Release PCSX ReARMed release thread

great update, definitely quite a bit faster on any of the few games I've thrown at it so far! :) With Neon in this emulator, the maximum I should overclock to is 800MHz, right?

What sort of an effect does changing the clock of the PS1 (not the Pandora) have? And why is it at 57% by default?

In Tobal No.1 I'm getting:

- heavy screen-flickering when using autoframeskip(builtin_gpu)

- No picture(but sound) when using FS1(builtin_gpu)
Frameskip is real hard to do on PSX because of how it's GPU works, just disable it when it causes problems.

great update, definitely quite a bit faster on any of the few games I've thrown at it so far! :) With Neon in this emulator, the maximum I should overclock to is 800MHz, right?
Depends on your CPU, mine can do 800 at OPP3 and a bit over 1GHz at OPP5 with NEON in use.

What sort of an effect does changing the clock of the PS1 (not the Pandora) have? And why is it at 57% by default?
It depends on how the game is coded, increasing that number may increase number of frames the game tries to render and sometimes increase the speed of events that occur ingame. This of course may increase the work emulator has to do and might make it no longer able to keep up.

This used to be hardcoded to 50 (16M instructions/second) but that made some games run slower that the real PSX. I tuned it to 57 by trial and error and it feels closer to the real thing for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most of my games are in bin, img, or iso formats. I was wondering what other formats ReARMed uses, and is there a program I can use to compress my library down, and still be used by ReARMed?

Chris

Most of my games are in bin, img, or iso formats. I was wondering what other formats ReARMed uses, and is there a program I can use to compress my library down, and still be used by ReARMed?

Chris
I believe eboot.PBP files can be used but i've no clue were to find them.

Damn, I really should buy some PSX Games, it seems that I missed some nice gaming experience. I never had a PSX so I can't even test this Emulator correctly. ^^""

There is Diablo 1 for PSX, right? Exaclty what I could need on the Pandora. :)

Notaz: Would the memory changes be applicable at all to mupen64plus?

I looked at what Notaz did here..  basically the way I wrote it originally (for N64) it checks if the memory address is between 0x80000000 and 0x80800000.   If so then it accesses the memory directly (which is fast) otherwise it looks up a function pointer and calls a function (which is slow, but I/O needs to be handled this way).

That works well for N64, but PSX also has memory at 0x1f800000 and bios at 0x1fc00000, plus mirrors of the RAM.  Rather than checking all those regions, Notaz tries to guess which memory region will be accessed and checks that one.  If the guess is incorrect then it checks a look-up table to see if the memory can be directly accessed before calling the memhandler function.

I'm not sure how good the guess is, maybe notaz can comment on that.

Saturn has an even more complex memory map, and I didn't try to anticipate what the address might be, just used a LUT when the address cannot be determined via constant propagation.

Chris

Yes, I have a tutorial in the Tweaks thread.

Chris

Thanks Blue Protoman, it worked like a charm. Very good program and very easy to use. I'm coverting over all my files now so I can free up a little extra space for more games on my card.

You don't happen to have a similar easy method for DAPHNE video converting as well do you? The resolution of those files is to high, and needs to be lowered to run smoothly on the Pandora. There is a script that can be run to convert the files, but I need someting simple like this. I found a program to actually convert the Mpeg's to a lower resolution, but then you need to do something else to the files to get them to run properly with DAPHNE.

I just havn't had the time to try and figure it out, as I have been busy lately. I guess when I get the time, I'll dig that thread up, and try to get that emu running properly, as it is one of my favs. Programs like this, save time and effort for "lame ducks" like myself. :p

Chris

I'm not familiar with Daphne myself, but you can lower the bitrate en masse with WinFF quite easily. Check the thread for more information.

I'm not familiar with Daphne myself, but you can lower the bitrate en masse with WinFF quite easily. Check the thread for more information.
Thanks anyways! Your tutorial on the eboot is rock solid, so I thought I would give a shot to my other problem area. I'm not really sure it's a problem, as I just haven't really put in the time yet to figure it all out. I did get Dapne running, which is the biggest part of the battle(on the PC or otherwise), so hopefully I can convert everything I need to properly over time. Sorry to ask in this thread, so now back on topic.

Chris

I'm not sure how good the guess is, maybe notaz can comment on that.
The hit rate is over 90% in most cases, sometimes 95%+, lowest I've seen was ~86 or something. Before this it was something like ~65% typically, few games had it close to 0 as they run from 000... RAM mirror (weird, I know).

BTW I've noticed you only track constants with register allocation, when they are evicted it's lost, which is a shame. Quite often I see large functions that load a pointer to scratchpad at their start, and access it throughout; but then it's register gets evicted and reloaded shortly, and those accesses can no longer be resolved at compile time.

Then there is a problem with those resolved accesses that the address is reloaded before each access needlessly, it could modify previous instead or use offset of ARM ldr instruction.

I could try to change this but almost every change I do to register allocator or addressing stuff results in some real nasty regressions, that show up in 1/20 of games or so. I wish your recompiler was easier to work with *sigh*.

Thanks Blue Protoman, it worked like a charm. Very good program and very easy to use. I'm coverting over all my files now so I can free up a little extra space for more games on my card.
Note that some compressors destroy metadata and may cause compatibility problems.

props to notaz, Continuously banging out awsome work.

its Devs like you that make the pandora such a shit hot machine

Hey Notaz,

Here's some info for you to wrap your mind around. I just got done converting my PS1 collection over to eboot to save some space, and the problem that was happening with Resident Evil 2 is no longer happening. The file was bin or img before, and once you went into the shop at the start of the game and the clerk would start to talk, the audio would drop out, and the game would just loop and not do anything(would just stay stuck on the clerk).

Now that the file is eboot, it runs fine. The audio plays fine, and the scene plays all the way thru with no freezes. Hopefully this can help you to pin point the cause of the problem, and sort it out for future updates.

Chris

Hey what are the 2 new numbers at the top, in the menu when running a game. In FF9 it shows 1:09 78%

From the same same terminal and directory you typed 'make' in, type "./pcsx" (without quotes) and see what it prints out. If it complains about missing inpur devices, try "sudo ./pcsx".
Thanks, I've seen that before, felt a little dumb after seeing it again.

I ran that and I got "/lib32/libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory" I've been looking for a way to install or compile that but cannot find that information.

Hey what are the 2 new numbers at the top, in the menu when running a game. In FF9 it shows 1:09 78%
Clock and battery charge left.

I ran that and I got "/lib32/libdl.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory"
Where is libdl.so on your system? Do:

ls -l /lib/libdl*

if that doesn't help, try

find / -name 'libdl*

notaz said:
find / -name 'libdl*
that worked, i linked the library and it says "error allocating memory" is there an argument to force it to allocate a certain amount of memory. free -m says i have 530 MB, do I need more than that?

Back