Release Pcsx-Rearmed

Waiting for Chrono Cross to become playable in a enjoyable way (Battle > 20fps xD).
However this project is something I can enjoy a lot, as even some graphically intensive games run great on it.

Keep going notaz, its a great project so far.

There will probably be r7 release this week. Actually I already have a build that I was going to release but it failed my own tests (too many broken games).

Just wanted to add that r6 is great.

Its fixed the audio issue in GTA (where re-entering a car type causes the radios to become static) and the disc swapping you added allows GTA London and probably MGS VR missions to run too. The keymapping is much clearer now aswell, though the analogue support doesn't seem to be recognised by Alien Resurrection in my case, causing the game to pause and claim 'no controller is connected'. Anyone else got that going on the nubs?

Other than that Shadow Master now runs perfect among a bunch of others that didn't prior to r6. The only games I see much issue with is the Tony Hawks games which have borked audio that I cant find a setting for.

Amazing work already and looking forward to r7 :)

Whoot? Great, notaz! I can just continue repeating how great this already runs. Indeed, it does :lol:

notaz said:
There will probably be r7 release this week. Actually I already have a build that I was going to release but it failed my own tests (too many broken games).

Great stuff Notaz, really looking forward to R7.

The progress made on this emulator has been truly amazing. Can't get enough of hand held PS1 emulation at the moment. Never thought it would happen but Pcsx-Rearmed has seen more use than mame on my Pandora. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't wait to get my pandora BACK from repairs :D
I'll immediately start digging in and see how much better everything runs :D

+1.

Should have my Panda back tomorrow, and already loaded up an SDHC with bins 'n' isos ;)

ok I think I managed to fix it today so I'm releasing r7.
http://notaz.gp2x.de/releases/pcsxr/pcsx_rearmed_r7.pnd

As promised, with this I tried to focus on performance and I think it's better now. This release features NEON code for most used GTE instructions, dynarec tweaks (including latest Ari64's work) and some quick work on SPU and GPU code. All games should be at least a bit faster (it depends on what the game is doing), and the loading slowdowns should be mostly gone now (like the ones before first battles in FF7).

New bugs are likely though, as quite a lot has been changed (including timing), so report here if something broke.

The new NEON code for GTE was my first attempt at writing something more serious in NEON and took the most time to complete (maybe someone like Exophase could take a look there for some goofages). One interesting thing there is that I was able to do flag calculation nearly for free on ARM while NEON did the arithmetics, so dead flag detection would no longer benefit much (< 10% of all GTE time in my tests, but I'll probably do it later anyway for completeness).

Next release will probably take much longer to make (if it's ever done) as it looks like further improvements need larger rewrites.

Full changelog:
  • implemented most used GTE operations in NEON
  • merged latest Ari64's recompiler patches
  • removed some code from the recompiler that is unneeded for R3k
  • added some special handlers for constant reads
  • some moderate builtin GPU and SPU optimizations
  • added redump.org SBI support
  • tuned frameskip code again
  • fixed one 'analog controller not working' issue
  • fixed a crash in builtin gpu code
  • fixed cdrom slowdown issue
  • fixed my stupid bug in the recompiler that slowed down recompilation a lot
  • some other refactoring

Wow ive been testing chrono cross waiting for it to be playable...now it totally is!

Not perfect but playable now.

Awesome work :)

Great work on r7 notaz!
Tony Hawks 1 and 2 work flawless as far as i have played now, same goes for Mat Hoffmann Pro BMX

Where does pcsx_rearmed store its config file and memory cards btw? could not find them under /pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed

edit: just figured that target selection in Final Fantasy 7 is broken, there is a small window that shows part of the attackable enemies, but you cant really find out which one you actually want to attack

edit2: i cant save in ff7, it always tells me "no memory card found". I am on hotfix 5 rc2 and use a bios in pcsx_rearmed

edit3: attack selection is fixed if you choose the pcsx4all gpu plugin

Awesome. Thank you again

EDIT: You probably already know this (I didn't read through the thread to see if it's been reported), but Castlevania: Symphony Of The Night has sound issues. Specifically, the sound skips randomly.

Nevermind, it seems to be fine when I clock the Pandora to 700mhz with frameskip.

notaz said:
Thanks for the update Notaz. This emu sounds like a massive amount of coding. Glad to see that you stuck with it for so long. The stuttery sound is gone in alot of stuff now :)

Thanks for the great work.

BUG: Jumping flash crashes out. I think that worked on the previous version?

HackModford said:
I can't wait to get my pandora BACK from repairs :D
I'll immediately start digging in and see how much better everything runs :D
Same for me. :(

On a side note though has anyone checked Spyro the Dragon to see if the updrafts work? :)

#1 GameMaster said:
On a side note though has anyone checked Spyro the Dragon to see if the updrafts work? :)
Oh, the updrafts work, you just can't see 'em. And nope, I tried Spyro The Dragon in r7 and they were still invisible.

Rollcage still crashes, too. But Tarzan works now!

Wow ... that's awesome! Thx Notaz.

added redump.org SBI support

For people who don't know what this means:
If you have an copy protected game (eg FF8 in german) for which you only have bin/cue files, you can download the subchannel data as .sbi file from redump.org and the game will work.

IsSuE said:
Where does pcsx_rearmed store its config file and memory cards btw? could not find them under /pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed
In a hidden directory in /pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed/.pcsx
Why hidden? Just because I was lazy and did override HOME to /pandora/appdata/pcsx_rearmed, where original PCSX creates .pcsx .

IsSuE said:
edit2: i cant save in ff7, it always tells me "no memory card found". I am on hotfix 5 rc2 and use a bios in pcsx_rearmed
It used to work before, right?

IsSuE said:
edit3: attack selection is fixed if you choose the pcsx4all gpu plugin
.. or disable frameskip

Larry Hastings said:
#1 GameMaster said:
Oh, the updrafts work, you just can't see 'em. And nope, I tried Spyro The Dragon in r7 and they were still invisible.
Seems to be a GPU problem and I'm not an expert of that thing. I haven't cross-checked it with PCSX-Reloaded as savestates are incompatible, memcards don't work and it's so far in the game.

Excellent! Got my Pandora back today so I can give this baby a good runover tonight :)

Back