Pcsx4All Compatibility List

Heart of Darkness [SLUS-00696] is not working right. First it doesn't show me the FPS (it's always ??/??), and it seems to detect memmory card error when you use HLE (but BIOS is ok).

The cutscenes are running a little faster than normal at overclock 700/800, frameskip 0 and the sound is good either XA with/without CD audio... the only problem comes when the game actually starts: it freezes as soon as the first cinematic ends

I tried messing with the overclock, the bias, the CPU clock and tried all the CPU cores and game fixes (strangely enough, Sio Irq prevents me from jumping the cutscene and in the first screen of the game when it freezes, it appears "heart of darkness demo" in light-blue letters at the bottom of the screen... wierd)

Before putting this in the list followed by "not working bla bla bla", is there anything else that I could try? It seems to work alright, it just... lacks something

Thanks for the attention

Exophase said:
Lord Scar, why are you testing with the frame limiter off?

Well, probably because I may or may not have accidentaly turned the darn thing off when I was fidgeting with the emu, sorry ^^"

Ok, NOW I can see that the game is running at 50/60 FPS, what would be very good except that I'm still freezing in the very first screen of the game (and the frameskip is still running, sometimes 53, sometimes 52, then back to 53...)

Yeah, I think this game has no solution, I'll test others later (and this time I'll remember to see if the frame limiter is on... sorry about that, and thanks for the help Exophase ^^"""")

Last edited by a moderator:
Vagrant Story

•Status - Green
•Filetype - .bin and .img .sub .ccd
•Region - U/NTSC
•Wiz Clock - 800
•Ram Tweaks - ON
•FrameLimit - OFF
•FrameSkip - 1 (Video)
•Sound - ON (XA)
•CPU Clock - 90%
•CPU Bias - 2
•CPU Core - HLE
•Game Fixes - None
•Notes - A bias value of 4 or more resulted in the enemies not attacking which is interesting. FrameSkip 3 may be preferred by some. Lowering the CPU clock to 90% seemed to be better than 100%, but its hard to be precise. I experimented with 70% and that was fine too.

NCAA Gamebreaker '97

Status - Blue
•Filetype - .img .sub .ccd
•Region - U/NTSC
•Wiz Clock - 700
•Ram Tweaks - ON
•FrameLimit - OFF
•FrameSkip - 0 (Video)
•Sound - ON (Basic)
•CPU Clock - 100%
•CPU Bias - 4
•CPU Core - HLE
•Game Fixes - None
•Notes - This game would be emulating great except that during the actual game there is a graphical glitch that looks like it has to do with the camera being behind the crowd, so you can see the action on the field but you have to look 'through' a layer of colored fans. The announcer doesn't really work which is the reason for 'Basic' sound

Some Black Screens
Resident Evil 1 U/NTSC .img .sub .ccd <- this one is weird because it was in the online video for the emulator
Danger Girl E/PAL .img .sub .ccd <- tried all cores and nothing but black screen

Fifa Road to the World Cup 1998

Status - Blue
•Filetype - .img .sub .ccd
•Region - U/NTSC
•Wiz Clock - 800
•Ram Tweaks - ON
•FrameLimit - OFF
•FrameSkip - 0 (Video)
•Sound - OFF
•CPU Clock - 200%
•CPU Bias - 10
•CPU Core - BIOS
•Game Fixes - None
•Notes - Game simply wants more and more CPU. If you can clock your Wiz safely to 900 then this will be even better, as it emulates at about 40fps with above settings which is playable. Higher multipliers than 8,9, or 10 seemed to cause problems and sticking. I got it to boot with HLE with a very high multiplier but BIOS worked best. Sound worked ok on Basic but slowed down gameplay and sounded pretty crappy. Frameskip causes game to be unplayable. Progressive interlace may give an extra 1 or 2 fps hard to tell.

wongojack said:
•Notes - Game simply wants more and more CPU. If you can clock your Wiz safely to 900 then this will be even better, as it emulates at about 40fps with above settings which is playable. Higher multipliers than 8,9, or 10 seemed to cause problems and sticking. I got it to boot with HLE with a very high multiplier but BIOS worked best. Sound worked ok on Basic but slowed down gameplay and sounded pretty crappy. Frameskip causes game to be unplayable. Progressive interlace may give an extra 1 or 2 fps hard to tell.

Game wants 200% CPU clock because you're bumping up the bias so high. What they're doing these two options basically cancel each other out (although the granularity is different between them). Probably HLE at boot worked with the high bias setting because (I'm guessing) the HLE'd functions take zero CPU cycles (or some small number).

I'd confirm if I had the source. Since the source doesn't appear to be posted anywhere I guess it's time for me to go make a topic for it.

@Exophase - Both the Bias and the CPU clock needed to be raised for the best performance. I tested a lot of combinations including very low bias and high clock. I don't claim to understand why it works, but I found those settings to be the best.

Can anyone tell me if this emu is going to, or currently being optimized to take advantage of 3D acceleration?

Reading the compatibility list and trying a few roms, the game I'm looking forward to most being FFIV, runs IMO at 70%. Some scenes that are mostly 2d run better - but when there are backgrounds that contain animation, and when entering battles - the game just chugs along fairly slowly.

I've had better luck running using BIOS, only it locks up as soon as I enter the first battle off the train. HLE-secure fixes this, though the title boot up (Sony Computer Entertainment Presents) flickers a lot - it does get me through without locking up.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced similar experiences while playing FFIV, and could possibly offer any other solutions.

Experiencing the same slow down with RE2 as well. Definitely not 100% FR as the guide suggests.

Any help? Thanks.

wongojack said:
@Exophase - Both the Bias and the CPU clock needed to be raised for the best performance. I tested a lot of combinations including very low bias and high clock. I don't claim to understand why it works, but I found those settings to be the best.

This is what I can tell based on the readme and have confirmed by reading the PCSX-Reloaded source:

There is a nominal number of clock cycles per second, 33,868,800. When you change the clock value you're scaling this value to (nominal * clock) / 100. So in your case it'd be setting the value 67,737,600.

Then, each instruction nominally takes some fixed number of cycles to execute. In a real PS1 most, if not all instructions would statically issue at a rate of 1 per cycle (MAME does document that there's data dependency stalling on loads that doesn't work in branch delay slots). Non-ideal circumstances at run time such as instruction cache misses and loads/stores to DRAM would cause stalls, but these are more expensive to emulate. So the emulator nominally consumes 1 cycle per instruction (I've confirmed this, there aren't any exceptions). Setting bias to values higher than 1 increases this.

Basically what I'm getting at is that the number of instructions per second that it emulates is (nominal_rate * clock_speed / 100) / bias. So you setting clock to 200 and bias to 10 should be exactly the same as setting clock to 100 and bias to 5. Having two different values just gives you a little more precision for selecting the same result. On the other hand, setting a high clock and a low bias like you mentioned has the exact opposite effect.

Dran said:
Can anyone tell me if this emu is going to, or currently being optimized to take advantage of 3D acceleration?

Reading the compatibility list and trying a few roms, the game I'm looking forward to most being FFIV, runs IMO at 70%. Some scenes that are mostly 2d run better - but when there are backgrounds that contain animation, and when entering battles - the game just chugs along fairly slowly.

I've had better luck running using BIOS, only it locks up as soon as I enter the first battle off the train. HLE-secure fixes this, though the title boot up (Sony Computer Entertainment Presents) flickers a lot - it does get me through without locking up.

I was wondering if any of you have experienced similar experiences while playing FFIV, and could possibly offer any other solutions.

Experiencing the same slow down with RE2 as well. Definitely not 100% FR as the guide suggests.

Any help? Thanks.

Why do you want to play FFIV so much on a PS1 emulator? Is the PS1 version that much better than the SNES version? I hear there are deficiencies.. a few FMVs (that only play at the start and end, and you can easily see them elsewhere) doesn't really seem worth it...

Can someone test Judge Dredd? As I remember this game didn't emulate well on the PSP. It'd be interesting to see if it works here. I'll help out once I receive the SD card I ordered.

Exophase said:
Dran said:

Any help? Thanks.

Why do you want to play FFIV so much on a PS1 emulator? Is the PS1 version that much better than the SNES version? I hear there are deficiencies.. a few FMVs (that only play at the start and end, and you can easily see them elsewhere) doesn't really seem worth it...

Oops. I actually meant FFVII. That's the game I'm looking forward to playing on my Wiz. I have no problems with the PocketSNES V7.0.

Yea, I have problems with RE2 and FFVII. Even with adjusting all settings to their suggested value - the game chugs with some 3d. Disabling the sound helps a bit though. Those are the games I'm most interested in seeing run on my Wiz. Any ideas?

Dran said:
Exophase said:
Dran said:

Any help? Thanks.

Oops. I actually meant FFVII. That's the game I'm looking forward to playing on my Wiz. I have no problems with the PocketSNES V7.0.

Yea, I have problems with RE2 and FFVII. Even with adjusting all settings to their suggested value - the game chugs with some 3d. Disabling the sound helps a bit though. Those are the games I'm most interested in seeing run on my Wiz. Any ideas?

At the moment the emulator, as far as I know, can't run anything at 100% full speed, with perfect emulation that feels like you're playing the original console. According to franxis, The emulator will eventually receive new code for a better Recompiler, and for use of the Wiz's 3D hardware. But with the way things have been going around here, who knows what will happen to the emulator. You could try out some different Playstation CPU speeds, some different CPU bias speeds, etc. But I'm not sure it'll ever run 100% without some kind of slowdown in the sound or something.

What're the prospects of the Caanoo running PCSX4ALL at full speed, since it has the extra bit of RAM? Any speculation?

BlackPowderDoc said:
What're the prospects of the Caanoo running PCSX4ALL at full speed, since it has the extra bit of RAM? Any speculation?

the ram increase is not going to make it run faster

BlackPowderDoc said:

More RAM is worthless here. Faster RAM would be better. Unfortunately the Cannoo seems to have slightly slower RAM.

I've said it before, but what Pcsx4all needs is idle loop detection of some sort, and if it works any substantial percentage of the time the clock and bias options should be buried, if not outright removed.

I'd really like to see recompiler output profiled by block usage. The idle loops should bubble straight to the top in games that use them (most games) and should be pretty obvious to the reader. If they can be made as obvious to the emulator itself then things will work out nicely.

Animan said:
crow_riot said:
just want to mention (if not anyone else already did) there's a spanish compatibility list, too. maybe you should merge the lists?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Av-Z4VRCt7S3dHRBM3FYMkVJMjYyVEhDRTVlRTRQdkE&hl=es&authkey=CPG2q_MK#gid=7

The only issue with that would be 2 languages. Having a list with 2 different languages wouldn't work too well (it's easy enough for me to tell on that list how good the games run, but I can't read to notes), so more that likely you would end up having to maintain an english and spanish version... Plus, I don't see too many games that aren't already listed on "our" list, maybe just a few.

I've been translating and importing entries from the spanish list, it's the reason why I added the "name" column. I haven't had much time to be doing much maintenance on the list lately. Hopefully someone is making sure it isn't losing entries and such.

Regarding FIFA RTWC '98

@Exophase thanks for that explanation about the relationship between the bias and the cpu clock! I consider myself able to follow instructions and I'm interested in this for further testing of other games, so I went ahead and did a comparison.

With my original settings I posted above I get somewhere between 20 and 40 FPS depending on how much stuff is going on around the ball. The FPS stays mostly between 35 and 38, but fluctuates.

I switched and tried bias 5 at 100% cpu clock and the FPS swings between 5 and 33. For most of the gameplay it stays between 30 and 32. The game is noticeably slower and less responsive.

Back