PickleLauncher: issues, requests

gruso

thunderbox
Website
pandorapress.net
Sorry if this stuff has been covered before. I've been working on some PL skins this week (and learning lots about it fast - it is a lot more flexible and capable than I thought. Nice one Pickle.) Just some feedback...

Adjusting fonts. It would be nice if the header & footer text ('PickleLauncher' v0.xx, file path etc) were adjustable separately from the file list. This would make things a lot more flexible for skinners. Two changes would be needed:

• Size categories 'small, medium, large' would be expanded to 'header, path, file normal, file large, footer'.
  • Colour categories 'fontfiles' and 'fontfolders' would become 'header, path, files, folders, footer'.

List position not saved. When you exit a game and return to PL, you are placed back at the top of the file list. A bit of a bummer when you have many files - even more of a bummer when you've just edited an item (eg. set resolution for a game) and it resets the list when you hit the back button. A fix here would be golden.

Lastly, just a minor annoyance for skinners. The image files button_back.png, button_set_one.png, and button_set_all.png are not mentioned in documentation. I found the names by digging in the sources - future skinners would probably like to see them in the readme. I'm going to put some PL skinning tips on the wiki, so I will include that info.

A few more cents:

"Written by Scott Smith" in the footer should become "PickleLauncher vX.X written by Scott Smith". Then the top line of text, while staying as it is by default, could be edited in config.txt, or even switched off.

Pickle,

When you type in characters to filter the list and hit backspace to delete the filter some characters always remain.

Open a list, type in any set of characters as a filter, then hit backspace to remove the filter, notice how the characters did not erase properly.

Internally the list is filtered correctly but the some of characters are still there.

Thanks for the PickleLauncer, it is a nice front end.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes when using the onscreen EDIT button the buttons don't change to match Options screen.

Press EDIT and the list changes to options but the EDIT, SELECT, QUIT buttons are still there.

I work around this by assigning Pandora's "Y" button to invoke EDIT with "key_cfgentry = 280" in config.txt

With this setting pressing the Pandora's "Y" button always brings up the correct EDIT screen.

The Pandora's "B" button can select the option to change.

However, the Back button (key_dirup/ Pandora X) does not go Back.

Thanks!!!

Thanks! It means a lot to developers like myself when you get feedback that someone else find a use for your work. It really makes me motivated to make changes. ;-)

Keep it coming.

Font/Colors: I see you want to specify the size and color based on the gui part. I think this is reasonable and doable.

List Position: I think this is reasonable, ill have to think on how to do it.

Documentation: yes the readme and wiki pages are not in sync with the latest svn. Feel free to edit anything on the wiki page for correctness ;-)

http://pandorawiki.org/PickleLauncher

Title text: im pretty sure I added an option to override the top text. Ill think about adding the title into the copyright line. Im not sure if it would fit for 320x240, need to check.

Filter text and Button editing: I will see if I can duplicate the problems.

Thanks Pickle,

I know what you mean about the feedback, GnGB was sitting dormant until people started posting about it.

As for PickleLauncher, I was looking at the source code and noticed that there are no keyboard definitions for EVENT_BACK.

I was going to try to put it in myself but since you’re here:

cconfig.h :

Code:
#define OPT_KEYBACK          	"key_back"

cconfig.cpp :

Code:
KeyMaps.at(EVENT_BACK) 	= SDLK_LCTRL;

LOAD_KEY( OPT_KEYBACK, 			KeyMaps.at(EVENT_BACK) );

SAVE_STR( OPT_ KEYBACK, 			GET_KEY_NAME(EVENT_BACK), 	KeyMaps.at(EVENT_BACK) );

Would these (in the appropriate sections) be enough to activate a BACK keyboard button (default LCTRL) using “key_back = “ in config.txt?

EDIT: Just tried this and it works! So never mind about this part. I also added a key for other the Edit functions (SET_ALL, SET_ONE)

To see the onscreen EDIT problem name an empty text file “Donkey Kong (V1.1) (JU) [!].gb” and press the onscreen EDIT button.

The EDIT and SELECT button remain onscreen.

Then try it with a key assigned to "key_cfgentry” in config.txt, SELECT and BACK will appear.

I think it has to do with the filename as it always works with the assigned key but not always with the onscreen EDIT button.

Most files do work fine with the onscreen EDIT button.

EDIT2: The EDIT function does not work at all (key or onscreen) on Zipped (.zip) files.

Thanks again!!!

Im not surprised if some key maps are missing or dont work as I used touchscreen mostly, so if your changes indeed fix a problem then could create a patch?

There could be an issue with the specific filename you gave, i recall there being another unrelated issue with certain file names previously. When i have time I will try this specific case out and see if something needs to be changed.

Edit should only work for launchable files, so folders and zips do not. Maybe a feature could be added in the future to allow settings per folder or zip.

In the case of GnGB ".zip" is a launchable file, with PickleLauncher zip support turned off, the emulator takes care of the rest.

Could we at least let them be able to set the Defaults?

I am not currently setup to make source patch files, but I attached the files I changed.

cconfig.h : added lines 273, 274, and 276

cconfig.cpp : added lines 121, 122, 123, 315, 316, 317 , 475, 476, and 478

added key_setone =, key_setall =, and key_back = to config.txt under # Keyboard section

Thanks!

cconfig.cpp.txt

Attachments

• cconfig.h.txt
    23.2 KB · Views: 129
  • cconfig.cpp.txt
    27.7 KB · Views: 110
Not sure if it'll help the bug hunting, but I've found that the bug with the EDIT / SET / BACK buttons not appearing only rears its head when skin images are in use. If I remove /images and config.txt from /appdata (thus reverting to gnGB's default text based PL) behaviour returns to normal.

The defaults can be changed, but its default for all, not at a specific folder level or zip.

How can this be enabled?

Currently I plan to include a blank set_defults.gb file and provide instructions on how to use it to set defaults for people with all files zipped.

To be able to enter the Edit menu on zip files and folders and only Set All would be a better solution.

Okay, I figured out how to be able to enter the Edit menu on zip files and only have Set Defaults available.

I basically used If statements to conditionally limit the available inputs.

Probably a little hack-ish but it works.

cselector.cpp

Line 637: added TYPE_ZIP to allow Edit menu to be used for .zip files

Line 1376: “Set One” button only shows for files and launchable directories (not zip files)

Line 2404: “Set One” key only works for files and launchable directories (not zip files)

Could not figure out how to have the Edit button only show up (when it can be used) for files, zip files, and launchable directories.

cselector.cpp.txt

Attachments

• cselector.cpp.txt
    74.2 KB · Views: 103
Finally back up and running :)

I made a couples updates, a fix the filter text and the joy/key button mappings that were missing and put into the svn

Hope to add more changes for the other ideas and improvements soon

Hi Pickle,

I just downloaded and compiled v0.21 and some issues remain with the filtering.

The filter is not visibly removed.

The backspace works and the list filters correctly but all the characters don’t disappear.

When changing directories parts of the old (usually longer) directory path remain.

Thanks

The filter is not visibly removed.

The backspace works and the list filters correctly but all the characters don’t disappear.

When changing directories parts of the old (usually longer) directory path remain.

Darn, the pains of using a event triggered update field. I may just force it to update the entire row across the screen to cover all cases.

Can you be a little more specific though, what characters dont disappear? is it only specific ones?

When you change the directory, do you mean when the directory overlaps with the filter?

The more detailed you can be helps.

Directory structure:

/gb/

/gb/Unlicensed/

/gb/USA/

/gb/World/

/gbc/

Go into /gb/Unlicensed/ and back out and into /gbc/ the path will be shown as:

/gbc/nlicensed/

I think I found a common denominator; the filter issues only happen once the text starts scrolling in longer file names.

If I am on a file name that does not scroll then everything works fine.

If I set text_scroll_option = 0 in config.sys on line 16 everything works fine.

So the text scroll needs to play nice with the list filter and vice-versa.

EDIT: This could also explain why the Edit button wasn't working correctly for certain files, as they also had longer names.

The directory changing with text scrolling works perfect now.

However, the text filter does not consistently show up when the text is scrolling.

To re-produce:

Open any list and navigate to any scrolling text entry, while the text is scrolling type in a filter from the keyboard.

If the text was scrolling then the characters you typed to filter likely will not show consistently.

For best (bad) results choose a filter that keeps the scrolling text available.

Thanks again for working on this!

just a heads up that i haven't forgotten any of this, some other projects came up that i thought had a higher priority. When those are done I will get back to this.

No problem. The UI is a very important part of the user experience so it is worth the wait.

I echo Gruso's request for list positions being saved at execution and when editing.

This would make running and configuring individual entries more intuitive as when you go 'back' it would go back to exactly where you were in the list.

Thanks!!!

Back