Playing Html5 Games On Pandora

jb0yx said:
why would you dislike adobe? They make some quality products most of which are free to the end user. Adobe acrobat and flash are 2 of the greatest things to come to the modern internet... they created the pdf format which is used and loved by many and has become a internet standard for document viewing and printing, the document form of FLAC. Flash was pretty much the standard for any kind of streaming video and animation up until stuff like silverlight and java hit the scene (well java came out first but not by much) html5 is obviously the future as it gets rid of the need for such propritary plug-ins but I just can't see how you can dislike the ones that pretty much helped modernize the internet as we currently view it.
OT, but just had to respond. They started out making some nice products, but their recent software keeps getting bigger and slower. They did some good stuff in the past, but that doesn't mean you have to keep liking them. Keep in mind they don't care one bit about us, they just want to make money. Same goes for a lot a companies though, not just Adobe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Zotty said:
OT, but just had to respond. They started out making some nice products, but their recent software keeps getting bigger and slower. They did some good stuff in the past, but that doesn't mean you have to keep liking them. Keep in mind they don't care one bit about us, they just want to make money. Same goes for a lot a companies though, not just Adobe.
I agree totally, but I don't dislike them for wanting to make money, out of all the companies out there, and all the dev's there's a whole spectrum of what percentage of their hard work is to better the industry and what percentage of work is to make them money. It's the difference between a business and an organization. I am more of a glass half full type of person and enjoy the best of what there is to be had. I respect google as their main focus is to help the internet at large, the side effect, they get stupid rich. I really respect companies like that. Adobe might not be as good as google in this respect, but they do or did what they did for what seemed to be an honorable goal. For not to be charitable enough... well that's not really for me or you to decide.

If you paid them to support a platform and the amount of work required add that type of support, then that's another story.

Sites started using flash-video as it was the most reliable way to get video in the browser. For the same reason, they will start using html5-video once that works reliably. Too bad firefox's developers are being dicks and have implemented the entire video-decoder in the browser... No external libs or anything...

But it really does seem like there's something like 1½ parttimer working on flash at Adobe ATM. That's about how much improvement it sees... Lots of big talk, but nothing delivered.
Adobe never saw any money directly from flash. It was their other products, like dreamweaver and the server-stuff, that made it worth it to properly maintain and improve it (and make it work best with Adobe's server) . I guess those no longer make as much money as they used to, thanks to competition, so flash is losing its value as well...
If I were Adobe, I'd fully open-source flash. Less costs, and a better world for other products to be based upon.

After reading this topic, I thought I'd try my hand at an HTML5 Canvas Javascript Programming

Post is in the testing area, as I have no comparable hardware to test it with, anyone here want to give it a try?

Topic:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/53090-html-5-game-performance/page__pid__843227__st__0&#entry843227

This thread has kinda wound down but it seemed like a good a place as any for my post.

I've recently been playing around in html5 and I'd be very interested in whether it is a viable option for writing games for/on the Pandora.

My most recent effort ( still in progress ) is yet another version of Asteroids... If anyone is interested here is a linky to my site where you can find the latest version.

Any chance of one of the lucky people who have got their hands on a Pandora give it a go and see if it's playable ?

quietbloke said:
This thread has kinda wound down but it seemed like a good a place as any for my post.

I've recently been playing around in html5 and I'd be very interested in whether it is a viable option for writing games for/on the Pandora.

My most recent effort ( still in progress ) is yet another version of Asteroids... If anyone is interested here is a linky to my site where you can find the latest version.

Any chance of one of the lucky people who have got their hands on a Pandora give it a go and see if it's playable ?
Tried it in firefox, it says press "P" to play and nothing happens. I can change level with spacebar, but nothing ever makes the game start!

Tried it in firefox, it says press "P" to play and nothing happens. I can change level with spacebar, but nothing ever makes the game start!
Sorry... I guess the main page doesnt make things clear. It is still very much a work in progress and not a fully working game.

The Space key will cycle through the various stages of the game.

0. intro screen.
1. main page ( switches between demo and high scores )
2. game start message,
4. end game. Currently at this stage you play with the game a bit. You can fly the ship around ( cursor left, right, up ) and fire with the z key. Shots you fire will destroy the asteroids.
5. The screen for entering initials for the high score table. ( this is just a static screen at the moment).

To Do.
======

1. Expand collision detection to include ship->rock collisions.
2. Lives ( currently you just have the one life ).
2. Split big rocks into medium and then small rock.
3. Add scoring logic and display the score.
4. Login for entering initials for high scores.
5. Logic to switch between the game stages ( and add the main Play Game stage ).
6. UFO's
7. UFO shots
6. Some particle effects.

Its my first real attempt at using Javascript so the code will probably go through some more refactoring as I learn new techniques.

I WANT to play, and I can sort of play, but it keeps on comming up with top scores every couple seconds. I can move around and fire in between the top score screens but it isn't "playable" Looks nice though. :)

Google Chrome 5.0.375.29 beta

lol.. OK.. maybe I should have held off a bit longer until I had a more polished demo. :blush:

You are in the main stage. Hit the spacebar a couple of times until you see the Game Over message. This will allow you to fly around without interruption.

quietbloke said:
lol.. OK.. maybe I should have held off a bit longer until I had a more polished demo. :blush:

You are in the main stage. Hit the spacebar a couple of times until you see the Game Over message. This will allow you to fly around without interruption.
there we go!
PEW PEW PEW

It works pretty slowly in Arora on my Arch Linux, I imagine this prototype would be unplayable on the Pandora.
The Web Inspector says you have an error on line 727: "keyCodeValue [undefined] is not an object"

Back