Pc Emulator For Pandora?

Game_over said:
Exophase said:
RHCA said:
Rather than emulation I would make a compatibility layer like wine since the pandora will run Linux, it would make this at least a bit faster if u want 2 run windows apps
Arrgh, how many people are going to suggest this? >_<

Pandora is not x86. You must emulate. Wine is not available for non-x86 platforms.

No worries mate, it's such an easy thing to overlook :lol:. that should probably be your signature line- "For the last time: THE PANDORA IS NOT x86!!!!!"

how does win95 via dosbox work on the gp2x then?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tobriand said:
javaJake said:
liquidphantom said:
I still love the old "my coffee cup holder won't stay out" one. The day I actualy heard that for real and the person being serious I prayed for the day when people would need a license before they could go near a computer
Hmmm, this is one I have yet to hear. What does coffee cup holder refer to?

Edit: I'm a thread hijacker. :blink:

Not sure, but if I were to take a guess, it'd be a CD tray...

I remember when I was in high school (I think), and I was surfing in the computer class. There was some talk about cd drives and such, so I was curious to know how many people really knew what the inner circle in the cd trays were for, so I asked their opinions... Shockingly even the ones I thought should have known, also said: "??? You mean it's NOT a cup holder?" (and some didn't even bother to guess...)
Well, they never really USED it as a cup holder, but they also didn't happen to know about miniCDs back then. To be fair, I've only had maybe 2 miniCDs in my entire life.

On the topic at hand:
I learned only few days ago, that Wine is NOT an emulator. Well okay, I didn't think of it as the sort of emulator Snes9x, Gens, etc are, but the basic functionality principle really surprised me. And thus I've become to respect it a bit more. And I think most Windows users don't know it either, which is probably the reason why it's considered so much more inferior.

And my only hope is that there's good enough port of DosBox, so we can play Liero, God of Thunder, Scorched Earth and whatnot.
Sidenote to DosBox: is it possible to map the Pandora's game controls as some basic Gravis gamepad or something (or has it already been done)? I haven't tried any gamepads with DosBox earlier, because on desktop you don't really need one because the keyboard is better, but with Pandora I'm not so sure... Using keyboard to gaming would require the pandora to be placed on table, not to mention other inconveniences.

Paradox said:
how does win95 via dosbox work on the gp2x then?
I assume thats sarcasm or some other kind of weird sense of wit?

Squidge said:
My PocketPC runs ARM-compiled Windows libraries and programs :p
;)
Yeah so we just have to make sure every load/store will be swapped on the fly when running it on Pandora :p

Laurent said:
Squidge said:
;)
Yeah so we just have to make sure every load/store will be swapped on the fly when running it on Pandora :p

Why would you want to do that? They are both little endian.

Squidge said:
Laurent said:
Squidge said:
;)

Why would you want to do that? They are both little endian.

Really? I thought most Xscale were run in BE mode. I guess I was missled by Xscale network processors being BE for obvious reasons...

The XScale supports both big endian and little endian. Selection is made via coprocessor 15, register 1. Windows CE is available in both big endian and little endian.

Squidge said:
The XScale supports both big endian and little endian. Selection is made via coprocessor 15, register 1. Windows CE is available in both big endian and little endian.
Yes like most recent ARM cores. I meant the way Xscale's are run on devices: Xscale based NAS run in BE (NSLU2 for instance) while WinCE expects LE.

Laurent said:
Squidge said:
Yes like most recent ARM cores. I meant the way Xscale's are run on devices: Xscale based NAS run in BE (NSLU2 for instance) while WinCE expects LE.

So WinCE will run on the Pandora without swapping every load/save, which is exactly what I said several posts ago :blink:

Squidge said:
So WinCE will run on the Pandora without swapping every load/save, which is exactly what I said several posts ago :blink:

Yes I thought I had implicitely ack'ed that, sorry I'll make it clearer next time :p

Squidge said:
Now your just back tracking :p
OK, OK I make here an official announcement:
I was *very* wrong when assuming WinCE Xscale's PDA's were BE.

So we will be able to run WinCE appls out of the box on Pandora.

PS - Wondering if and where I should put a smiley.

i suggest the goal of getting hl1 to run on the Pandora, because of all the awesome mods that would then be easier (?) to port.

What about bochs+stripped down windows 95+starcraft+last patch for no cdrom requirement?

I think a port of bochs is doable. Minimal requirements of Starcraft would fit into. And starcraft in Pandora would be just... just... awesome... :eek:

For me, PC emulation is vital. There's Croc 1 & 2 (though is suppose I get a hold of the psx version), Starcraft, Speedy Eggbert, 3D Frog Frenzy, and heroes of might and magic III. I play one of them every day. I hate having to carry around a heavy laptop (I don't have the money for one of those $1,000 top 'o the line really small pc's) all the time. It'd be awesome if windows 95 emulation was supported. But I suppose from what has been said in this forum, that 95 emulation would be to a dream... I guess I'll just have to keep on lugging that big laptop everywhere I go. :(

arconreef said:
For me, PC emulation is vital. There's Croc 1 & 2 (though is suppose I get a hold of the psx version), Starcraft, Speedy Eggbert, 3D Frog Frenzy, and heroes of might and magic III. I play one of them every day. I hate having to carry around a heavy laptop (I don't have the money for one of those $1,000 top 'o the line really small pc's) all the time. It'd be awesome if windows 95 emulation was supported. But I suppose from what has been said in this forum, that 95 emulation would be to a dream... I guess I'll just have to keep on lugging that big laptop everywhere I go. :(
Buy an eeePC :p

Laurent said:
arconreef said:
Buy an eeePC :p

He's right, you know. If Windows gaming is really that important to you, then you may be better off spending the extra $100 and getting an eeePC. PC emulation on Pandora will never surpass a slow 386. Enough to run old dos games at best.

"Surpass a slow 386"? In terms of emulating a 386 vs. being a 386, sure. But in terms of power, I think the Pandora equates to, if is not better than, a 386.

I'm sure emulation is what you were talking about, but I wanted to clarify so we don't start a rumor. :p

Edit: Clarification totally unnecessary.

Back