculate and choose the closest Pandora resolution?

I think the formulas would be:

Where width/height <= 1.667 use:

(width/height)*480=new_width [convert float to int]

Set Pandora’s resolution SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE = new_with x 480

Launch game

OR

Where width/height > 1.667 use:

800/(with/height)=new_height [convert float to int]

Set Pandora’s resolution SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE = 800 x new_height

Launch game

This should maximize the games size while maintaining a close to correct aspect ratio.

The formulas should work on vertical games as well.

What do you think? How do you set the resolution now? Is something like this possible?

Thanks again!!!

That is actually a very good idea and I will implement that!

Thanks, now I just need some time...

Right now it just checks for the 4:3 flag before initializing video and sets it to 640x480, if it is true.

But your version should be easy enough to do.

New version on repo.

0.106.1.5:

- This has a splashscreen again.

- Enter button for menunavigation restored

- some minor tweaks (nothing performancerelevant)

Edit: As this seems to be quite solid now, I'll do some more stuff for the next release.

todo:

- Make screenshots

- Write documentation

- integrate 3:4 aspectoption

- Try to integrate dk2

- What you tell me

An Aspect Ratio Idea

Hi mcobit,

Thanks again for this release. The menu makes MAME a lot better.

I noticed that when scaling it sets everything to 640x480 for the 4:3 (1.33) aspect ratio.

The problem is not all arcade games are 4:3 aspect ratio.

I noticed that the front end (through AdvancedMAME.xml?) knows the correct resolution of each game.

Could your setup be made to use the actual resolution to calculate and choose the closest Pandora resolution?

I think the formulas would be:

Where width/height <= 1.667 use:

(width/height)*480=new_width [convert float to int]

Set Pandora’s resolution SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE = new_with x 480

Launch game

OR

Where width/height > 1.667 use:

800/(with/height)=new_height [convert float to int]

Set Pandora’s resolution SDL_OMAP_LAYER_SIZE = 800 x new_height

Launch game

This should maximize the games size while maintaining a close to correct aspect ratio.

The formulas should work on vertical games as well.

What do you think? How do you set the resolution now? Is something like this possible?

Thanks again!!!

That is actually a very good idea and I will implement that!

Thanks, now I just need some time...

Right now it just checks for the 4:3 flag before initializing video and sets it to 640x480, if it is true.

But your version should be easy enough to do.
pity the video files cant go on another card my16gb card is full so no previews

Is there an easy way to add another rom directory to this? I'd like to try out my mame4all romset on this without needing to copy all the files between directories. :)

(null)

pity the video files cant go on another card my16gb card is full so no previews

You can simply change the path to the snaps in the advmenu.rc in appdatat/panmame/.advance/ file to point to your other card.

Is there an easy way to add another rom directory to this? I'd like to try out my mame4all romset on this without needing to copy all the files between directories. :)

(null)

Yes, change the path to the romfiles in the advmenu.rc file in appdatat/panmame/.advance/ to point to your old romdirectory.

For in game, edit the advmame.rc, not advmenu.rc.

Excellent thank you, I can't change the cursor colour but I did remove the transparency so the menu is easier to read.

I also enabled the cheat option but it's not recognising the .dat file.

Did some experimenting this morning with menu colors and think I finally got something pretty good. Tried to upload a screenshot and the files but don't think I have upload permissions. Anyone interested in a green/black theme, just cut and paste the following over the same lines in advmenu.rc and advmame.rc. Please note that advmenu.rc has two places that you need to copy over these lines and advmame.rc has one place.

advmenu.rc

ui_color help ffffff 000000

ui_color help_tag 00ff00 000000

ui_color submenu_bar 00ff00 000000

ui_color submenu_item ffffff 000000

ui_color submenu_item_select 808080 ffffff

ui_color submenu_hidden ffffff 000000

ui_color submenu_hidden_select 000000 808080

ui_color menu_item ffffff 000000

ui_color menu_hidden 808080 000000

ui_color menu_tag 00ff00 000000

ui_color menu_item_select 000000 00ff00

ui_color menu_hidden_select 808080 00ff00

ui_color menu_tag_select ffffff 00ff00

ui_color bar ffffff 000000

ui_color bar_tag 00ff00 000000

ui_color bar_hidden 808080 000000

ui_color grid 00ff00 000000

ui_color backdrop 000000 808080

ui_color icon ffffff 000000

ui_color cursor ffffff 000000

advmame.rc

ui_color[help_other] 000000 808080

ui_color[help_p1] ffffff 00ff00

ui_color[help_p2] ffffff 00ff00

ui_color[help_p3] ffffff 00ff00

ui_color[help_p4] ffffff 00ff00

ui_color[interface] ffffff 000000

ui_color[select] 000000 00ff00

ui_color[tag] 00ff00 000000

Also, big thanks to mcobit for this great emulator!

Cool, will try when I get home again.

Also thanks to the big Help from Ivanovic, I got aspect correct scaling in.

Now I will tweak some more stuff and release maybe tomorrow or on monday.

For everyone, who tries to get the cheat.dat running:

I read somewhere, that you need to put it in the same directory as the executable.

In this case, create a folder called bin in the appdata and copy the file there.

Also activate cheats in the advmame.rc file.

Another great emu mcobit, you are a machine(Daphne is still Awesome). This is Mame done right.

Mame4All has been my go to arcade emaulator since SteveM took it under his wing, it made it shine.

I'm really liking PanMame, but I was wondering, what does this offer over Mame4All? My SD cards are packed to the brim, so if PanMame runs everything that M4A can and then some, I'll see about removing that one and use that space for my Panmame rom set. But if they both offer differant compatibility, maybe I'll just have to look in to some bigger cards. ;)

Chris

Thanks!

PanMAME features mame 0.106 which has more playable games, than mame4all. Of course it can be slower for some older ones, but should run them fine, too.

Mame4all is based on Mame 0.47 afaik.

Ok, new version on repo.

0.106.1.6:

- Scales everything to correct aspect ratio, if the Aspect option is set to yes (default). If you want fullscreen, change it to no, save for this game and restart the game. Thanks again to Ivanovic for his great help! And thanks to dgame for the great idea!

- PND has screenshots

- no need to delete anything for this update :)

Another great emu mcobit, you are a machine(Daphne is still Awesome). This is Mame done right.

Mame4All has been my go to arcade emaulator since SteveM took it under his wing, it made it shine.

I'm really liking PanMame, but I was wondering, what does this offer over Mame4All? My SD cards are packed to the brim, so if PanMame runs everything that M4A can and then some, I'll see about removing that one and use that space for my Panmame rom set. But if they both offer differant compatibility, maybe I'll just have to look in to some bigger cards. ;)

Chris
God help you m8 mame4all is 1.9 gb panmame is over 14gig

Chris
God help you m8 mame4all is 1.9 gb panmame is over 14gig
Most of that 14gigs is CHD files right? And those don't run do they? I've just got the basic 106 games(around 2gigs) that don't use the HD files.

Chris

Chd works, if you put them in the imagefolder in a directory named like the rom.

Well, stuff like KIller Instinct runs too slow, but maybe some other chd games will run.

I think more recent mame would make no sense, as not all games are playable in 0.106, because they are too slow. so which roms should be compatible?

CPS3 and later is what fba is for. Mame won't play them at a good speed on pandora.

Back