Release PCSX ReARMed release thread

notaz

Certified Guru
Website
notaz.gp2x.de
(since most pandora traffic goes to these boards, I'm moving the release thread here from GP32X)

http://repo.openpand...x_rearmed.notaz

Current release is r11, which mostly focuses on fixes. I'm leaving r10 announcement below since it was more significant release.

r10 was intended to be "fix all regressions so users don't have to use old versions" release, until I compiled rearmed on Caanoo out of interest. Well I was a bit shocked how slow it ran there, which lead to investigation that revealed the memory was not used the way I though it was. After that some rethinking and rewrites not only some games reached playable speeds on Caanoo, but also gave Pandora a good boost, so many games do pretty well at default 600MHz the firmware currently ships with. Slowest part still remains GPU code (there is some behind the scenes work on that that I really hope will materialize), but it has more cycles left from main emu now.

Other than that I fixed multiple sound issues and one nasty bug in frame limiter that caused stuttering in PAL mode (fully rendered frames were not displayed, what a waste). Hopefully with this I can drive Tekken3 players away from r6 at last.

More complete changelog:

• added Caanoo port
  • completely rewrote memory handlers
  • added fixed frameskip option
  • added ability to change PSX clock
  • implemented GTE dead flag detection
  • switched to larger timeslices for better performance
  • fixed some cases of flickering
  • fixed a crash in PCSX4ALL GPU plugin
  • fixed several dynarec compatibility related issues (hopefully)
  • fixed multiple SPU regressions from r9 and earlier
  • fixed frame limiter issue that sometimes caused stuttering
  • fixed some minor GUI issues

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome, thanks a lot :)

Will check with Xenogears which I'm currently playing - and this has some slowdowns even with 1GHz currently :)

Thanks for this will try tomorrow.Sounds like you have done lots of work on it.It just keeps getting better.

Alright Notaz!! Will test once I format my Pandora, lets see if this fixes the slowdowns in FF9 at 1 Ghz. In r9 there were some slowdowns when spells were cast and the menus, menus would only run full speed at 1 Ghz.

Notaz, you are "DA MAN"!

Moving over here is a good choice, as the other boards are mostly dead except for your threads, so finally coming over to the "darkside" is cool with me.

Thanks Again for another stellar release. I'm going to try it right now!

Chris

Slowest part still remains GPU code (there is some behind the scenes work on that that I really hope will materialize), but it has more cycles left from main emu now.

Will the "behind the scenes" work include the gpu of the caanoo?

Awesome, thanks a lot :)

Will check with Xenogears which I'm currently playing - and this has some slowdowns even with 1GHz currently :)

I wrote a book report on Xenogears when I was in High school once, Teacher got pretty steamed when she found out it was a video game and not a "real" book. Point is, ED the fact you are doing this and working on getting production in germany... Is totally amazing, Hell I don't even want to touch Xenogears unless i'm single and stuck in a blizzard or something. Way to be man, get in on that game rock on!

I downloaded the source and I'm trying to recompile for arm ubuntu on my touchpad. I'm relatively new to linux so sorry if the answer is obvious.

I could not find a psx emulator through apt-get so got the source and tried to compile your code. I was able to make without errors but now I'm lost. Is this pandora only or can it be recompiled without modification and I just havent figured it out yet.

Thanks.

Oh, new version!! I need to retry this and see how many of my games work now (Mortal Kombat Trilogy [PAL] certainly didn't, couldn't get past the intro)

• completely rewrote memory handlers

Notaz: Would the memory changes be applicable at all to mupen64plus?
Nope, it's very much PSX specific.

I could not find a psx emulator through apt-get so got the source and tried to compile your code. I was able to make without errors but now I'm lost. Is this pandora only or can it be recompiled without modification and I just havent figured it out yet.
It might work, what do you get when you try to run it? It might need root to access input devices, as it uses evdev directly.

Great work Notaz! In previous releases Marvel Vs. Capcom didn't work - but in the latest release it runs flawlessly. Fantastic - thanks!

Also - Need For Speed 3 now runs at full speed. Excellent.

Back