Panorama

dflem -- well, technically, as the author you can do what you want; you can license it one wy, and then do somethign else with it. ITs everyone else who has to honour the license (until such time as yo accept 1 line of code from someone else, anyway :)

jeff

any updates on Panorama? or is the next test/step reliant upon the release of the Pandora?

aesir911 said:
any updates on Panorama? or is the next test/step reliant upon the release of the Pandora?
Well, I've made some repository layout changes and basically rewritten pandora-libraries from scratch (not really, I had a script that did this for me), because the primary pandora-libraries repository had a structure that wasn't suitable for qmake-based projects.
I'm now able to cross-compile pandora-libraries and panorama at once, and do uniform optimizations and so on. Result: extremely fast code, and the possibility to use the "old" Qt 4.6 Declarative build.

You'll find the modified repo at http://github.com/dflemstr/pandora-libraries on the "clean" branch.

Everything else I want to do depends on me having a Pandora, yes.

Last edited by a moderator:
dflemstr said:
mindlord said:
Impressive.

I tried to do something very similar to this awhile back, but instead of reinventing the wheel I started by melting aluminum for the hub, and mixing rubber for the tire. I got bogged down in the scripting language, 2D acceleration, and fiddly bits. If course I was trying to do this outside of X, using framebuffer only, so I didn't have a widget library to build off of, but I digress.

You've managed to clobber QT and webkit into something really slick. I like it a lot. How's the memory footprint compared to Pmenu?
PMenu uses 12.2 MiB excluding shared libs, Panorama uses between 8 MiB and 14 MiB (depending on the UI loaded) excluding shared libs.

Including shared libs, well... Qt takes quite a bit of RAM to run (about 5 MiB ideally, but I'll do real measurements soon), but you're using Qt for something else most of the time anyways so it's not a big loss. Also, I have no idea how much memory the OpenGL ES libs take (for PMenu's rendering), so I can't really compare the total memory...

EDIT: I might as well mention CPU usage... PMenu takes 100% CPU all of the time, Panorama uses 1% CPU when something is being animated, 8% CPU when application folders are scanned, and ~0% CPU when everything is static. This is measured on a Pentium 4 3GHz processor.

Another EDIT: May I remind you that Qt runs on the frame buffer, too? Just sayin' :p

Please stop comparing to pmenu, this is not a competition. This is starting to be annoying to me ... do what you want and leave me out of this crap.

Cpasjuste said:
Please stop comparing to pmenu, this is not a competition. This is starting to be annoying to me ... do what you want and leave me out of this crap.
I am sorry that you feel that way, I only did a nominal comparison this once because I was asked to do so. I myself see these two systems as two separate products that will stay just that.

dflemstr said:
Cpasjuste said:
I am sorry that you feel that way, I only did a nominal comparison this once because I was asked to do so. I myself see these two systems as two separate products that will stay just that.

So I'll be running them both on my Panda?

D.

Dunny said:
dflemstr said:
Cpasjuste said:

So I'll be running them both on my Panda?

D.

10 Boot console up into pmenu
20 Launch Panorama from pmenu
30 Launch pmenu from Panorama
40 GOTO 20

No time for playing any games, too busy booting into minimal menus!

Steve

Small update:
The new QtCreator by Trolltech supports "drag and drop editing" of QML files. This means that it becomes incredibly easy to create Panorama themes, since they are nothing but custom QML files.

Video:

Wow, QML is evolving so good (is that proper english? perhaps progressing is a better word?) So many things I'm missing by having that problem that is preventing me from developing Pangea (and the rest of projects I have) :(

might have to jump into this as it looks fantastic.
wonder if something like this is possible with your UI :)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49673-pandora-concept-interface/page__p__757165__fromsearch__1&#entry757165

Trevsweb said:
might have to jump into this as it looks fantastic.
wonder if something like this is possible with your UI :)
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49673-pandora-concept-interface/page__p__757165__fromsearch__1&#entry757165
Some stuff is, some isn't. E.g. there's currently no way of displaying the signal strength of the wifi signal or the battery level. Should be pretty easy to add, though.
And then there's some things that aren't possible at the moment for safety reasons, e.g. an UI doesn't have the right to show a list of running applications (is that what those bottom "tabs" are?) nor to shut down the device.

If you could describe how you'd like that system to work a bit more, then maybe I could create a theme based on it, provided that everything you want to have implemented is possible to implement.

well we can always modify it to use all the great features in your UI :) loving the animations.
i would deffiantly want the flickable app selection in the middle
if i get time over the weekend i'll send you some files to maybe have a play around with. i will sort out the features in my concept that dont work and hopefully replace them with ones that do.

thanks

Trevsweb said:
i will sort out the features in my concept that dont work and hopefully replace them with ones that do.
Don't be afraid to push the limits; I can easily adapt Panorama to have the features you need if you can but list them.

Trevsweb said:
if i get time over the weekend i'll send you some files to maybe have a play around with. i will sort out the features in my concept that dont work and hopefully replace them with ones that do.
I guess you didn't get time at the weekend? :p
Anyways, does anyone have any concepts you want me to make Panorama interfaces out of, just give me a shout! I've got to start working on this again soon...

dflemstr said:
Trevsweb said:
I guess you didn't get time at the weekend? :p
Anyways, does anyone have any concepts you want me to make Panorama interfaces out of, just give me a shout! I've got to start working on this again soon...

craigix's taking up my time (as you can see lol)
i will have some sort of idea with you soon. would really love to have my idea/prototype working as i think this is the best solution to do it with :)

I am still interested in this UI... has anyone got it to work on a pandora yet?

Back