Release Pcsx-Rearmed

I have tested these games with a bios on r4

Alundra - seems to run fullspeed without any problems
Crash Bandicoot 2 - runs better than psx4pandora with frameskip, works like a charm actually
Lunar 2 - Music still seems slow and battles are sluggish feeling with sfx out of sync or something. But i'm not sure if this is just me used to the way psx4pandora ran the game.

Edit: I just watched a video on youtube and it appears that this emulator is accurate.

so Lunar 2 - perfect

meandu229 said:
Is it worth making a spreadsheetto hold all these tests in with various settings,,
Also thanks for your work,, been playing through MGS love it

Was wondering about this as well.

@notaz what would help you?, Would you want to see any additional categories compared to the list for psx4pandora found here?

PS Just tried r4 with the bios, very nice indeed, thanks again for all your hard work.

Last edited by a moderator:
HackModford said:
Yes it is. We should do it just like the other emulator using google docs

its public editable at the moment as there iis nothing on it
just copied the psx4pandora one
done it all on my pandora so i dont know how much ill get filled in if someone else wants to copy paste it all in?
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0ArSWWAWRjErldHZVZlFxY0tBVnRRNXM5U3ZqWFNuN0E&hl=en

meandu229 said:
Is it worth making a spreadsheetto hold all these tests in with various settings,,

I tried this last night, have you managed to get the videos and voices working nicely? It stutters badly for me. Not too bad in game.

mvickers03 said:
meandu229 said:

I tried this last night, have you managed to get the videos and voices working nicely? It stutters badly for me. Not too bad in game.
no i played it m any times before though so i skip them

meandu229 said:
mvickers03 said:
meandu229 said:

no i played it m any times before though so i skip them

OK Thanks man :)

I added my 3 games to the list.

I also changed the Emulator versions and updated with links.

Hope that helps!

Mr Loon said:
@notaz what would help you?, Would you want to see any additional categories compared to the list for psx4pandora found here?
I'm only interested in broken games really, so any list does it for me (name+region is usually enough).

Real BIOS @ 800 MHz

Team Buddies (U) .bin - Intro movie and menus work but when you start a game the loading bar keeps showing progress but doesn't access SD card. Eventually stops moving at 100% but just stays there. Not a lock up as I can still access PCSX menu via space.

I managed to arrest a free moment --

Wipeout 3 runs abotu 40fps at 700mhz; it doesn't seem to matter if its the GLES plugin or built in (software renderer I assume?) .. varies from 39-45 fps with both, maybe a touch faster on gles. This is with HLE and not BIOS, with music on.

With r1 it didn't work much at all if memory serves :)

EBoot support woudl be handy, but there is a tool to backconvert from PSP Eboot rip to plain jane iso.

jeff

Chaser said:
stustaff said:
@Chaser what is your set up for running vandal hearts? I still have sound problem on effects, like when they level up or use magic.

3 Things. Firstly what region and format are you using? I noticed you were using a .bin copy (you corrected a corrupted one). I'm using a PAL .img version made with CloneCD with the sub channel data included (trial version also works).

Settings are PAL, 800mhz, Bios enabled, default sound plug in and it seems to have good audio, cutscene voice and no bad sound effects in game. I also just ran it on my PS2 as my PS3 has the YLOD to compare it, as its been years since I played it and I never got too far then, as other games stole my attention. I shall give it a proper play now its Pandora friendly.

Secondly I hadn't played beyond the first battle, now I've gone to the church. In R2/R3 there was immediately apparent audio dischords getting stuck and playing for prolonged periods plus odd sounds on battle. That all appears to have gone now. With HLE in R4 you get that dischord from the first ingame footage.

Third, I'm not using any special settings for any of the games I've tested, as most of them are lost on me anyway. Simply Bios or HLE and some level of OC. I also make sure the PAL/NTSC setting is correct or experiment with it, as for example NTSC Alien Resurrection loses about 15-20fps if set to PAL by accident and I think theres some others that benefit with the wrong setting. I've also found speed/compatability differences with different formats (bin/img/mdf/iso) of the same games, aswell as differences in what software was used to rip an img version (in my case either Alc 120%, or CloneCD) Heck knows why!

I did however just experience that with Bios enabled, you lose the voice over and audio of the intro sequence. Then it works just fine again. Like you with this game, finding you got a black screen when it previously worked, I got that with Destruction Derby 1, as my son was playing it yesterday and today it wont work at all. Weird.

Sorry to waffle.

No that's really useful thanks, I'll continue to experiment.

Have you checked the actual game file for destruction derby? I'm wondering if the EMU is corrupting them somehow??

Just thought I'd mention that Parasite Eve 2 PAL works, but you need to activate the fix for it in the Advanced menu.

Also, Syphon Filter 3 gets stuck in a loop on the second mission in the first (realtime) cut scene :( Most of the scenes have an issue where all the sound dialogs get played instead of just the current correct one, but you can just skip the scenes in the first mission and keep playing. The second mission however you have to watch it and I think it just wont finish the scene until all the dialog sfx plays (and I mean ALL! Could be 5 mins of snatches of disjointed dialog).

Ok, I've gotten to try out a few on R4 (having tried them on R3 earlier in the day, since I hadn't yet updated the PND on my SD Card). I'm very very impressed by the enormous improvement between versions. The games I've tried on R4 are below. Please note that I kept my CPU clocked to 850MHz for all of them (as I didn't have the time to try each game at various clock speeds in order to find the lowest one they will run at), and unless otherwise stated I used the scph1001 BIOS for all of them.

Croc: Legend of the Gobbos (PAL) - Damn near perfect! Runs at full-speed (at 850MHz), with no need for frameskip! (An enormous improvement over R3.) Unfortunately, though, the lovely cutscenes do not play.

Croc 2 (PAL) - Does not work. The game loads and the company logo videos are displayed, but the boot-up cutscene gets skipped. When you try to start the game, you can create your file just fine, but the opening cutscene begins, tries to skip itself, but gets stuck in the location where that cutscene takes place (it is not a part of any playable world - it exists purely for that cutscene). It then just sits there thinking it's playing the game properly, whilst cheerfully displaying the health counter.
Side-note: The first time I tried to run this game, a couple of seconds into Argonaut Software Ltd.'s logo-video, the game froze for a moment, and then caused the Pandora to reboot as if I had held down the Pandora button and performed a hard-reset! I was unable to replicate this the second time I tried, though, and I haven't run it since finding that the game doesn't work. I had my fingers nowhere near either the Pandora button or the power switch, and it was not a case of a jolt to the battery compartment causing a reboot, either.

Rockman 8 - Metal Heroes (NTSC-J) - Now runs damn near perfectly. It's full-speed (at 850MHz) with no need for frameskip. However, in areas with large amounts of transparency effects (such as the underwater section that's underground in the intro stage), it (and its music) slows down a noticeable amount. Unfortunately, the game's FMVs do not play (this includes the company logo videos, too).

Spyro the Dragon (PAL) - This game worked in R3, but seems to be broken in R4. If you use the BIOS, it will lock up the entire Pandora before it even gets to the title screen. If you use HLE, it will lock up the Pandora after the introductory animation, once you have started the game. What runs is full-speed (at 850MHz), though.

Lomax (PAL) - Perfect. It even played the CDDA correctly with my bin/toc rip, which saves me from having to re-rip it as bin/cue.

Mega Man Battle & Chase (PAL) - Now semi-working if BIOS is used, but it will lock up under a normal usage scenario. Runs full-speed and damn near perfectly at 850MHz (although some menus have minor speed issues), but when you try to save your game it locks up the Pandora when it starts writing to the memory card. This will result in a corrupt file on the memory card that the game itself cannot see, but other games will, which can be deleted by using PCSX-ReARMed's "Run BIOS" option.

Klonoa - Door To Phantomile - Now working if BIOS is used. However, it has some major speed issues, and is generally too slow to play. The music stutters and goes slowly, too.

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne (PAL) - Still broken, unfortunately. I noticed that, whilst it locks up during Capcom's logo-video, it is possible to skip this and get to the title screen. However, after setting up the controls, it locks up the Pandora when you try to start the game.

It's worth noting that games which previously simply crashed (such as Mega Man Battle & Chase, and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne) to the desktop, now lock up the whole machine, requiring a hard-reset to get out of.

Final Fantasy VIII (NTSC I think, any way I can check?) - FMVs play perfectly except a small jutter every 5-7 seconds (could be my SD card, got a faster one coming), and moving around the pre-rendered environments is not far from perfect. Bizarrely, opening the undetailed menu causes a big performance drop, yet navigating to some sub-sections of the menu bring the performance back up. Exploring the world map in 3D is a little laggy, and entering a random battle causes the screen to freeze, yet the music keeps playing.

Also, no memory card recognised when saving game.

Something I have noticed - this isnt me bitching, just trying to give feedback...

On US NTSC SOTN and JAP patched NTSC SOTN, certain levels will play fluid, no slow down, perfect 60fps.

On another level (no difference in details, no change in 2d/3d) it will still say 60fps but will be noticeably slower (nowhere near unplayable, but definitely not 60fps as reported).

How accurate will the FPS be will selected in options?

Sound is fine, no cracks or pops but it does slow down when gameplay slows down (even as above when 60 FPS is reported)

Prometheus said:
Please note that I kept my CPU clocked to 850MHz for all of them (as I didn't have the time to try each game at various clock speeds in order to find the lowest one they will run at), and unless otherwise stated I used the scph1001 BIOS for all of them.
Side-note: The first time I tried to run this game, a couple of seconds into Argonaut Software Ltd.'s logo-video, the game froze for a moment, and then caused the Pandora to reboot as if I had held down the Pandora button and performed a hard-reset! I was unable to replicate this the second time I tried, though, and I haven't run it since finding that the game doesn't work. I had my fingers nowhere near either the Pandora button or the power switch, and it was not a case of a jolt to the battery compartment causing a reboot, either.
Spyro the Dragon (PAL) - This game worked in R3, but seems to be broken in R4. If you use the BIOS, it will lock up the entire Pandora before it even gets to the title screen. If you use HLE, it will lock up the Pandora after the introductory animation, once you have started the game. What runs is full-speed (at 850MHz), though.
It's worth noting that games which previously simply crashed (such as Mega Man Battle & Chase, and The Misadventures of Tron Bonne) to the desktop, now lock up the whole machine, requiring a hard-reset to get out of.
Unless you are using GLES plugin (which triggers SGX driver bugs and may crash the system anytime) you are probably too close to your overclocking limit. There is no way the emu can reboot the system, it can only deadlock making UI unresponsive and needing you to reboot (I'll try to add some code to detect this situation). I assume you are doing 850 at OPP3? I'm using some NEON code and NEON is known to have a bit lower overclocking limit than stuff just only using ARM.

Mantis said:
Final Fantasy VIII
Exploring the world map in 3D is a little laggy, and entering a random battle causes the screen to freeze, yet the music keeps playing.
How far is the first battle from the start of game? Can somebody do a savestate in world map before it hangs (somebody did one in this thread but it's already in hung state and no use to me).

jonlad1 said:
On another level (no difference in details, no change in 2d/3d) it will still say 60fps but will be noticeably slower (nowhere near unplayable, but definitely not 60fps as reported).

How accurate will the FPS be will selected in options?
It could be that some events that happen on real PSX are done at wrong time in the emu and the game misses them, causing game logic to run slow even though the emu runs fullspeed. It could also be game slowdowns that happen on real machine.

notaz said:
Unless you are using GLES plugin (which triggers SGX driver bugs and may crash the system anytime) you are probably too close to your overclocking limit.
I'm not using the GLES plugin, but you're right, I probably am too close to the limit - as far as I know 850MHz is probably about as high as my unit can stably go. (I've never tried going higher, but I know it insta-locks at 900. :p)

There is no way the emu can reboot the system, it can only deadlock making UI unresponsive and needing you to reboot (I'll try to add some code to detect this situation). I assume you are doing 850 at OPP3? I'm using some NEON code and NEON is known to have a bit lower overclocking limit than stuff just only using ARM.
You assume correct. I was wondering if it was NEON stuff - I recall encountering similar with psx4pandora, as well. It made it very crash-happy. :lol: I'll move it down to 750MHz, and see what happens with that, since that seemed to make it stop in the aforementioned instance.

It probably explains the apparent memory card issue in Mega Man Battle & Chase, too, come to think of it - it probably just happened to lock up at that moment, rather than because of the memory card access.

Thanks for your response (and, of course, thanks very much for PCSX-ReARMed, too!), notaz. It is much appreciated. :)

notaz said:
How far is the first battle from the start of game? Can somebody do a savestate in world map before it hangs (somebody did one in this thread but it's already in hung state and no use to me).

I believe I do have such a savestate. But—incoming stupid question—where are the savestates stored? I looked in the appdata folder. Guess I've still got to familiarise myself with this machine... :p Oh, and it's about twenty minutes in, but I should be able to save you some time if I post the savestate.

Back