Picture Of The Final Keymat?

Vorporeal

Yes, no, I, this is.
Website
Visit site
A new photo has appeared on MWeston's photobucket account, which seems to show the final keymat (aside from making the plastic a bit softer).

keymat.jpg

The layout looks good, not to mention that they've seemed to fix the alignment issues with some of the letters.

Vorporeal said:
A new photo has appeared on MWeston's photobucket account, which seems to show the final keymat (aside from making the plastic a bit softer).

The layout looks good, not to mention that they've seemed to fix the alignment issues with some of the letters.
Not that I am particularly bothered but I think you will find that the letter "D" is slightly higher than the others.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG so glossy

btw is this the one with the hardness fixed of still 2 hard? (on the other side, epoxy blobs looking pretty hard to me.)
(i know is the D-pad, but it gets fixed here or changing the Dpad piece?)

also this photo will do great at paperdora mapping.

XD, never expected to see Ctrl and Alt so above to the other keys.

Nation.A.List said:
Vorporeal said:

Not that I am particularly bothered but I think you will find that the letter "D" is slightly higher than the others.

I knew someone would find something wrong with it, hence "fix the alignment issues with some of the letters". :D

Vorporeal said:
Nation.A.List said:
Vorporeal said:

I knew someone would find something wrong with it, hence "fix the alignment issues with some of the letters". :D

please dont delay even more the panda for such a matter.

Nation.A.List said:
Vorporeal said:

the B seems a little to the right a bit also :lol:

it looks fine! Nice work guys.

Nation.A.List said:
Vorporeal said:

So is the "J".

Horizontal discrepancies don't matter. They aren't lined up in a column anyway, and if you look around some of the letters have more spacing than others. It doesn't matter - it's just a result of the font they chose.

Vertical discrepancies are much easier to notice, and will be distracting. I'm hoping the D/J will be fixed. ;) But not if it costs us another few weeks!

DroneB Dev said:
Vorporeal said:
Nation.A.List said:
Vorporeal said:

please dont delay even more the panda for such a matter.

As MWeston (or ED, not sure who) stated a while ago, when there were massive keymat discussions, changing the text printed on the keymats doesn't require any more time. All the team has to do is change the information in the image/file that the keymat producers are using, and that's that. Since they're really just being printed on, it's an "instant" fix - no need to make new molds or cut things out or whatever, they just use a different file.

hmm, it all depends, if they are using serigraphy it will take time to get the positive well printed, then the creation of the net canvas and chemical treatment takes at least 1 day.

plus the mounting and alignment in the printing machine gives nice 2 days delay. they should also register this one Two Days(tm)

im more worried on the epoxy blob adherence and mechanical stress if it will stay put or may break within some years of use.

i had once a toy that had epoxy blobs an the keys and when they fell, some did it in a nasty way, leaving spikes.

lucky thing this has the nubs so no extra strain on wasd

DroneB Dev said:
btw is this the one with the hardness fixed of still 2 hard? (epoxy blobs looks pretty hard to me.)
(i know is the D-pad, but it gets fixed here or changing the Dpad piece?)
Actually, it's the rubber, not the epoxy that is being made 20% softer, so that the keys are that much easier to depress and less fatiguing after extended periods of play.

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49602-disappointed-again/page__view__findpost__p__756704

DroneB Dev said:
XD, never expected to see Ctrl and Alt so above to the other keys.
It is a bit surprising, but since those buttons up there (including the ABXY buttons, d-pad and shoulder buttons) each have a dedicated line to the controller, it makes more key combinations possible (as opposed to the alpha keyboard portion which can only have a total of 2 keys depressed simultaneously.

AFAICS if you take the photo into a paint program and draw straight lines underneath the characters, the top and bottom lines look OK but the middle line...pretty much everything from D to K is visibly above the line, although K and S aren't too bad and D is definately the worst.

It looks a lot better than it did at one stage, though! :D

It looks great, and if the alignment can be changed without a delay I'm fine with that. It does look a lot softer then the previous ones so that's good too.

Well, I must say that planning a layout out of the keys on a device this small must of been an absolute nightmare! I was looking at the spacebar thinking that it looked a little strange on the right hand side, but now I see that it was probably the best location for it.
Very well planned.

btw does angstrom has any implementation similar to the Windows Sticky Keys? since a lot of keys will use Fn, we might need to for some Special Commands

To enter Fn lock mode you simply press and hold Fn and then press Fn. I mean... what? Or do you hold it for a determined amount of time to enter lock mode?

Back