Picodrive 0.96

"DaveC" said:
Then there is the fact that not everyone can do massive overclocking. Using the second core allows for everyone to get good speed, even those of us with "lamer" units.

Full ACK.

"shinneri" said:
So were you clocking at 200mhz when you activated the 940?

Yes.

"shinneri" said:
If so, could you see how consumption is when underclocking? Say, at 160mhz?

Yes. No problem. I will look after that tomorrow.

Regards,
Stephan

Last edited by a moderator:
Some will not like my idea but... now that MegaDrive emu has come to a very advanced state, what about some screen filtering? MD Games is far more powerfull than it's Nintendo rival, but actually graphics are not as colorfull as on SNES... Is it possible to add some screen filtering? I don't know much about it, but ZSNES for example has differents filters like SuperEagle, 2x2sai or i-dont-remember-their-names, so is the GP2X powerfull enough to handle those enhancements?

I thought those were generally intended for displaying the small SNES-picture as bigger, without it looking absolutely horrible?

Ah, ask DaveC, and you'll get an opinion. :p

They are really only enhancements for a larger display. It's unecessary to add these filters since the GP2X is the same native resolution.applying filters to the same resolution would just introduce blurring in the GP2X screen.
It might be useful for upscaling the TV-Out output though...

Jarska333 is right, these techniques are used when the image is stretched, to make up for the appearing uneven rectangles etc. The games on the Megadrive are just perfect on the GP2X's screen, there is no need for stretching or filtering. Besides, filtering would not make the games look any more colorful.
On the other hand, Master System emulators could use some, but its pretty cpu intensive.

EDIT: Too slow :)

this option is only usefull for Nes or mestersystem/gamegear emulation beceause of the small resolution and when streached option is activated. for megadrive and snes emulation the screen of the GP2x is the nominal resolution (320*240).

OK for the resolution, GP2X' screen is perfect :) but still it may be cool for TV-out!

Or can't we just use higher resolution for TVout? I personnaly use my AC Adaptator when i'm at home, so i don't mind overclocking at 270 with dualcore on, if I can have a nice, clean image on my big TV :p

But what I was talking about, is more about colors : MD cannot render as many colors at the same time, so why not have some 'intelligent blur' to avoid those kind of color transitions, as seen on SOnic 3?

sonic2uy2.jpg

this filter use a lot of CPU cycle then you have to overclock your GP2x to use them.

Yod4z posted on Oct 20 2006 at 04:58 PM said:
this filter use a lot of CPU cycle then you have to overclock your GP2x to use them.

As long as it's de-activable, a little overclocking won't bother anyone... and thanks to this, we could not only have a good MD emulator, but also have a handeld better than the original MD itself! by improving the rendering on the TV and on the GP2X screen ;)

What about pluging a MD pad to our GP2X's?? :p

subcon959 posted on Oct 18 2006 at 10:55 PM said:
DBH posted on Oct 18 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
Street Racer doesnt seem to be working with sound on ... no idea why :(
Must be your rom, it works fine here.

Actually no my rom is fine. I tried to play the game with picodrive on dual core setting 940T for sound and it didnt work but if I don't use 940T for sound it works fine.

DBH posted on Oct 20 2006 at 04:41 PM said:
subcon959 posted on Oct 18 2006 at 10:55 PM said:
DBH posted on Oct 18 2006 at 10:43 PM said:
Street Racer doesnt seem to be working with sound on ... no idea why :(
Must be your rom, it works fine here.

Actually no my rom is fine. I tried to play the game with picodrive on dual core setting 940T for sound and it didnt work but if I don't use 940T for sound it works fine.
I use the dual core setting and it still works for me so maybe it's something else. One of the 'Accurate' settings maybe?

I got it working now with dual core ! dunno what the problem was lol but it fixed itself. Another thing how do I change these key to the proper way DrMD had it.. I accidently press the shoulder buttons and the thing does save state and reloads it... or changes the rendering... what are the proper key setups to have in the config file as im not familar with it... (i try to use turbo in it and I keep using the attack button lol)

reiboul posted on Oct 20 2006 at 06:04 PM said:
Yod4z posted on Oct 20 2006 at 04:58 PM said:

As long as it's de-activable, a little overclocking won't bother anyone... and thanks to this, we could not only have a good MD emulator, but also have a handeld better than the original MD itself! by improving the rendering on the TV and on the GP2X screen ;)

What about pluging a MD pad to our GP2X's?? :p

I seem to recall old TV's do that blur by default, making things look smoother... :)

I was wondering... since NeoGeo and Megadrive share some of their architecture (68000 main processor, Z80 for sound), would it be easy to port PicoDrive code to NeoGeo's?

reiboul posted on Oct 20 2006 at 08:01 PM said:
I was wondering... since NeoGeo and Megadrive share some of their architecture (68000 main processor, Z80 for sound), would it be easy to port PicoDrive code to NeoGeo's?
not the same sound processor YM2610 for neogeo and YM2612 for megadrive. quite the same but little difference but the great Pepone can do that B)

Yod4z posted on Oct 21 2006 at 02:08 AM said:
reiboul posted on Oct 20 2006 at 08:01 PM said:
not the same sound processor YM2610 for neogeo and YM2612 for megadrive. quite the same but little difference but the great Pepone cool do that B)

Mwahaha fullspeed Metal Slug :D

Wikipedia states a Z80@4Mhz for NeoGeo, and Z80@~3,5Mhe for Gnenesis/Megadrive
If frequencie is the only difference, then we're good ;)

i found a bug if i try to load Streets of Rage 3 (E).bin i go to a red screen and no more, i have try all differents options but is always the same :(

Yod4z posted on Oct 21 2006 at 01:36 PM said:
i found a bug if i try to load Streets of Rage 3 (E).bin i go to a red screen and no more, i have try all differents options but is always the same :(
I just tried Streets of Rage 3 (U) [!] and it worked fine. I'll see if I can find the (E) version and try that too.

subcon959 posted on Oct 21 2006 at 02:08 PM said:
Yod4z posted on Oct 21 2006 at 01:36 PM said:
I just tried Streets of Rage 3 (U) [!] and it worked fine. I'll see if I can find the (E) version and try that too.
there's no problem, i remplace my rom with news rom Streets of Rage 3 (E).bin and it work, the file have been damaged ;)

Back