Pnd Files

liquidgandalf

Still Fresh
Is it possible to be able to pass parameters to PND files,

Would be nice to be able to make desktop short-cuts which for example would enable the launching of Mame, and auto loading a rom, (so I could have a Pac-Man Icon on the desktop which essentially starts the pac-man game),

Also File associations,
is it possible to associate files with PNDs, i.e. avi's to auto load VLC and load the movie,

Be it a movie / emulator game or anything, Having to load up the App, then use some file system or other, browse to relevant files to start anything seems overly complicated,

When ever I try to show Off the pandora its very common for me to pass it to whomever, then 20 seconds later have to take it back to press a few buttons then pass it back,
Whom ever I'm showing the device to then blinks... 'Very nice but too complex for me' is the response

Derek,

LiquidG said:
Is it possible to be able to pass parameters to PND files,

Would be nice to be able to make desktop short-cuts which for example would enable the launching of Mame, and auto loading a rom, (so I could have a Pac-Man Icon on the desktop which essentially starts the pac-man game),
Yes it should be possible to make a shortcut with a command like the below, that is if the mame emulator accept files via a command line,
pnd_run.sh -p /media/SDHC/pandora/menu/snes9x4p_20101111.pnd -e snes9x -a "'/media/SDHC/roms/snes/ActRaiser\ 2.smc'"
LiquidG said:
Also File associations,
is it possible to associate files with PNDs, i.e. avi's to auto load VLC and load the movie,

http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php?/topic/2688-pnd-utils/
This should set movies to use panPlayer if thats good enough?

LiquidG said:
Be it a movie / emulator game or anything, Having to load up the App, then use some file system or other, browse to relevant files to start anything seems overly complicated,

When ever I try to show Off the pandora its very common for me to pass it to whomever, then 20 seconds later have to take it back to press a few buttons then pass it back,
Whom ever I'm showing the device to then blinks... 'Very nice but too complex for me' is the response

Derek,

Last edited by a moderator:
For the record, the PXML spec does allow a pnd to request association for certaimn file types, but we've not implemented it into the firmware yet.. ie: stick your SD in and poof, it all associates. But you can do it yourself.

(One complication of doign it automatically is orf coursde.. what if two apps want to fight over the association?)

jeff

skeezix said:
(One complication of doign it automatically is orf coursde.. what if two apps want to fight over the association?)

Flip a coin, /dev/urandom is your friend :)

skeezix said:

jeff

In that instance I would expect a popup window asking which app should open the file, - listing both (or more) files.
and Maybe a Always use this app in future tick box, (although not sure what would happen if you then subsequently removed the app, or indeed you add a new app with the same association)

Derek,

vimacs noted to me that its an old problem, and not ours to care about; we can register the assocs in the standard way we'd intended, and the freedesktop standard should already handle it (ie: xfce etc.)

So not my problem I suppose :)

jeff

is it possible to implement a heirarchal "list"... "Use a.pnd else use b.pnd, else use c.pnd" (maybe no more than 3 options ending with an "else ask" argument)... eliminating association errors with missing pnds... at least 1 or 2 fallbacks and a end option to just ask you what you wanna open this or that with.

Back