Release PND management suite

I just thought about a simple "options" menu or something like this, wehre you can adjust colours and so on. Like Apple would do...(no, don't kill me pls :D )
I know you did, that's why I added further explanation :) . Making things like these options and adding an options menu is not actually hard, but it makes the UI more complicated and harder to maintain. Also more resource hungry in some cases. Not coming for at least rebirth.

It depends how you would like to count upgrades. Most commonly known i'm sticky on OpenOffice 2.02 portable instead of all following updates, upgrades and forks to LibreOffice, because OO2.02p is smaller, runs without any local pc configuration and installation just from any media and does anything i need. For emulators improvements could have a negative effect on some software to be emulated. Especially during beta testing it's good to have a backup or history of the previous releases. I'd like to be better safe than sorry.
Hmm... OK. I'll keep these use cases in mind.

When is Yars coming out, approximately? When the 3.2 kernel works smoothly?

I just thought about a simple "options" menu or something like this, wehre you can adjust colours and so on. Like Apple would do...(no, don't kill me pls :D )
I know you did, that's why I added further explanation :) . Making things like these options and adding an options menu is not actually hard, but it makes the UI more complicated and harder to maintain. Also more resource hungry in some cases. Not coming for at least rebirth.
I agree with B-ZaR. More specifically, it doesn't really make sense to create a menu for editing the looks of the search, but it does make a lot of sense to find a good default look for it.

B-ZaR and Cloudef -- the following is a wild bet: sacrificing 10 or so pixels at the left screen edge (so that the left-hand search results no longer align with the left screen edge) might increase the overview. This is because there appears to be an imbalance of white space around the left-hand search results compared to the right-hand search results. To the eye it appears as if the white space around the left-hand results' descriptions belonged to the right-hand side results' icons, and the icons from the left-hand side do not have any such white space to their left.

Alternatively, try something like adding a small thin border at the right of every search result. Again, I do not know whether this will help or even whether it is necessary, because I have not used this software yet.

edit-25mar2012: Replaced accidental redundant sentence with newline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Christoph.Krn: Good idea. I added 8px padding to the two-column package listings, and it does look better.

I think this is the kind of i-stuff that will make Craig proud !! ;)

I think this is the kind of i-stuff that will make Craig proud !! ;)
He would be inconsistent if it did. Craig has mostly been bashing the back-end as over-engineered and complex. This back-end has not changed significantly.

He shouldn't really care about the backend, if the frontend is nice and smooth.

For emulators improvements could have a negative effect on some software to be emulated. Especially during beta testing it's good to have a backup or history of the previous releases. I'd like to be better safe than sorry.
Hmm... OK. I'll keep these use cases in mind.
Thank you! I found a prove for this situation:

It would be real cool if it's possible to add the pnd version tag to the filename of the backup.

So there I was, testing out the compo entries and chilling after a hard couple of months of intense coding, when mcobit comes to me in IRC and tells me upgrade isn't working. :p

Bugfix update coming today, problem already found and solved.

Another bugfix coming when we get to the bottom of another issue of some PND's showing wrong information.

http://cloudef.eu/pn...birthv2.tar.bz2

Here is the updated milkyhelper rebirth package that includes all the binaries for different platforms.

I'll upload bugfixed PND to repo later. The major bug affects pndmanager too.

If someone tested pndmanager or milkyhelper already, do remove /appdata/libpndman before getting the upgraded package.

EDIT:

Link to PND in repo: http://repo.openpand...app=milkyhelper

Through the repo's newsfeed I was just notified that b-Zar released PNDManager. Wow!

My question to B-Zar:

Is this the result of our forum discussion and the analysis in the wiki?

I'd be delighted if I my initiative encouraged this.

Will have a look at it somewhen later, and give my feedback.

Back