Playing The Gp2x Outside

invinciblegod

Anyone notices how impossible it is to see the screen outdoors unless you are in an extremely shaded area? Even under a tree doesnt work. When I try to see it, it is very washed out and hard to see. Sort of like playing a gba in a dark place but instead of all the colors blending to become darker (black) it gets lighter. Sort of like if you put brightness on your monitor very high until most colors look like they are close to white. This makes it impossible for me to play it unless i'm indoors (which I'm often not). Even my phone is more playable (it is a cheap $20 one too). Any fix for this?

thats normal with backlight screens, in direckt sunlight a front or non light screen gives better results.
BLU=great contrast/black level in dark places, barley visible in bright places.
FLU=washed out/bad contrast lightely yellow tainted image, great visibility in dark places and in direckt sunlight.
NLU=good contrast/black level in direckt sunlight, not visible in darkness.

BLU visibility can be improved with various buyable screen coatings, but it dosnt realy do much of a difference.

well, if they increase the screen brightness (strength of backlight) it might help (like the nintendo ds lite).

I'm not always in a bus like you are. It doesn't have to be direct sunlight. I can't see clearly under a tree.

yup that annoys me loads
summer is comming up and i cant enjoy my gp2x outdoors.
there should be an option to turn off the backlight.

pantera6 posted on May 27 2006 at 05:33 AM said:

That will just make it worse.

Just try any LCD, like on a PSP or Nintendo DS and you will have a hard time seeing it in direct light. Don't even try the reflecty screens, you might loose an eye from the sun reflecting in your face.

Right now the best option is the Front light but it does not have very good contrast and colors. I do believe that OLED is supposed to be able to be seen in light, but I am not sure. If it can then it could quite possibly be the greatest advancement in screens sense the fist LCD.

Last edited by a moderator:
invinciblegod posted on May 27 2006 at 01:54 AM said:
Anyone notices how impossible it is to see the screen outdoors unless you are in an extremely shaded area? Even under a tree doesnt work. When I try to see it, it is very washed out and hard to see. Sort of like playing a gba in a dark place but instead of all the colors blending to become darker (black) it gets lighter. Sort of like if you put brightness on your monitor very high until most colors look like they are close to white. This makes it impossible for me to play it unless i'm indoors (which I'm often not). Even my phone is more playable (it is a cheap $20 one too). Any fix for this?

You don't mention what firmware, what programs, and if it is the reflection on the screen that is causeing your problem.

The hard screen cover on the top is very shiny like a mirror, when I played under a tree the reflection of the sky over my shoulder overpowered the image, the fix would be to use a matte or anti-glare finish screen cover or try to make sure that you don't see the sky reflected in your screen with a little hood on the GP2X.

Another problem could be playing the wrong games, if it is something like Quake it was never designed to be run outdoors, but GBC games and Sonic Series games usually have bright levels/colors.

I had to up the gamma on Quake a lot to even see it on the first firmware indoors, you might check to see if you are using firmware 2.0 and up the gamma in the control panel.

If none of this helps you then you have to face the fact that it is 6 LED lights running off of two highly stressed AA batteries competing against the raw power of a medium sized fusion reaction only one AU* away.

The reason you see the Cell-phone screen better is because it has a reflective surface underneath the LCD to use available light, this means a front-lit screen, which has been mentioned sucks majorly for accurate color.

*Astronomical Unit: the distance from the Earth to the Sun :)

invinciblegod posted on May 27 2006 at 04:18 AM said:
well, if they increase the screen brightness (strength of backlight) it might help (like the nintendo ds lite).

The backlight is too strong already, it can cause bad color washout if you don't crank down your gamma, too. I'm pretty sure the DS Lite added transflective displays...

I take my coat with me and put it over. It kills two birds with one stone:
- Not being able to see
- Idiots asking if it's a PSP

reallynotnick posted on May 27 2006 at 09:12 AM said:

The option should still be there, though, like on the SP. Sucks in the sun, but juices up battery life playing in a comfy chair with a reading lamp. :)

GeminiDomino posted on May 29 2006 at 03:18 AM said:

The option should still be there, though, like on the SP. Sucks in the sun, but juices up battery life playing in a comfy chair with a reading lamp. :)
No reflective LCD, NO VIEWING WITH BACKLIGHT OFF.

Are you doing this just to spite us?

Seriously, this is a backlight only screen, I don't expect to be able to see anything with the backlight off.

The ones you can see when off have a mirror-like surface behind the LCD, and even then they look like pure crap.

How can you "juice up" battery life on a 200mhz portable ARM by losing 6 LEDs?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nubie posted on May 29 2006 at 04:10 PM said:
GeminiDomino posted on May 29 2006 at 03:18 AM said:

No reflective LCD, NO VIEWING WITH BACKLIGHT OFF.

Are you doing this just to spite us?

Seriously, this is a backlight only screen, I don't expect to be able to see anything with the backlight off.

The ones you can see when off have a mirror-like surface behind the LCD, and even then they look like pure crap.

How can you "juice up" battery life on a 200mhz portable ARM by losing 6 LEDs?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

with the power of the mind :D

Any of you guys remember them cool magnifying glass things that cliped onto the old gameboys to make them playable in the dark/light? maby somebody could devise on of those for the Gp2x.

EDIT: Man I'm stupid.

Lettuce Dude posted on May 29 2006 at 09:59 AM said:
Any of you guys remember them cool magnifying glass things that cliped onto the old gameboys to make them playable in the dark/light? maby somebody could devise on of those for the Gp2x.

EDIT: Man I'm stupid.
ROFL :lol: :lol:

You are too funny, I am laughing right now.

Edit: with you not at you, I am just reminded of how many times I too have been so foolish :D

Back